Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Study: 34 percent of parents store guns safely in home

86 posts in this topic

This is what's known as a push poll, it's a poll worded in such a way to push an agenda. Also, AAP polls on guns are unreliable to begin with. I tell my wife and kids to tell the Dr., pediatrician, teacher, or anybody that asks about that it's not their business. My kids had a teacher in elementary school that passed out a form that asked if "mommy or daddy had a gun in the house". I told them to leave it blank. They were worried that the teacher would be angry and would question it. I said that if she has a problem with it to call me. I knew she wouldn't.

50 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

A locked and unloaded weapon is worthless if someone is breaking into your house st 3AM.

Exactly! Since I'm on my own again (THEY moved OUT this weekend YAY!) my Makarov is back on the night table shelf. All I have to do is rack it. Everything else is in the locked metal cabinet.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

A locked and unloaded weapon is worthless if someone is breaking into your house st 3AM.

If you’re worried about that to the point where a gun must always be loaded then maybe it’s time to move. 

Im just posting what Fox News and the NRA suggest. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

This is what's known as a push poll, it's a poll worded in such a way to push an agenda. Also, AAP polls on guns are unreliable to begin with. I tell my wife and kids to tell the Dr., pediatrician, teacher, or anybody that asks about that it's not their business. My kids had a teacher in elementary school that passed out a form that asked if "mommy or daddy had a gun in the house". I told them to leave it blank. They were worried that the teacher would be angry and would question it. I said that if she has a problem with it to call me. I knew she wouldn't.

The NRA suggests to keep the weapon unloaded and store ammo elsewhere, too. 

Edited by Pickle20

41 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Exactly! Since I'm on my own again (THEY moved OUT this weekend YAY!) my Makarov is back on the night table shelf. All I have to do is rack it. Everything else is in the locked metal cabinet.

You must really be worried that people are going to come for the big $150 payday you won in AC last week. 

Like I said, if you feel the need to keep loaded weapons around for intruders time to call Caldwell Banker. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

If you’re worried about that to the point where a gun must always be loaded then maybe it’s time to move. 

Im just posting what Fox News and the NRA suggest. 

Move where? I live in  a rural county where it might take the sheriff‘s deputy 20 to 30 minutes to show up. So, if some cretin breaks into my home at 3:00 a.m., should I ask him to put his bad intentions on hold as I pass him on the stairway on the way to the gun safe downstairs? The alternate reality some posters live in here is astounding. 

Edited by volperdinger

18 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

You must really be worried that people are going to come for the big $150 payday you won in AC last week.

Like I said, if you feel the need to keep loaded weapons around for intruders time to call Caldwell Banker. 

See my Last Post on the Trip i just put up. I brought back Most of what I took in the Envelope. Spent a Little but Nothing like what I bankrolled for. My Original bankroll was $500/day. AND I wound up staying 4 nites instead of 3 and still came back with Most of it.

My neighborhood still seems pretty safe but the shootings are getting closer and are picking up. Lived in this area my whole life and such things were just Unheard of once. There is only One demographic that has changed here in my 65 years on the planet. Take that as you will.

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

As long as that doesn't become a law, we're ok.;)

26 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

As long as that doesn't become a law, we're ok.;)

Agreed

4 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Keep it unloaded
The NRA recommends that gun owners should always keep their gun unloaded until it is ready to use. This is particularly important when you are storing your gun at home. Keeping your firearm unloaded at all times will help prevent accidents and injuries, even if it does accidentally fall into the wrong hands. It's also good practice to store your bullets separately from your weapons.

Edited 4 hours ago by Pickle20

You can keep "bullets" laying around anywhere. They'll only be a hazard if you shoot them out of a slingshot. Cartridges are another matter. 

Keep it unloaded
The NRA recommends that gun owners should always keep their gun unloaded until it is ready to use. This is particularly important when you are storing your gun at home. Keeping your firearm unloaded at all times will help prevent accidents and injuries, even if it does accidentally fall into the wrong hands. It's also good practice to store your bullets separately from your weapons.

You can keep "bullets" laying around anywhere. They'll only be a hazard if you shoot them out of a slingshot. Cartridges are another matter. 

Keep it unloaded

Keep it unloaded

Sorry about that. Even though it's the site's fault lol. :P 

How well do those fingerprint guns safes work and are they cost prohibitive?

Thanks ken.

I thought maybe some on here had experiences with that technology.

Secure your guns. But for real home security, make sure you have a quality home security system. Most people breaking into homes are looking to rob you. That alarm goes off, ours flashes lights, they will skedaddle. Actually happened to us once. We weren't at home but big excitement for the neighbors!

10 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

They suggest it, but wouldn't dream of lobbying for a law on it.

Hypocrites.

4 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Secure your guns. But for real home security, make sure you have a quality home security system. Most people breaking into homes are looking to rob you. That alarm goes off, ours flashes lights, they will skedaddle. Actually happened to us once. We weren't at home but big excitement for the neighbors!

Of course, if one is really worriesd about being burglarized, and I have to admit, it is so rare, its never crossed my mind, one could always get a dog.

14 hours ago, songfourone said:

How does one decorate or accessorize that in the boudoir?

Wait, should I be asking you or ms jonsensback?

:D

It's under the bed and out of sight.

My wife who does the decorating, decorated the master in a beach style, and as long as the personal safe stays hidden and doesn't impede with the surrogate anchor hanging over the bed or the fake crabs on the wall of the master bathroom,  it's all good.:D  

36 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

It's under the bed and out of sight.

My wife who does the decorating, decorated the master in a beach style, and as long as the personal safe stays hidden and doesn't impede with the surrogate anchor hanging over the bed or the fake crabs on the wall of the master bathroom,  it's all good.:D  

Sounds all good!

;)

Posted (edited)

biased survey. They defined "safely" as per their opinion of one size fits all while safely is a relativel term dependent on the particular circumstances of each individual home

Edited by Saticon3

2 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

biased survey. They defined "safely" as per their opinion if one size fits all while safely is a relativel term dependent on the particular circumstances of each individual home

It's also what the NRA recommends.

9 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Agree, home systems are great. Most burglars aren’t looking for confrontations.