Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Tillman’s era is 8.65

69 posts in this topic

So far, same as last year.

When does the experiment end?

When he struggled in ST, a few people commented that he should be given a month (4 starts) to get on track. If, after those 4 starts, we're still seeing the guy he's been since last year, then call it quits. I agree with that approach. But he's one of Buck's guys. And it was Buck and Brady who stayed in touch, and worked out his extension. Given Buck's long track record of loyalty over winning, I think the experiment will end somewhere around Sept. 30th. Sure, Buck will weave him in and out of the rotation, but if he holds true to his past behavior, he won't let Tillman be released.   

I think he makes it until the all star break at least.  Either as a starter or long man.  He may get bumped from rotation when Cobb comes back, but Buck will let him hang around in the bullpen waiting for that next opening.  Like when Wright implodes or Gasman pulls a lat.  There is no way Buck is going to admit he was wrong on this one.  

The other number that is tell tale is the his WHIP is 2.46.  That's worse than last year too.  And he only has 3Ks in 9 plus innings.  Hey give him 2 more starts and see what happens.  But it doesn't look good at all.  

Ubaldo is still available, give it time...

Speaking of which, the guy who Buck basically refused to remove from the rotation for 4 years no matter how poorly he performed, is now a free agent who NOBODY else has taken a chance on.

23 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Ubaldo is still available, give it time...

Speaking of which, the guy who Buck basically refused to remove from the rotation for 4 years no matter how poorly he performed, is now a free agent who NOBODY else has taken a chance on.

Yeah we had a couple guys from last year that were Buck stalwarts that barely got a phone call over the winter.  Hardy looks like he is out of baseball for good along with UJ.  We bid against ourselves on Tillman.  No one and I mean no one was giving him a ML deal.  The Tigers worked him out and may have offered a minor league deal.  If he had signed a minor deal he would not of made a big league roster with his spring performance.  Well Buck I guess would of brought him north if he was on 2 feet with arm attached.

This is a big start for Mike Wright today. If he pitches decent, then, with Cobb due to make his first start on the 14th (same day Lincoln was shot and the Titanic hit the iceberg, if you're really into metaphors), what happens next? With two decent starts under his belt against good lineups, Wright almost certainly wouldn't clear waivers if he were sent back. 

Tillman, on the other hand, isn't going to be of much use out of the bullpen, unless it's one of those 15-1 blowouts and the rest of the bullpen guys are pretending they're not home when the phone rings down there.

Wright didn’t make it out of the first inning. He should be DFA. He sucks and always will. 

I always liked Tillman, shocked to see how far he’s fallen.

Mike Wrong shines again.

2 hours ago, pitbull said:

I always liked Tillman, shocked to see how far he’s fallen.

It’s unfortunate 

Tillman’s stuff actually didn’t look terrible.  Bad, yes, but worth 3 more starts.  If he doesn’t get the ERA below 5.50, then bullpen or DL.

12 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

Tillman’s stuff actually didn’t look terrible.  Bad, yes, but worth 3 more starts.  If he doesn’t get the ERA below 5.50, then bullpen or DL.

Huh? He had no control. FB tops out at 90. No command of his curve. He's finished. But he'll probably get 30 more starts, not to mention 3.

11 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Huh? He had no control. FB tops out at 90. No command of his curve. He's finished. But he'll probably get 30 more starts, not to mention 3.

I like those 3 or 4 pitches a start that miss outside by 4 feet and hit the back stop on one hop.  That's special :D

Anybody know how Yelfey Rameriez looked this spring??  Looked like he had a good first start in AAA.  Ex-Yank DD claimed last summer.

I'm looking for replacements for Cortes, Tillman and Wright.  I'm still not sold Hunter Harvey is ready, but would probably be better than these 3.

10 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Anybody know how Yelfey Rameriez looked this spring??  Looked like he had a good first start in AAA.  Ex-Yank DD claimed last summer.

I'm looking for replacements for Cortes, Tillman and Wright.  I'm still not sold Hunter Harvey is ready, but would probably be better than these 3.

he must of been pretty good.  Called before today's game to replace Cortes - DFA.

Well, this Red Sox game should do it.  Tillman likely to be released tomorrow I would imagine.  Why even bother with him in the bullpen.  Wow, never seen a career come to such a screeching halt.

Six more runs tonite. Hopefully, Tillman is released AND Big Dan is fired as a result of this debacle 

1 hour ago, Balmerboh said:

Wow, never seen a career come to such a screeching halt.

It has been a shocking decline.

The unwillingness to DFA or release Tillman is becoming almost surreal.

On the bright side, in a game like this, Thorne and Palmer telling stories about the old Metrodome in MSP are like two Advil taking care of a headache. Palmer invoking a cruise liner when he was telling a story about picking off Hrbek ... great stuff. Then something about Lowenstein bashing his head in the press box and Proctor laughing his a** off about it. A spoonful of sugar makes this kind of gamey game go down a bit better. 

Grand Canyon was eroded away into its glory at a greater tempo than Davis swings his bat these days. 

I am deadly serious when I say that Tillman is the most valuable player on this team.

Posted (edited)

From what I've seen so far, the Red Sox seem to be a better team -- maybe substantially better -- than the Yankees. I think they're better defensively overall, and I think they've got a balanced offense that may not be as intimidating as the Yankees', but may be in the end as effective. 

Edit: Wright couldn't pull off a Givens there. 

Edited by catatonia

Just saw that Tillman's ERA has ballooned to 11.91!   Wow, Buck, just wow.  It will take some brass ones to roll your boy out there again in 5 days!!

Chris Tillman is and I are clearly rooting for the same thing.