Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

When they shouldn’t be driving anymore, take the keys away!!

61 posts in this topic

2 dead in wrong way crash on I-695 https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/2-dead-in-wrong-way-crash-on-i-695

This woman was 88yrs old, missing all day from York PA, drives the wrong way on our beltway...killing a man head on at 2am 

SILVER ALERT| 74-Year-Old Woman Missing https://foxbaltimore.com//news/local/silver-alert-04-05-2018

and this woman is a Silver Alert because she continued up 83N instead of getting off at Padonia Rd. She gets confused and disoriented. She’s probably in York PA by now.

Why are these people still driving? If you have a relative that gets confused or disoriented or shows signs of dementia/Alzheimers PLEASE TAKE AWAY THEIR KEYS!!  

Do we know if she had a preexisting medical condition?

Drivers should be required to be tested behind the year every two years starting at 60 up to 70, and every year after that. 

Reflexes and reaction time at that age isn't what it used to be even without signs of dementia. 

The woman's preexisting condition was that she was 88.  That's just too old.  Period.

My friend's mother was killed in car accident the other day due to an episodic event while driving. She was 63 and healthy. One never knows when we will experience the unexpected. So . . . nonsense to testing at 60.

12 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

My friend's mother was killed in car accident the other day due to an episodic event while driving. She was 63 and healthy. One never knows when we will experience the unexpected. So . . . nonsense to testing at 60.

60 is ludicrous. 70 makes more sense.

Testing driving skills every two years starting at 60 would at worst be only a mild inconvenience.  It could save lives.  Taking and passing it wouldn't be a problem at all if they drive and have the great responses and reflexes they think they do.

Driving is a regulated privilege, not a right. People think they can hold a cell phone and drive safely too. That should be an automatic suspension of driving privilege without exception because people ignore the law now.

Just now, Ode2Joy said:

Testing driving skills every two years starting at 60 would at worst be only a mild inconvenience.  It could save lives.  Taking and passing it wouldn't be a problem at all if they drive and have the great responses and reflexes they think they do.

Driving is a regulated privilege, not a right. People think they can hold a cell phone and drive safely too. That should be an automatic suspension of driving privilege without exception because people ignore the law now.

Why 60? Why not 55?  50? 

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Why 60? Why not 55?  50? 

Dementia and Alz is more common after the age of 65 but can start earlier.  60 is arbitrary, but seems like a good age for a head's up approach to detecting people who maybe shouldn't be driving.  Many people in their 50s are still part of the work force and actively engaged on a regular basis. 

I meant no disrespect to you if you are in your 60s.  I'm just pointing out that there should be an arbitrary starting point to check driving skills.  Maybe you think it should be 50 or 55. 

If you believe all the hype about completely self driving cars being just a few years away, your 95 year old grandma will be able to get there safely as long as she can tell the car where she wants to go. No more collisions. Think of the money that will be saved on infrastructure. Street and highway signage of any kind will be no longer needed. No more red light or speed cameras  No more guard rails, even on bridges as this new technology is going to be fail-safe.

https://s17-us2.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freakingnews.com%2Fpictures%2F70500%2FCar-with-no-Steering-Wheel-70565.jpg&sp=d733d13243dea278fd66ba781da9c15c

28 minutes ago, SonOf Scribbler said:

If you believe all the hype about completely self driving cars being just a few years away, your 95 year old grandma will be able to get there safely as long as she can tell the car where she wants to go. No more collisions. Think of the money that will be saved on infrastructure. Street and highway signage of any kind will be no longer needed. No more red light or speed cameras  No more guard rails, even on bridges as this new technology is going to be fail-safe.

https://s17-us2.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freakingnews.com%2Fpictures%2F70500%2FCar-with-no-Steering-Wheel-70565.jpg&sp=d733d13243dea278fd66ba781da9c15c

Couldn’t disagree more. 

They might want to start at 20.  In my experience the most dangerous people on the road are soccer mom's taking the little darlins to school and various activities.

They rarely drive even close to the speed limit, push lights, and are on the phone.

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Why 60? Why not 55?  50? 

Why not retest everyone. Drivers now don't know what a yield sign means or a stop sign. Then some must buy cars without turn signals.

2 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Dementia and Alz is more common after the age of 65 but can start earlier.  60 is arbitrary, but seems like a good age for a head's up approach to detecting people who maybe shouldn't be driving.  Many people in their 50s are still part of the work force and actively engaged on a regular basis. 

I meant no disrespect to you if you are in your 60s.  I'm just pointing out that there should be an arbitrary starting point to check driving skills.  Maybe you think it should be 50 or 55. 

