Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Tillman’s era is 8.65

69 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Can't hurt.  We know the owner sucks.  But so does his FO and Manager.  2017-2018  W/L 80-98 say they suck!!!

I don't care who your manager and GM are. If you're not allowed to make serious money offers to the top free agents, it doesn't matter, Casey Stengel and Branch Rickey couldn't turn this team into a winner under Angelos constraints.

Good point because a new owner would sweep these guys out the front door as his first order of business.

Or perhaps the new owner would allow these guys to work with less constraints.

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I don't care who your manager and GM are. If you're not allowed to make serious money offers to the top free agents, it doesn't matter, Casey Stengel and Branch Rickey couldn't turn this team into a winner under Angelos constraints.

Somehow we had the best record in the AL from 2012 thru 2014.  What changed???

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Chicken and egg debate.  I vote for clean sweep.

4 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Somehow we had the best record in the AL from 2012 thru 2014.  

Who do you attribute that to?

3 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Chicken and egg debate.  I vote for clean sweep.

I'm not against that, I just don't see how it helps.

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Sticking with Tilly is all I need to see from BBD to know they have lost it. Oh and hitching their wagon to Davis.  Not sure DD wanted him back, but Buck and Brady did.  And that contract and performance have crushed this franchise.

Sticking with Tilly is all I need to see from BBD to know they have lost it. Oh and hitching their wagon to Davis.  Not sure DD wanted him back, but Buck and Brady did.  And that contract and performance have crushed this franchise.

His contract didn't crush anything. This team had plenty of money available this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Who do you attribute that to?

MacPhail, Duquette and Buck.  After 2014 and the Toronto debacle, DD got stripped and Buck got more personnel power.  And Buck does what he does everywhere he has been. He wears out his welcome and his teams underperform.

3 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

MacPhail, Duquette and Buck.  

So you attribute the wins to Duquette and Buck, yet want them gone. Gotcha :huh:

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

His contract didn't crush anything. This team had plenty of money available this offseason. 

That's 23 mil wasted plus his performance is dreadful.  Crushing blow to the franchise.  Plus 4 more years of it.  You could get two players who can actually play for that amount.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

So you attribute the wins to Duquette and Buck, yet want them gone. Gotcha :huh:

You don't get it.  The dynamic has changed.  Plus no one stays good forever.  Both have declined in performance.  They need to be gone just like anyone else that isn't doing there job for an extended period.  That's simple simon stuff.

This is 2018 now Ken.  Not 2014!  Hello???  80-98 2017-2018!!!!

Edited by CROUSEMAN

46 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Why dont you get it

Oh I get it; if Peter Angelos had any common sense, he would have fired Duquette yesterday. 

However, I doubt he pays attention

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

During the hot stove season, when Davis became a FA, I was regularly listening to the baseball station on XM. Jim Duquette was a regular host at the time (I assume he still is, but I no longer commute, so I don't listen any longer). At the beginning of that FA season, Davis was considered a big FA. He got lots of attention. Jim said the Orioles best approach would be to make their best offer to CD, and make it early. If he accepts, great, if not, move on. He went on to say that the worst possible approach would be to put everything on hold, and wait for Davis. Because the O's could find themselves standing out in the rain, if Davis moves on, and the market has already been picked clean. 

Before I continue, it's important to remind everyone of two things. JD is DD's cousin, and JD works for MASN. These two factors would have left me to believe that JD's opinion might be biased. But I can say that I never heard him allow his MASN employment or his cousin's position, ever affect his reporting or analysis. 

The off season wears on, and Davis holds out. Eventually the stories start to leak out, from other analysts on the station. DD wants to move on from Davis, but others in the org. don't, and so his hands are tied, and he's in limbo. 

Based on everything I heard that winter, DD made an effort, Davis balked, DD tried to move on. But he was outranked. later that winter, it was reported (both nationally and locally) that the Davis money was for Davis alone, and DD was specifically told he could not use that $25M/yr to sign pitching. And we also heard (from the big guy himself) that Buck was very involved in negotiating with Davis, up to and including phone calls and walks down the street to the Davis household. 

Edited by weird-O

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Based on everything I heard that winter, DD made an effort, Davis balked, DD tried to move on. But he was outranked. later that winter, it was reported (both nationally and locally) that the Davis money was for Davis alone, and DD was specifically told he could not use that $25M/yr to sign pitching. And we also heard (from the big guy himself) that Buck was very involved in negotiating with Davis, up to and including phone calls and walks down the street to the Davis household. 

Sounds about right and validates my opinion about the team. It's about the owner. No doubt the GM and manager have their share of the problem, but the buck stops at the top. 

Edited by bmore_ken

4 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Better start drinking early today Bleeder:D

I rolled out early didnt want to ruin the rest of my Sunday 

3 hours ago, pitbull said:

Good news. Our former number one starter’s ERA is “down” to 9.87.

Yep 0-4 this year and lost last 11 decisions in a row.  Epic!!!  And Buck will just keep rolling him out there.  That deceptively bad outing yesterday will keep him in rotation for a good while and keep Slide in green clover. 

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yep 0-4 this year and lost last 11 decisions in a row.  Epic!!!  And Buck will just keep rolling him out there.  That deceptively bad outing yesterday will keep him in rotation for a good while and keep Slide in green clover. 

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how a pitcher with such abhorrent stuff can have so much difficulty controlling it.  SMH