Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
watchfulreader80

Mcdonogh football coach resigns

106 posts in this topic

smart move - his administration and all of the administrators in the A Conference-- EXCEPT LOYOLA--are clueless about the debacle of St Francis and their underhanded recruiting methods that have bought a Division III college team to the MIAA. These administrators could care less to listen to their head coaches about what this guy is doing down there --free tuition-college scholarship promises, free gear, free trips, free housing, promises that they will all be big time players, picking them up at schools to practice in the off season when not even registered yet to be at St Francis, constant harrassment to the parents of the potential recruit, undocumented ages when they move here. All we here is how great their program is because it helps the 16 homeless kids they found on the streets. I can guarantee you this -- NO homeless kid is recruited off the streets of Baltimore but 37 of them were found playing for other teams and brought in. Only Loyola was smart enough to say we aren't doing this anymore. So, Coach Dom, smart move. Many of us read between the lines as your timing to step down is the result of your own school people pretending there is no problem. And The MIAA Commissioner sits in his post office box with no interest to show what a Commissioner is supposed to do.

29 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

He got beat at his own game 

Stop the crying 

I wasn't aware Damico was funding the program out of his own pocket

Just now, RM7 said:

I wasn't aware Damico was funding the program out of his own pocket

If you think any coach doesn’t use some of his own funds to support his program in some way then you’re mistaken

1 minute ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

If you think any coach doesn’t use some of his own funds to support his program in some way then you’re mistaken

no I think you're mistaken 

36 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

He got beat at his own game 

Stop the crying 

I agree McD played the game and lost but you can't really believe that Poggi is doing what he is doing to help anyone but his ego. You of all people should know how many city kids is he really helping.  You have a kid who was with the program before Poggi arrived with Big 10 offer and committed that ends up at St Francis because of grades.  Come on man you hear about all these D1 guys but what about the academics. And the B'S about the homeless kids, Poggi and Hank don't even have the same number of kids in their lies

I will be honest as a life long public guy looking at this for the last 3 years now. What goes on is everything HS sports is not about in my view.

37 minutes ago, jbmad said:

I agree McD played the game and lost but you can't really believe that Poggi is doing what he is doing to help anyone but his ego. You of all people should know how many city kids is he really helping.  You have a kid who was with the program before Poggi arrived with Big 10 offer and committed that ends up at St Francis because of grades.  Come on man you hear about all these D1 guys but what about the academics. And the B'S about the homeless kids, Poggi and Hank don't even have the same number of kids in their lies

McD played the game when Poggi was at Gilman which was the same, can't compare to what's going on SFA.  

1 minute ago, RM7 said:

McD played the game when Poggi was at Gilman which was the same, can't compare to what's going on SFA.  

For sure, totally different game

I'm still shocked to hear that Coach Dom stepped down. 

32 minutes ago, scoutbmore said:

I'm still shocked to hear that Coach Dom stepped down. 

he was helped out

43 minutes ago, RM7 said:

he was helped out

So, do you think administration forced him out, or was he so frustrated that he just couldn't take it anymore?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, scoutbmore said:

So, do you think administration forced him out, or was he so frustrated that he just couldn't take it anymore?

He was absolutely forced out! I said this in  December that this was happening. The statement was just something that let him leave with dignity. 

McD is cleaning house. Soccer coach, women's lacrosse coach, and now Dom. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

54 minutes ago, city40blast said:

Ga why though?

I was told, the powers that be(the money man), didn't like the results for what he was paying. Also, there have been quite a few incidents at the school, with recruited players.

But I think the school is cleaning house, on the programs that have had questionable recruiting practices. 

We will see what happens with the wrestling team. They were the last bunch to step in it. 

GA, I agree with your post that Dom was forced out.  I also think that some of the headmasters are tired and concerned with the direction athletics in the MIAA are headed.  Obviously, much of this stems from St. Francis and the Poggi affect. When Biff was at Gilman, there was still some oversight as to who he could bring into the school and the number of available spots.  At St. Francis there is no oversight. It’s the Wild Wild West over there. Bring in whoever you want and let’s win. 

Lets face it, St. Francis is playing on an entirely different level when it comes to scholarships, housing, recruitment of players, etc.....  At most high schools if you have one D1 player on your team, you are lucky. If you have two or three, then you hit the lottery!  St.Francis has close to 30 players with FCS and FBS offers. This doesn’t happen by chance, this happens because you have a guy with a big wallet who can spend the money and buy a team. Look at Gilman before and after Biff was there. Look at St. Francis before Biff and now.  

Finally, with Dom either stepping down or being forced out and Loyola going Independent, you are now seeing the first steps to major changes in the MIAA.  The Coaches in the MIAA have no interest in playing St. Francis in football. The AD’s are aware of their concerns and the president’s are finally opening their eyes to what is happening at St. Francis. When a player from Gilman or Spalding gets seriously hurt after being tackled by five 4 star recruits from St. Francis who are being housed in row homes in Baltimore and are out of area, then you will see law suits directed at the MIAA for allowing this to happen.  My gut, the MIAA breaks up into an independent school league and a Catholic Schools League. The Independent schools have nothing in common with a St. Francis, nor does a Loyola.  The catholic schools will have to decide what their plan is, but changes are a coming! 

1 hour ago, Campy19 said:

GA, I agree with your post that Dom was forced out.  I also think that some of the headmasters are tired and concerned with the direction athletics in the MIAA are headed.  Obviously, much of this stems from St. Francis and the Poggi affect. When Biff was at Gilman, there was still some oversight as to who he could bring into the school and the number of available spots.  At St. Francis there is no oversight. It’s the Wild Wild West over there. Bring in whoever you want and let’s win. 

Lets face it, St. Francis is playing on an entirely different level when it comes to scholarships, housing, recruitment of players, etc.....  At most high schools if you have one D1 player on your team, you are lucky. If you have two or three, then you hit the lottery!  St.Francis has close to 30 players with FCS and FBS offers. This doesn’t happen by chance, this happens because you have a guy with a big wallet who can spend the money and buy a team. Look at Gilman before and after Biff was there. Look at St. Francis before Biff and now.  

Finally, with Dom either stepping down or being forced out and Loyola going Independent, you are now seeing the first steps to major changes in the MIAA.  The Coaches in the MIAA have no interest in playing St. Francis in football. The AD’s are aware of their concerns and the president’s are finally opening their eyes to what is happening at St. Francis. When a player from Gilman or Spalding gets seriously hurt after being tackled by five 4 star recruits from St. Francis who are being housed in row homes in Baltimore and are out of area, then you will see law suits directed at the MIAA for allowing this to happen.  My gut, the MIAA breaks up into an independent school league and a Catholic Schools League. The Independent schools have nothing in common with a St. Francis, nor does a Loyola.  The catholic schools will have to decide what their plan is, but changes are a coming! 

If Biff had taken his act to a suburban largely Caucasian private school and recruited the best 30 non minority players in the country to play for him, I'm guessing the MIAA (the heads of schools) would have booted the School out of the Conference without thinking about it. This current debacle has both racial and religious overtones. First, no Catholic head of school wants to criticize a successful minority order in the Church and their inner city mission. Second, the other non-religious private school heads don't want to be accused of being racist. This is the Wild West and the MIAA School leadership is too "politically correct" to challenge this insanity. What they should do is put in place and enforce a strict set of recruiting rules.That would be called leadership.

MOP, I agree with you 100%! This is all a result of the lack of leadership by the MIAA and the Heads of School. They have allowed this to problem to grow and did nothing! Now it’s so out of control that they are being forced to take some action.  This is certainly not what high school sports were intended to be. It’s time for the leadership to establish specific rules and guidelines and actually enforce them.

I have no issue with St. Francis wanting to be a National Power. Go be a National Power and play schools with a similar philosophy.  I just think the MIAA has to decide what it wants to be? 

Well said Campy.  I think it’s great that SFA can compete with top teams in the nation but start putting a schedule together that matches your goals.  I’m actually surprised SFA wants to be in MIAA.  Big deal you won an MIAA title and threw a little salt in Gilman administration eyes.  Check that box and move on.  

Where does the money come from, is there a benefactor or two?

47 minutes ago, Hambonepack said:

Where does the money come from, is there a benefactor or two?

McD got their money from the Luetkemeyer family. Funny thing is, I don't think any of them even went to Mcdonogh. I was very good friends in high school and a little afterwards with Julie Luetkemeyer, better known as the actress Julie Bowen(from Modern Family).  She went to Garrison Forest, also Roland Park Country, before going to boarding school. 

9 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

McD got their money from the Luetkemeyer family. Funny thing is, I don't think any of them even went to Mcdonogh. I was very good friends in high school and a little afterwards with Julie Luetkemeyer, better known as the actress Julie Bowen(from Modern Family).  She went to Garrison Forest, also Roland Park Country, before going to boarding school. 

Sorry for not being clear, I meant St. Francis.  How do they fund their boarded students?  Additional benefactor scholarships?

10 minutes ago, Hambonepack said:

Sorry for not being clear, I meant St. Francis.  How do they fund their boarded students?  Additional benefactor scholarships?

Hambone, for you to ask that question, you really must not know! And that's OK. But, just check in on this thread periodically thru the day and watch the answers that come in to your question. Gonna rock your world! lol

13 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Actually, it's a lot of the Rollins money that Luetkemeyer controls. Rollins was a trucking company magnet that was educated at McDonogh. He spent his entire life supporting McD and before he died, he created a endowment that he left in the hands of his banker and attorney (Luetkemeyer's father or Julie's grandfather). That control has passed to the current generation and I am sure that the  Luetkemeyer's have added to it with their substantial wealth. The new gym at McD is called the "RL" - Rollins Luetkemeyer Gym. Most people believe that Luetkemeyer's interest in helping to fund football team (kids in need) stems from his Dad's banking and real estate history (read the book "not in my back yard"). Old man L and a few other's were very instrumental in creating many of the poverty stricken areas of Baltimore thru adverse real estate practices (real estate sales codes that prevented blacks, jews and others from buying in certain areas). Making up for sins of the father from what I hear. The only problem with this is - it became more about building a top football team compared to helping the community and providing opportunity. It lost it's balance, just like Poggi has now with SF.