Distracted driving, whether due to illness, cold medicine, mobile device, changing the station, whatever, is very common and leads to more accidents that simply being over the age of 60.

Start testing at social security age: 66 

Driver’s licenses should be renewed every 4 years after that with a behind the wheel test. No more 8 yr renewals - too many health related things can happen to a person over 60 in the span of 8 years. 

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

Why not retest everyone. Drivers now don't know what a yield sign means or a stop sign. Then some must buy cars without turn signals.

Based on my observations, the more expensive or larger the automobile, the less likely it is to have working turn signals.;)

3 hours ago, SonOf Scribbler said:

According to a report filed by the California DMV, a Google autonomous car ran into the side of a bus at low speed. The full report reads: 

http://bigthink.com/natalie-shoemaker/why-google-self-driving-car-crash-is-a-learning-experience

44 minutes ago, Struds said:

Based on my observations, the more expensive or larger the automobile, the less likely it is to have working turn signals.;)

You noticed that too. Ohhhh the signal probably work just fine.....it is the operator that isn't. 

Actually in MD....seems that turn signals should be an option...hardly anyone uses them. I do. More than once I have flipped it on for a turn and slowed down....suddenly I hear horns....and someone giving me the finger as they cut around me. 

Horns should also be an option....would cut down the noise from a-hole drivers. 

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Start testing at social security age: 66 

Driver’s licenses should be renewed every 4 years after that with a behind the wheel test. No more 8 yr renewals - too many health related things can happen to a person over 60 in the span of 8 years. 

Your kidding  

From what I have heard.....your drivers test in the car isn't even on the street anymore. 

2 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Distracted driving, whether due to illness, cold medicine, mobile device, changing the station, whatever, is very common and leads to more accidents that simply being over the age of 60.

Sprightly, I started this thread because these two elderly women should not have been driving. The first one, at 88, was lost...from York PA. She was clearly beyond having the ability to navigate. It was 2am, she’d been missing for over 12 hours!!

The second woman was supposed to be following her husband but didn’t. He must have thought she could do that simple feat, but he was wrong...and she became lost too. 

This is about noticing things about the elderly that signal they shouldn’t be endangering themselves and others on the roads. 

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Your kidding  

From what I have heard.....your drivers test in the car isn't even on the street anymore. 

The driver’s test is on the course at DMV and if you pass that, you are immediately taken out onto the road in traffic. 

My soon to be daughter-in-law gives those tests. 

Guido, don’t put in your 2cents unless you know what you’re talking about...which you rarely do. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

17 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The driver’s test is on the course at DMV and if you pass that, you are immediately taken out onto the road in traffic. 

My soon to be daughter-in-law gives those tests. 

Guido, don’t put in your 2cents unless you know what you’re talking about...which you rarely do. 

What part of 'from what I have heard' did you miss.

You could have simply said ' no Guido ...that is not the case....my daughter....etc.'

But no you had to be a jerk. 

2 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Ten dollars to a doughnut ....bet ....if you eliminated....drunk/drug driving....and teenage and muscle machine mentality. I wager that the majority of accitdents are cause by people texting or talking on the cell. 

I know this much....God forbid ....I am in an accident ...the first thing I want pulled is the cell phone records. 

I wonder what the reporting standards are for Doctors that are required to notify the MVA about medical conditions that would prohibit driving?  I know there are requirements when it comes to brain disorders.  I wonder if there are others?  Maybe doctors could help make recommendations when it is no longer safe for individuals to drive. 

12 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

I wonder what the reporting standards are for Doctors that are required to notify the MVA about medical conditions that would prohibit driving?  I know there are requirements when it comes to brain disorders.  I wonder if there are others?  Maybe doctors could help make recommendations when it is no longer safe for individuals to drive. 

Well considering that are a ton of nutbags that are not in the gun background check system.... I doubt this is no where near and issue. 

4 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

My husband had a heart attack in Aug and since it was “witnessed” (hospital term) he was not to drive for 6 mos. The reasoning behind that is if something else heart-related is going to happen, it’s usually in the following 6 mos. 

However, that was only told to us, not reported to DMV. 

That got us thinking...if every person that suffered a “witnessed” heart attack - meaning EMT transferred to hospital - was reported to DMV and paperwork was generated to suspend their license, then regenerated after 6 mos (provided no further complications) to reactivate the license, can you imagine the extra work involved? Additionally, the cardiologist’s  office would be spending extra time just dealing with DMV. 

Just telling someone they’re not supposed to drive for 6 mos doesn’t really mean anything. Trust me. :rolleyes: