pitbull

Davis close to tying Ripken’s strikeout record?

35 posts in this topic

According to the Baltimore Orioles’ Facebook site, Davis needs only 98 more strikeouts to overtake Cal for the team’s all-time leader.

Is this true?

Cal played for us for two decades. Davis has been here seven years, six full seasons.

K Machine

It's true. Cal got to his total in 3001 games. Crush only took 908. AJ is #3 on the list: 1164 in 1474 games. 

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

According to the Baltimore Orioles’ Facebook site, Davis needs only 98 more strikeouts to overtake Cal for the team’s all-time leader.

Is this true?

Cal played for us for two decades. Davis has been here seven years, six full seasons.

Players today don't give a rat's *** whether they strike out 200 times a year.  As long as they're hitting homeruns, the money train will continue to it's destination. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

K Machine

It's true. Cal got to his total in 3001 games. Crush only took 908. AJ is #3 on the list: 1164 in 1474 games. 

AJ has been here a decade so makes sense. I guess Cal was selective with his K’s :)

Two hundred plus strikeouts is considered a small price to pay for homerun power (not that Davis has shown much of that of lately, either). The emphasis now is all on getting the ball in the air.

Speaking of strikeouts, I came across this nugget a while back and had to rub my eyes to make sure I was seeing right.

Who average more strikeouts per season over the course of their major league career, Lou Brock or Boog Powell?

13 hours ago, pitbull said:

AJ has been here a decade so makes sense. I guess Cal was selective with his K’s :)

I use to listen to the Ripken Bros. show on XM, and one day Cal said that a strike out is no different than any other out. I am still puzzled by that, because other than a double play, every other version of putting the ball in play, has more potential for something good to happen. A sac fly, an error by a defender, moving a runner over, all those things seem better. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I use to listen to the Ripken Bros. show on XM, and one day Cal said that a strike out is no different than any other out. I am still puzzled by that, because other than a double play, every other version of putting the ball in play, has more potential for something good to happen. A sac fly, an error by a defender, moving a runner over, all those things seem better. 

I know.  I don't understand that mentality either but it's obviously pervasive in the sport today.  When you make contact, anything can happen and during the course of a 162 schedule, more good things will happen than bad in my opinion.  And if you add speed to the equation, it's even more advantageous.  I'm kind of surprised Cal even made that comment considering he was always old school. 

25 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I've never found ol' Carl to be the brightest student of the game.

2 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I've never found ol' Carl to be the brightest student of the game.

I disagree. He used to call pitches IIRC.

Davis' K rate this year, so far is 1/4.33 PA.  Last year it was 1/2.65 PA.

That is a marked improvement.  He is on pace for only 133 Ks this season.

And, he bunted last night.  Poorly.  But he still tried.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Davis' K rate this year, so far is 1/4.33 PA.  Last year it was 1/2.65 PA.

That is a marked improvement.  He is on pace for only 133 Ks this season.

And, he bunted last night.  Poorly.  But he still tried.

Eh, it doesn't matter. I'd rather Davis be K'ing 200+ times and hitting 30-40 HR than K'ing in the low 100's and hitting below .100 with limited power.

I think he's trying to cut down on the K's. Not a bad thing on the surface but it's coming at the expense of his power.

Either way I think he's finished and the O's will eat the remaining $115 million on his contract.

Edited by Pickle20

Last time Davis was in this kind of abyss was 2014 when he hit.196.  Oh, he also failed 2 drug tests trying to get his Mojo back.  So many red flags the O's chose to ignore.  

If I were management I would sit down with Davis and explain that he has two choices:

1. Remain on the ML roster, but not to count on starting regularly until he can show that he can fix his hitting problems; or the most desirable choice:

2. He gets sent down to AA to work on it and let someone else take his roster spot until then. If he were a team player he would do more than just break bats with his leg.

17 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

If I were management I would sit down with Davis and explain that he has two choices:

1. Remain on the ML roster, but not to count on starting regularly until he can show that he can fix his hitting problems; or the most desirable choice:

2. He gets sent down to AA to work on it and let someone else take his roster spot until then. If he were a team player he would do more than just break bats with his leg.

These are good ideas that will never happen under Buck's watch.  Last summer would of been the perfect time to send Tilly down to get squared away if he would agree to it.  Buck chose to ruin the season and ride Tilly and UJ to the bottom of the AL East.  He will do it again with the cast of duds he has assembled again this year. 

Also I don't know what the MLBPA rules are on shipping a guy to the minors even if he agrees to do it.  Need some of those fake injuries like Kolby just got, LOL!!!!!

Chris Davis holds all the cards here. He can say no to whatever the O's ask of him. He's guaranteed to get paid either way.

20 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I know you say this with the full understanding that it will never happen. But it made me think of a couple of points.

1) Regarding being a team player, team players don't hold out, in an effort to squeeze a couple mill. more out of their team. Thus leaving the team in a holding pattern, unable to make other moves, while they wait on your greed to be properly satiated.  

2) Angelos isn't going to allow (what he thinks is a drawing card) to be sent down. His reaction would be, "I'm not paying him $25M/yr to play in Bowie. Of course, Pete doesn't attend or even follow the games, so he doesn't realize Davis isn't inspiring anyone to travel to the yard.  

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I know you say this with the full understanding that it will never happen. But it made me think of a couple of points.

1) Regarding being a team player, team players don't hold out, in an effort to squeeze a couple mill. more out of their team. Thus leaving the team in a holding pattern, unable to make other moves, while they wait on your greed to be properly satiated.  

2) Angelos isn't going to allow (what he thinks is a drawing card) to be sent down. His reaction would be, "I'm not paying him $25M/yr to play in Bowie. Of course, Pete doesn't attend or even follow the games, so he doesn't realize Davis isn't inspiring anyone to travel to the yard.  

I know the weather had something to do with it, but the Orioles had a record-breaking low attendance yesterday. If that doesn't awaken him nothing will.

But yes, when I posted it I knew that it would never happen. I also think the Crouseman is correct that it would have to go through the union as well ( I really don't know the rules though).

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I also think the Crouseman is correct that it would have to go through the union as well ( I really don't know the rules though).

Veterans Consent:

If a player has 5 years of major-league service, he may not be assigned to a minor-league team without his consent. This exclusion applies regardless of whether he has not yet been outrighted once, has remaining options, or has cleared waivers. If the player withholds consent, the team must either release him or keep him on the major league roster. In either case, the player must continue to be paid under the terms of his contract. If he is released and signs with a new team, his previous team must pay the difference in salary between the two contracts if the previous contract called for a greater salary.

I doubt they would release him, since they'd be on the hook for all but the Major League minimum if someone else picked him up.  And why wouldn't another team take a flier for for the minimum?

Edited by Thirteen

1 minute ago, Thirteen said:

Veterans Consent:

Thanks. So it would be up to Davis. Again, if he were a team player he would go down to fix it IMO.

What's he going to fix in AA or AAA? He had some good peak years in his late 20s, now they're over.

I am renewing my season tickets so I can watch the strikeout count unfurled on the Warehouse as Davis approaches Ripken’s record.

Three strikeouts tonite. Can’t make this stuff up.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:43 PM, pitbull said:

I am renewing my season tickets so I can watch the strikeout count unfurled on the Warehouse as Davis approaches Ripken’s record.

Now that’s funny.