Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
watchfulreader80

Mcdonogh football coach resigns

106 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, standeeman said:

Sure DeMatha and St. Johns are trying to compete on the level, why not add one more.

Not by building there programs with Jr and Sr transfers they aren't.  I understand you're gonna have a handful of transfers I get that.  WCAC you need a special waiver if you transfer in after your Soph year or you have to sit out a year.  Schools build their foundation by the incoming classes, not by having 20+ transfers all with FBS/FCS offers.  WCAC isn't going for that.  I have no issue with SFA building the program, but when you go out and bring in every transfer strictly for football purposes and actively recruit other schools kids that's the issue I have.  WCAC doesn't want any part of that.  

11 hours ago, Terps22 said:

What I don't understand is what benefit does SFA even get by playing in the MIAA A division anyways? Go play the Gormans of the world and compete for a National Title. 

Poggi & Co have proved their point already.

The only school in the league that has the money to compete with SFA is Gilman and I just really don't see them pouring in the resources to do this especially if McDonogh is now going to de-emphasize athletics across the board. 

It will be nice to see the MIAA A return to some sanity in the near future. 

It’s extremely tough to go independent while trying to stay nationally relevant. There are only a few schools, like IMG, that would even think about taking that route. The combo of how expensive it is and finding teams to play you every week is rough. Like it or not, SFA needs the MIAA if they want to stay relevant as a program in the future. If the coaching staff wants to financially float the team for a few years as an independent, I’m sure Poggi can handle that burden, but when he decides to leave, SFA will be leagueless with no bankroll. Not a great look for all involved. Remember Stu Vetter? Anyone heard of Montrose Christian recently? Yea, it’s closed. 

The most irresponsible part of what SFA is doing is the transfer situation. Last year was ridiculous, but to keep doing it is almost asking to be forced out. You’ve got a great nucleus. Build the program off that like SJC and stop playing with fire. IMO this will not end well. 

I really don’t think SFA will be allowed in the WCAC. A few of the WCAC AD’s are not huge fans. I’ve heard DM is playing SFA, so that’s a step in the right direction, but this seems very unlikely. 

44 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

It’s extremely tough to go independent while trying to stay nationally relevant. There are only a few schools, like IMG, that would even think about taking that route. The combo of how expensive it is and finding teams to play you every week is rough. Like it or not, SFA needs the MIAA if they want to stay relevant as a program in the future. If the coaching staff wants to financially float the team for a few years as an independent, I’m sure Poggi can handle that burden, but when he decides to leave, SFA will be leagueless with no bankroll. Not a great look for all involved. Remember Stu Vetter? Anyone heard of Montrose Christian recently? Yea, it’s closed. 

The most irresponsible part of what SFA is doing is the transfer situation. Last year was ridiculous, but to keep doing it is almost asking to be forced out. You’ve got a great nucleus. Build the program off that like SJC and stop playing with fire. IMO this will not end well. 

I really don’t think SFA will be allowed in the WCAC. A few of the WCAC AD’s are not huge fans. I’ve heard DM is playing SFA, so that’s a step in the right direction, but this seems very unlikely. 

You’re right on, and is what people don’t understand. SFA needs the MIAA, a lot more than the MIAA needs them. If SFA goes independent, they will not be a program in less than 5 years. Biff would be able to float them a few years, but not consistently. He doesn’t have that sort of bankroll. IMG has a machine worth billions behind them. Different world.

I have absolutely no problem with what SFA is doing, outside of taking away enrollment spots from local kids, who need the school(have a big problem with that), but I also believe this will not end up well for SFA in the long run. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, RM7 said:

Not by building there programs with Jr and Sr transfers they aren't.  I understand you're gonna have a handful of transfers I get that.  WCAC you need a special waiver if you transfer in after your Soph year or you have to sit out a year.  Schools build their foundation by the incoming classes, not by having 20+ transfers all with FBS/FCS offers.  WCAC isn't going for that.  I have no issue with SFA building the program, but when you go out and bring in every transfer strictly for football purposes and actively recruit other schools kids that's the issue I have.  WCAC doesn't want any part of that.  

I see your point now, then SFA is building a model similar to IMG. Can't wait to see their up and coming 2018 football schedule.

Edited by standeeman

2 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

You’re right on, and is what people don’t understand. SFA needs the MIAA, a lot more than the MIAA needs them. If SFA goes independent, they will not be a program in less than 5 years. Biff would be able to float them a few years, but not consistently. He doesn’t have that sort of bankroll. IMG has a machine worth billions behind them. Different world.

I have absolutely no problem with what SFA is doing, outside of taking away enrollment spots from local kids, who need the school(have a big problem with that), but I also believe this will not end up well for SFA in the long run. 

The Rev can always take back over the program

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, standeeman said:

I see your point now, then SFA is building a model similar to IMG. Can't wait to see their up and coming 2018 football schedule.

WCAC an MIAA are just leagues you have whole states and associations banning teams from playing IMG because of these tactics.  

Edited by RM7

This could a very simple solution to the St. Francis Football recruitment issue since the leadership in the MIAA refuses to take any real action. If you are a MIAA A conference football school, forfeit the game vs them and move on. We all know it’s not a level playing field. Schools can use the injury concern as a reason why to forfeit to them. There is certainly enough reasons why a school could justify not playing them or choosing to forfeit to them.  Especially a contact sport like football when they’re already lots of Concussion & CTE concerns.  Think about it? If McDonogh or Spalding as an example stated that they had serious concerns from an injury standpoint and wanted to forfeit their game vs STF who would object?  Just refer to their (STF) roster and the 30 plus players from outside the area/State with FBS & FCS offers as the reason why to forfeit.  Same reason why a high school team doesn’t play a college team. I watched STF vs. Loyola this year and it was men playing vs. boys. It was a paid for high school all star team vs an average typical local high school football team.  Force them to change by forfeiting games to them.  Thry either pull out of the league and play a national schedule or make recruitment changes in order to stay in the MIAA.  It’s Going to be hard to convince a player to come to STF when you only play 6 games a year?  

9 hours ago, Campy19 said:

This could a very simple solution to the St. Francis Football recruitment issue since the leadership in the MIAA refuses to take any real action. If you are a MIAA A conference football school, forfeit the game vs them and move on. We all know it’s not a level playing field. Schools can use the injury concern as a reason why to forfeit to them. There is certainly enough reasons why a school could justify not playing them or choosing to forfeit to them.  Especially a contact sport like football when they’re already lots of Concussion & CTE concerns.  Think about it? If McDonogh or Spalding as an example stated that they had serious concerns from an injury standpoint and wanted to forfeit their game vs STF who would object?  Just refer to their (STF) roster and the 30 plus players from outside the area/State with FBS & FCS offers as the reason why to forfeit.  Same reason why a high school team doesn’t play a college team. I watched STF vs. Loyola this year and it was men playing vs. boys. It was a paid for high school all star team vs an average typical local high school football team.  Force them to change by forfeiting games to them.  Thry either pull out of the league and play a national schedule or make recruitment changes in order to stay in the MIAA.  It’s Going to be hard to convince a player to come to STF when you only play 6 games a year?  

What message will that be sending to the 8th grader that the forfeiting schools are trying to recruit? Wouldn't that make the 8th grader want to play for SFA even more? 

19 minutes ago, scoutbmore said:

What message will that be sending to the 8th grader that the forfeiting schools are trying to recruit? Wouldn't that make the 8th grader want to play for SFA even more? 

Not if there are no teams to play. Remember the tough times ECA had getting games especially after Sils left

Most good 8th graders won’t play for SFA because they will recruit transfers in from 5 hours away that are superstars.  As parent, you should look for school that is best fit for your son.  It’s great to wear the t-shirt but will you actually play and enjoy your high school experience.  

4 minutes ago, Bully said:

Most good 8th graders won’t play for SFA because they will recruit transfers in from 5 hours away that are superstars.  As parent, you should look for school that is best fit for your son.  It’s great to wear the t-shirt but will you actually play and enjoy your high school experience.  

It’s become apparent, with Poggi involved it’s not about the high school experience. It’s all ego driven, starts from the top and filters down through the Ranks. 

11 hours ago, Campy19 said:

From what I hear that was discussed last year, and not one program forfeited their games.

New HC named, former assistant and Maryland Terp, Hakeem Sule.

5 hours ago, gillytech said:

McDonough to McDonogh

I think he actually went to McDonogh, not McDonough. 

Yes, he played for Dom @ McDonogh, then went to U of M, contributed on special teams there. Where has he been coaching? Was he on staff already at his alma mater?

16 minutes ago, HY3:13 said:

Yes, he played for Dom @ McDonogh, then went to U of M, contributed on special teams there. Where has he been coaching? Was he on staff already at his alma mater?

believe he was the lb coach there

13 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I think he actually went to McDonogh, not McDonough. 

That makes more sense.  His UMd bio page was wrong.

On 4/10/2018 at 9:51 PM, Campy19 said:

Agree

On 4/11/2018 at 7:23 AM, scoutbmore said:

What?! Did you really actually have a thought process behind this statement!  Kids would want to go play at a place where they play LESS games.  Stop eating the lead paint chips please!

1 hour ago, Tiger1012 said:

What?! Did you really actually have a thought process behind this statement!  Kids would want to go play at a place where they play LESS games.  Stop eating the lead paint chips please!

Well said!

On 4/10/2018 at 1:17 PM, jbmad said:

The Rev can always take back over the program

Shiiiiiiid that won’t happen they are looking for a way to send him up Concordia Prep where he belongs 

On 4/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Tiger1012 said:

Its obvious that you haven't been recruited or had to recruit! All players think that they are the best and want to play for who they think are the best at the time. The talk of Forfeiting games vs SFA is sending a clear message to the best kids that SFA instills major fear and they would want to be apart of that!

2 hours ago, scoutbmore said:

Its obvious that you haven't been recruited or had to recruit! All players think that they are the best and want to play for who they think are the best at the time. The talk of Forfeiting games vs SFA is sending a clear message to the best kids that SFA instills major fear and they would want to be apart of that!

My thoughts exactly!

Posted (edited)

On 4/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, Pcola96 said:

My thoughts exactly!

On 4/16/2018 at 7:39 AM, scoutbmore said:

Someone get the lead out of Baltimore City Waters Please!  Imma call the Mayors office for yall. These two believe not playing games and practicing will bring recruits because of the FEAR! 

Hahahahahaha.....so you think if no one schedules IMG or pulls form games, studs would transfer there because they instill fear.  Get a clue.

Scout...if you only knew who you were talking too....

Edited by Tiger1012