Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

7,900 in attendance 4/9/18

11 posts in this topic

When will ownership realize they are losing a lot of money by not signing GOOD players

Doesn't say much for the full plan season ticket base. I wonder how many of those have actually been sold this year.

In fairness, this problem isn't something that's unique to the Orioles. Cleveland has had one of the best teams in baseball the past two years, yet they can't seem to draw flies. In fact, they're below the Orioles right now in average per game attendance. Sunday's game against Kansas City drew about 14,000 fans, while tonight's game with the Tigers had only about 9,800. Of course, it didn't help that the game time temperature both days was right around 32 degrees, but like the Orioles, weather can't be the only factor. 

Weather isn't the only factor, but it doesn't help right now.  Yankees stadium wasn't exactly full over the weekend.

April weeknights haven’t drawn well since the early 2000’s. Nothing to see here. 

Cold weather, school night (same as every year)...can't pin it all on PA

Posted (edited)

Also, there's zero excitement surrounding this team. 2014 seems like forever ago.

Sure the series in NY was great but this is a team that has very noticeable flaws and has for several years now.

No one is fooled. Not many people are going to trudge through frozen rain on a Monday night to watch a 90 loss team play.

Edited by Pickle20

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

April weeknights haven’t drawn well since the early 2000’s. Nothing to see here. 

True, but the smallest "normal game" home crowd in stadium history is still fairly noteworthy... and follows along with their falling attendance numbers several years running now.

Team Angelos didn't decide to offer free tickets to 9 & unders out of the pure kindness of their hearts.  They announced that pretty late if I recall, and I'd bet the farm that their advanced sales numbers were so bad even compared to recent years that they figured they would do it to just get folks through the gates.  

10 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

True, but the smallest "normal game" home crowd in stadium history is still fairly noteworthy... and follows along with their falling attendance numbers several years running now.

Team Angelos didn't decide to offer free tickets to 9 & unders out of the pure kindness of their hearts.  They announced that pretty late if I recall, and I'd bet the farm that their advanced sales numbers were so bad even compared to recent years that they figured they would do it to just get folks through the gates.  

Angelos pays rent based on attendance. The lower the attendance the lower the rent he pays. He's counting money even if no one shows up.

22 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Angelos pays rent based on attendance. The lower the attendance the lower the rent he pays. He's counting money even if no one shows up.

And attendance is based on ticket "sales". So even if they give away 2 kid tickets, for every 1 adult ticket sold, the attendance reported to the MSA will still be based on that one ticket. And for PR purposes, the PA person can make a between inning announcement base it on both sales and giveaways. 

If only Pete dedicated as much money and effort to scouting, as he does PR, marketing and Roch. 

41 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Yep, maybe I'm just too cynical. But when I first heard those "Kids cheer free" commercials, I thought the same thing you did. No one gives away their product for free, unless it's not selling. 

Posted (edited)

All indications are that it's a boring team again.

I dunno that I'd wanna watch that crap under the best of conditions.

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut