Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

When they shouldn’t be driving anymore, take the keys away!!

61 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

My husband had a heart attack in Aug and since it was “witnessed” (hospital term) he was not to drive for 6 mos. The reasoning behind that is if something else heart-related is going to happen, it’s usually in the following 6 mos. 

However, that was only told to us, not reported to DMV. 

That got us thinking...if every person that suffered a “witnessed” heart attack - meaning EMT transferred to hospital - was reported to DMV and paperwork was generated to suspend their license, then regenerated after 6 mos (provided no further complications) to reactivate the license, can you imagine the extra work involved? Additionally, the cardiologist’s  office would be spending extra time just dealing with DMV. 

Just telling someone they’re not supposed to drive for 6 mos doesn’t really mean anything. Trust me. :rolleyes:  

Sounds like you husband was stubborn about the driving...I am the man....I drive?

Me....after being married for over 30 years... I learned....no matter what I did ....my driving sucked.

So I went with KISS.....I hand her the keys. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Sounds like you husband was stubborn about the driving...I am the man....I drive?

Me....after being married for over 30 years... I learned....no matter what I did ....my driving sucked.

So I went with KISS.....I hand her the keys. :lol:

A man ALWAYS drives.

5 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

A man ALWAYS drives.

We made it 4 mos. By then, I was done being chauffeur and he was fine. But if I’d had any indications that he wasn’t fine, I would’ve fought him on it. 

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

My husband had a heart attack in Aug and since it was “witnessed” (hospital term) he was not to drive for 6 mos. The reasoning behind that is if something else heart-related is going to happen, it’s usually in the following 6 mos. 

That got us thinking...if every person that suffered a “witnessed” heart attack - meaning EMT transferred to hospital - was reported to DMV and paperwork was generated to suspend their license, then regenerated after 6 mos (provided no further complications) to reactivate the license, can you imagine the extra work involved? Additionally, the cardiologist’s  office would be spending extra time just dealing with DMV. 

Just telling someone they’re not supposed to drive for 6 mos doesn’t really mean anything. Trust me. :rolleyes:  

Well, it's really up to the person to follow the rules/laws/doctors orders/MVA directions. Even if you take someone's drivers license away, it is up to them to do the right thing. If they get caught, they pay the price. It would be nice if they would get caught before they hurt someone, I guess that's wishful thinking. 

Sounds like your husband got lucky that nothing happened if he chose to drive after directed not to do so.  Glad he didn't have a relapse while driving and hurt an innocent person.  It seems to me that people that choose not to follow direction are selfish and reckless.   

Maybe this 88 yr old lady had been told not to drive, who knows.   

Edited by Cowboyz

2 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Maybe this 88 yr old lady had been told not to drive, who knows.   

She probably didn’t remember. That’s why someone needed to take away the keys. 

31 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well considering that are a ton of nutbags that are not in the gun background check system.... I doubt this is no where near and issue. 

Are there clearly written laws/rules about reporting "nutbags" with regard to background checks?  I thought that was one thing people were pushing to pass? 

1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

She probably didn’t remember. That’s why someone needed to take away the keys. 

Maybe they did? Maybe there was a spare she hid. There are a lot of different possible scenarios. When my Mom lost the ability to drive, I was lucky because she didn't fight us on it.  I'm sure she could have been creative enough to find a way to have a key made. Maybe she was alone in the world and didn't have any help.  Either way, it sucks.  Now two people are dead because she drove when she clearly should not have been. 

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Are there clearly written laws/rules about reporting "nutbags" with regard to background checks?  I thought that was one thing people were pushing to pass? 

I don't want to derail this thread. But the issue is ...that there are none....other than ...HIPPA and Dr's ...resisting and saying that can't be included. And the laws as they stand.....back that up..none inclusion. 

Edited by Guido2

10 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Maybe they did? Maybe there was a spare she hid. There are a lot of different possible scenarios. When my Mom lost the ability to drive, I was lucky because she didn't fight us on it.  I'm sure she could have been creative enough to find a way to have a key made. Maybe she was alone in the world and didn't have any help.  Either way, it sucks.  Now two people are dead because she drove when she clearly should not have been. 

We had the same issue with my FIL. He was very independent ...drove fine ....and one day....he just disappeared in his van. Three days. He was found....we discussed taking the car away...he resisted...emphatically. It was not till we brought him into our home...to finish out his days on this earth...that he knew ...we would be there and take him wherever he wanted to go. Did he relax....and enjoy the remainder of his life. 

It is likely a very scary thing to give up your only life line to the real world ....that is the car. 

I would imagine ....years ago centuries....grandpa may have gotten old....but he could still ride the horse....the horse would bring him home....or grandpa would die in the saddle....and not cause a 20 horse pile up. 

Sometimes progress isn't so good I guess. 

26 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

We had the same issue with my FIL. He was very independent ...drove fine ....and one day....he just disappeared in his van. Three days. He was found....we discussed taking the car away...he resisted...emphatically. It was not till we brought him into our home...to finish out his days on this earth...that he knew ...we would be there and take him wherever he wanted to go. Did he relax....and enjoy the remainder of his life. 

It is likely a very scary thing to give up your only life line to the real world ....that is the car. 

I would imagine ....years ago centuries....grandpa may have gotten old....but he could still ride the horse....the horse would bring him home....or grandpa would die in the saddle....and not cause a 20 horse pile up. 

Sometimes progress isn't so good I guess. 

Getting old sucks in many ways. I can't imagine losing my ability to drive but I hope I handle it like my Mom did. 

Actually, I'd give it up now if someone would drive me everywhere!! :) 

6 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Getting old sucks in many ways. I can't imagine losing my ability to drive but I hope I handle it like my Mom did. 

Actually, I'd give it up now if someone would drive me everywhere!! :) 

:You married? Hand the keys to your wife...that is what I do. Saves a lot of back seat driving narrative. :D

Funny thing is..... I was taught to drive by my father who drove buses...in NYC and across the country.....I was a cop....so I had to take their courses....that was fun....LOTS OF FUN.....I had one accident...that was not my fault.....my wife several.

Yet according to her.....my driving sxcks....so I hand her the keys. :D

Happy wife ....happy life. 

5 hours ago, overtaxed said:

They might want to start at 20.  In my experience the most dangerous people on the road are soccer mom's taking the little darlins to school and various activities.

They rarely drive even close to the speed limit, push lights, and are on the phone.

Agreed.  Some of the worst aggressive driving I have seen was from 20-somethings male and female.  

For me it's usually guys in souped up pick-up trucks.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

For me it's usually guys in souped up pick-up trucks.

To me is the 'bad boy want to be's with the beat up Accord and the big thunder pipes. 

Or living where I do....it could really be bad boys that don't give a shxt and are running from the cops....had more than my share of those observations.....cops racing up behind you is a clue. 

Edited by Guido2

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

When you say witnessed "heart attack" do you mean after the blood work comes back and the heart attack is confirmed? Or do you mean a witnessed cardiac arrest, when the heart actually stops beating and he looses consciousness? I'm just curious. I've had 2 heart attacks.

9 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

When you say witnessed "heart attack" do you mean after the blood work comes back and the heart attack is confirmed? Or do you mean a witnessed cardiac arrest, when the heart actually stops beating and he looses consciousness? I'm just curious. I've had 2 heart attacks.

Loss of consciousness 

Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

Loss of consciousness 

Oh, I see.

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

:You married? Hand the keys to your wife...that is what I do. Saves a lot of back seat driving narrative. :D

Funny thing is..... I was taught to drive by my father who drove buses...in NYC and across the country.....I was a cop....so I had to take their courses....that was fun....LOTS OF FUN.....I had one accident...that was not my fault.....my wife several.

Yet according to her.....my driving sxcks....so I hand her the keys. :D

Happy wife ....happy life. 

Happily divorced after 28 years of marriage during which my husband drove most of the time and I hated it, he was always *****ing about everyone else's driving. . I've been in a relationship for a while now, we pretty much split the driving.  I really don't mind driving but I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have too either.  I drive him crazy because I ask him to stop a lot so I can take pics.  I really enjoy taking pictures of almost anything, just a hobby..  

8 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Why 60? Why not 55?  50? 

Why not every 2 years from the time you get your license until the time either fail or die?

Moronism, incompetence and/or a brain addled by drugs and/or alcohol are no respecters of age.

My Grandfather on my Mom's side drove till sometime in his early 80's then he had an accident, no injuries to anyone thankfully, as he began to start having Mini-Strokes. He was still caring for my Grandmother who was suffering Senile Dementia. They both passed at like 91 & 92. Everyone says they wish everyone has a Good Long Life but what I've seen is it gets Ugly in the 80's. Crap! I'm 65 now and it's staring me in the face. I'm still Working and believe that's the Best thing to do. I have no outstanding health issues myself Now anyway. Didn't even get a Cold much less the Flu this year as I got my shots early. Can't remember the last time I ever took a Sick Day off. So far my Constitution is holding up well. Driving Accidents? I haven't had one of those since '96 when a lady hit me in the rear. No Tickets since maybe '82 or thereabouts!

On 4/5/2018 at 9:46 PM, Ode2Joy said:

Drivers should be required to be tested behind the year every two years starting at 60 up to 70, and every year after that. 

Reflexes and reaction time at that age isn't what it used to be even without signs of dementia. 

The woman's preexisting condition was that she was 88.  That's just too old.  Period.

Yea, that's getting up there ......

My dad's 84 and in great shape, hits the gym a couple times a week, still golfs at least once a week and has no mental issues, but .....

He won't drive at night and doesn't get on highways .....

Self imposed restrictions .....

16 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

Happily divorced after 28 years of marriage during which my husband drove most of the time and I hated it, he was always *****ing about everyone else's driving. . I've been in a relationship for a while now, we pretty much split the driving.  I really don't mind driving but I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have too either.  I drive him crazy because I ask him to stop a lot so I can take pics.  I really enjoy taking pictures of almost anything, just a hobby..  

I have been married once and we have been married unofficially/officially for 34 years. Looking forward to at least another 25. Well at least I am....now my wife.....;):D

7 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

My dad's 84 and in great shape, hits the gym a couple times a week, still golfs at least once a week and has no mental issues, but .....

I don't know if it is because people are more aware of it or not. But a lot of people I know don't like driving at night anymore.

I doubt it is really their vision is going....one person that won't is 55. I think it is because of the new 'bright lite' halogens and such. Before every car had similar head lights so your eyes could sort of adjust to the constant stream of on coming 'off yellow'. Now. light intensity is up and down...blue....white....very bright.....very very bright...then 'nomal' then bright ...very bright....and so on.

I think your eyes just can't adjust fast enough due to the ups and downs. I have more than once been 'hit' by someone with search lights on the front of their cars....and totally lost my night vision.....pretty scary in traffic. 

6 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

If I make it far enough my self imposed limit will be 70. There are simply too many transportation options to risk my life or anyone else’s at that age. When I die, I don’t want it to be in a car accident. 

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

If I make it far enough my self imposed limit will be 70. There are simply too many transportation options to risk my life or anyone else’s at that age. When I die, I don’t want it to be in a car accident. 

That's a personal decision but 70 is young if you keep yourself in good shape ....

70 year olds beat me in every race I run from 5ks to marathons .... 

I'm almost 60 and know health is a fickle thing but hopefully I'll be as mentally and physically fit as my dad was at 70....

Edited by Eastside Terp