Slidemaster

4/5 Lets Go Yankees game thread

48 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

Oh well, tough luck today.  Come back and get number 6 tomorrow.

Oh well, you can't lose them all.

5 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Most of us understand that. Unlike you, however, and speaking only for myself, I still root for the team to win. If they're out of it by the All-Star Break, then I'll look a the upside in that they'll now have a chance to move some of their pending free agents and hopefully improve the farm system. Should the Orioles lose 100 games, then again, the positive will be a more advantageous position in the amateur draft. 

I will not, however, spend an entire season rooting for the Orioles to crash and burn. That's weak.

Every cloud has a silver lining, but in your case, I'm beginning to suspect the opposite may be true.

Well said.

Might just be me, but Mancini seems like a better leadoff than Davis.

Just now, ivanbalt said:

It's just you. :P

4 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

I'm sorry... the is biggest ton of b.s. I've ever come across. I'm not throwing in the towel on a team after the seventh game of the season.

To be fair, I'm not throwing in the towel at the seventh game of the season. I threw in the towel before the season started because it is entirely obvious what this team is capable of, and what they need. If you feel they are a World Series contender, then by all means root against their best interest in the long-term.

13 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Lame

I'm with you....it almost made me root for the birds...almost.

5 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

The stakes are too high this year.  The ramifications of having a mediocre season will be felt for years.

It means getting nothing for Manny.  It means nothing for Brach or Britton or Jones.  It means getting another mid-level C+ prospect in the first round of the draft.  They could turn their entire farm system around in 2 years if they suck this year.  If they limp along at .500?  It could take 3 times that.

They must suck to be good.  I care enough about the team to want what's best for it even if it isn't any fun.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a single poster here, that wasn't part of he collective "Ughh" that was let out, when the O's added Hellickson last Aug., rather than trading away assets. And I think most, if not all, the folks here are in total agreement with you, that this team is an unlikely playoff team that would have been better off punting on 2018. But what you're doing is abrasive and unnecessary. We know how you feel, and I bet there are others who are also rooting for a crash and burn. Just try to tone it down a bit.   

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

It ain't just you, brutha

Great start by Cashner, Mancini better than Davis just like most of us thought at lead-off and Buck managed a good game.  Also, Krush and Kolby had hits.  Woohoo.  Slide is in trouble now :D.  Don't get too worked up yet Slide, the Gasman and Tilly will probably get this ship back on the rocks.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Great start by Cashner, Mancini better than Davis just like most of us thought at lead-off and Buck managed a good game.  Also, Krush and Kolby had hits.  Woohoo.  Slide is in trouble now :D.  Don't get too worked up yet Slide, the Gasman and Tilly will probably get this ship back on the rocks.

And, like with Buck's management "style", it's 50/50 -- a total coin flip. Which is why I hold out no hope that that will significantly change in 2018. He is what he is, and he ain't what he ain't. It appears that this team might just do what the Washington Bullets/Wizards did for an eternity -- play just well enough to tease and hover around the playoff mark -- but disappoint in the end. (Then, of course, there's the Capitals, who dominate in the regular season then fold like a cheap suit in the playoffs, kind of like Andy Reid teams.)

On 4/6/2018 at 8:06 AM, Slidemaster said:

To be fair, I'm not throwing in the towel at the seventh game of the season. I threw in the towel before the season started because it is entirely obvious what this team is capable of, and what they need. If you feel they are a World Series contender, then by all means root against their best interest in the long-term.

You must have had a lousy weekend.

17 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

You must have had a lousy weekend.

LOL. Still...somewhere between Slidemaster and Travis Moon lies the truth.

2 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

LOL. Still...somewhere between Slidemaster and Travis Moon lies the truth.

Yeah...

I've just always been a big believer in playing the games before conceding defeat. If we're clearly out of at the trading deadline I'd say sell but I don't quit in April.

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Yeah...

I've just always been a big believer in playing the games before conceding defeat. If we're clearly out of at the trading deadline I'd say sell but I don't quit in April.

I tend to take a different approach -- fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me. Seeing Showalter insist year after year after year on maintaining under performing and under achieving players is simply undeniable. And when I see patterns like that, I respond and don't need to wait to see how it's going to play out. I already know how it's going to play out. Showalter's all or nothing style and over loyalty to some players hurts the team and pretty much puts a ceiling at around .500 in terms of how high these birds can fly. Personally, I've had it with the whole mess. But hey...that's just me. So I think I fall somewhere in between S.M. and T.M.....although I'm way more to the pessimistic side than the optimistic side.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I tend to take a different approach -- fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me. Seeing Showalter insist year after year after year on maintaining under performing and under achieving players is simply undeniable. And when I see patterns like that, I respond and don't need to wait to see how it's going to play out. I already know how it's going to play out. Showalter's all or nothing style and over loyalty to some players hurts the team and pretty much puts a ceiling at around .500 in terms of how high these birds can fly. Personally, I've had it with the whole mess. But hey...that's just me. So I think I fall somewhere in between S.M. and T.M.....although I'm way more to the pessimistic side than the optimistic side.

