Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Study: 34 percent of parents store guns safely in home

86 posts in this topic

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-control-children-access-suicide-shootings-847008

Still, only about one in three, or 34.9 percent, of gun-owning parents said he or she stored all household firearms both locked and unloaded. The report based its findings on a 2015 online survey of 3,949 nationwide respondents.

While people who suffer from mental health conditions like depression are more likely to self-harm, gun-owning parents of kids with such conditions were not "significantly more" careful with their firearms than parents whose kids did not have the conditions, the report said. 

Safely store your guns, people.

True enough.

But have to say I question the 34.9%.  I thought it would be much lower.

I just recently spent about $150 for a personal handgun safe with a digital code lock after storing all my guns in full size gun safe for years.

Now I have a loaded handgun that is easily assessable and safely stored.  

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

True enough.

I just recently spent about $150 for a personal handgun safe with a digital code lock after storing all my guns in full size gun safe for years.

Now if we can get the other 65.1% to be cognizant of gun safety as you obviously are. 

18 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

True enough.

If it's loaded, you would fall into the 65.1 percent who are considered unsafe.

1 minute ago, Chesapeake Spirit said:

If it's loaded, you would fall into the 65.1 percent who are considered unsafe.

By who other than you?

The state of Maryland requires your firearm to be safely locked.  My handgun is safely locked in a Sentry Safe that requires a 8 digit number to unlock it.

Show me something other than your opinion and we will talk. 

15 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

By who other than you?

The state of Maryland requires your firearm to be safely locked.  My handgun is safely locked in a Sentry Safe that requires a 8 digit number to unlock it.

Still waiting

29 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

By who other than you?

14 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Still waiting

My PC froze, so had to reboot.  It's in the article referenced by the OP and in his first post's quote.

"Still, only about one in three, or 34.9 percent, of gun-owning parents said he or she stored all household firearms both locked and unloaded."

3 minutes ago, Chesapeake Spirit said:

My PC froze, so had to reboot.  It's in the article referenced by the OP and in his first post's quote.

"Still, only about one in three, or 34.9 percent, of gun-owning parents said he or she stored all household firearms both locked and unloaded."

Stored is a lot different than "secured".

If you "store" your handgun on top of the wardrobe, is that secure?

BTW I have grandchildren and have always "secured" my firearms in a locked safe.  Not "stored" in a closet or on top of a wardrobe.

1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

Stored is a lot different than "secured".

If you "store" your handgun on top of the wardrobe, is that secure?

BTW I have grandchildren and have always "secured" my firearms in a locked safe.  Not "stored" in a closet or on top of a wardrobe.

Your gun is "locked" in a safe, but it isn't "unloaded," which is what the survey questioned.  I would fall into the same group as you in this survey.  It wouldn't be much use to have it unloaded in the personal handgun safe.

BTW - ditto

Your gun is "locked" in a safe, but it isn't "unloaded," which is what the survey questioned.  I would fall into the same group as you in this survey.  It wouldn't be much use to have it unloaded in the personal handgun safe.

BTW - ditto

I read it and I have to say going by the surveys vague question: 

Still, only about one in three, or 34.9 percent, of gun-owning parents said he or she stored all household firearms both locked and unloaded. The report based its findings on a 2015 online survey of 3,949 nationwide respondents.

If locked means in a locked safe that only I and my wife know the code, then I am in the 65.1%.  But if locked means trigger locked, then that's a different question. 

Regardless, I feel more than confident my handgun is more than secure for my circumstance. 

10 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I read it and I have to say going by the surveys vague question: 

If locked means in a locked safe that only I and my wife know the code, then I am in the 65.1%.  But if locked means trigger locked, then that's a different question. 

Regardless, I feel more than confident my handgun is more than secure for my circumstance. 

It isn't the "locked" criteria that puts you (and me) in the 65.1% group.  It has to be unloaded too.  It's not an either/or question, both criteria must be matched.  My point is that their criteria isn't a good indicator in all cases.

It isn't the "locked" criteria that puts you (and me) in the 65.1% group.  It has to be unloaded too.  It's not an either/or question, both criteria must be matched.  My point is that their criteria isn't a good indicator in all cases.

Agreed.

Having a personal handgun safe secured to studs on a wall next to my side of the bed wouldn't do me much good storing an unloaded firearm.:D

I don't understand.  If it's locked in a secured gun safe, it shouldn't matter if it is loaded or unloaded to be safe.

2 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Agreed.

Having a personal handgun safe secured to studs on a wall next to my side of the bed wouldn't do me much good storing an unloaded firearm.:D

What if you had children in the house?

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

By who other than you?

Does it?  Is that only for households with kids?

From the article:

According to Giffords—a gun control group co-founded by co-founded by former Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords after she was shot in the head during in 2011—only one state legally requires firearms be kept locked: Massachusetts. The Bay State also has the lowest firearms-related death rate, according to 2016 CDC statistics, the latest data available. 

Sounds like Massachusetts is the only state that legally requires them to be locked.

3 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I don't understand.  If it's locked in a secured gun safe, it shouldn't matter if it is loaded or unloaded to be safe.

Exactly!  The survey is biased, and what isn't these days.  Agenda driven.

4 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

What if you had children in the house?

That's why it's locked in a safe:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Does it?  Is that only for households with kids?

For kids under 16 (I think).

5 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Thank you:).

17 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Agreed.

How does one decorate or accessorize that in the boudoir?

Wait, should I be asking you or ms jonsensback?

:D

Posted (edited)

http://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/2012/04/26/how-to-store-guns-safely-in-your-home.html

Keep it unloaded
The NRA recommends that gun owners should always keep their gun unloaded until it is ready to use. This is particularly important when you are storing your gun at home. Keeping your firearm unloaded at all times will help prevent accidents and injuries, even if it does accidentally fall into the wrong hands. It's also good practice to store your bullets separately from your weapons.

Edited by Pickle20

Anyone here use one of those biometric safes?  If so, could you tell me if you think are reliable in that 1.) It will keep kids and people out and 2.) If it will reliably open when you really need it to open?

It reads like a safe way to store a firearm with the ability to quickly access it.

'Raised two kids to adulthood with a loaded .45 or .38 stashed in a small safe, key access, only two keys.

They're gone now, so when home, I leave the little safe unlocked for quicker access.  'Lock the bugger up when I leave the house.

Kid's found safe, of course, but with keys around parent's necks, there's little they could do.  After that, they got 'the talk'.