The flip side to that and part of the reason that Showalter has been named manager of the year three times is that most years he gets his team ready to play and seems to get performances out of the team as a whole that we wouldn't expect. That was certainly true during the first improbable playoff run of this most recent stretch. 

Last year, I openly wondered whether or not he had lost the clubhouse.

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

The flip side to that and part of the reason that Showalter has been named manager of the year three times is that most years he gets his team ready to play and seems to get performances out of the team as a whole that we wouldn't expect. That was certainly true during the first improbable playoff run of this most recent stretch. 

Last year, I openly wondered whether or not he had lost the clubhouse.

Or...as some posters have stated...that he'd lost his mind. Bringing in UJ while Britton sat on the bench was insane. And while awards like MOTY are great, they don't tell the whole Showalter story. He's always been quirky and while I don't want to take any credit away from him, I think he's very over rated. Just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Or...as some posters have stated...that he'd lost his mind. Bringing in UJ while Britton sat on the bench was insane. And while awards like MOTY are great, they don't tell the whole Showalter story. He's always been quirky and while I don't want to take any credit away from him, I think he's very over rated. Just my opinion. 

It's not even that Britton was in the pen. He had Tommy Hunter ready to come out and throw smoking hot fastballs. Jimenez should not have even been on the roster for a one game game playoff

54 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

It's not even that Britton was in the pen. He had Tommy Hunter ready to come out and throw smoking hot fastballs. Jimenez should not have even been on the roster for a one game game playoff

That too.

;)

So while he's a good team builder and he cultivates loyalty, which is great, his blindness when it comes to certain critical situations ends up undermining everything he's worked so hard to establish in the first place. It's maddening to me. And I want him gone. He can take this team no further. There's no doubt about it in my mind.

6 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

That too.

;)

So while he's a good team builder and he cultivates loyalty, which is great, his blindness when it comes to certain critical situations ends up undermining everything he's worked so hard to establish in the first place. It's maddening to me. And I want him gone. He can take this team no further. There's no doubt about it in my mind.

Often forgotten, Buckeroo left Vance Worley off the 25 man roster for the one game playoff roster in a loyalty play to UJ.  Worley was very good that year as our long man out of the pen.  Perfect guy for an extra inning game.  

The 25 man could of been reshuffled for the next series then.  Oh, he had Bundy available too in the pen and passed.  So Buck made several blunders leading up to this disastrous loss. 

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Often forgotten, Buckeroo left Vance Worley off the 25 man roster for the one game playoff roster in a loyalty play to UJ.  Worley was very good that year as our long man out of the pen.  Perfect guy for an extra inning game.  

The 25 man could of been reshuffled for the next series then.  Oh, he had Bundy available too in the pen and passed.  So Buck made several blunders leading up to this disastrous loss. 

Good points. He's a real head scratcher sometimes.

7 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

That too.

;)

1 post season series win in his career. And he's never voluntarily left a MLB managerial position. 

I've said this before, but it's relevant here. The thing that is truly frustrating about the Buck situation, is this. In NY, PHX, and TX, Buck was a major influence on the architecture of those teams, and their systems. His NY team won multiple WS, his D-Backs team won a WS, and his Rangers team went to back to back WS (didn't win, but still impressive). He comes to Baltimore, and is given greater authority than he had in any of his previous stops. It sounds like a recipe for amazing success, right? And maybe he'll finally be able to be around to reap the rewards of what he sewed, right?  

Instead, we have this mess of a team. 

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, weird-O said:

1 post season series win in his career. And he's never voluntarily left a MLB managerial position. 

I've said this before, but it's relevant here. The thing that is truly frustrating about the Buck situation, is this. In NY, PHX, and TX, Buck was a major influence on the architecture of those teams, and their systems. His NY team won multiple WS, his D-Backs team won a WS, and his Rangers team went to back to back WS (didn't win, but still impressive). He comes to Baltimore, and is given greater authority than he had in any of his previous stops. It sounds like a recipe for amazing success, right? And maybe he'll finally be able to be around to reap the rewards of what he sewed, right?  

Strap in for that oldie but goodie Davis, Trumbs, Alvarez lineup!!!  Trumbs in RF.  Coming to a theater near you in late April!!!  Is that the mess you are referring too???

Edited by CROUSEMAN

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

Make no mistake...Angelos is at the heart of this mess...he always has been. And I don't want to lay ALL the blame at Buck's feet -- that would be patently unfair. But to excuse his continuous blunders would be unfair -- and untrue -- as well.