Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandybaltimore

Common Core Parcc Testing School Picnic Party

25 posts in this topic

Common core has to be one of the most ridiculous math programs known to mankind. Money has been issued to shove it down the throats of our kids. If they put the correct answer, but do not use an area model or tape chart they are wrong. That is right if 7+7=14 but you just place that you are wrong. So you can see how that confuses a child. But yet they still want to shove it down the parents throat and now they are celebrating state testing.

https://www.facebook.com/events/426661511128955/

Armistead Gardens is having a PARCC testing Picnic to try and sugar coat parcc state testing.

How about we celebrate when our kids can actually do math!? Just a thought?

School Vice Principle banned me from their sight stating that what I said about common core was political and they do not allow political. Common core is everything political! It got passed political- because teachers were not involved. HELLO! You can pay 100,000 to send students to a POLITICAL PROTEST that YOU AGREE WITH! However something that is hurting our students academically each and every day we are not allowed to speak about? We are not to raise opposition about? We are not allowed to have an opinion about?

My son is in 5th grade he failed Math in 3rd- He failed math in 4th both times I asked to hold him back. They refused because you see math builds upon itself if the foundation is not good the rest will not be good. So now he has a 21 in Math and they want to pass him again. I said no! His school said he will pass because to fail he has to have 4 bad grades. The only subject his issue is - Math.

I will be down at north avenue- if they even try to pass him off one more year

If it was my kid I'd consider getting a tutor for him to help him pass and improve his math skills instead of demanding that they fail him. 

Enroll him in a Summer Learning Program.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/summer

Does the school offer tutoring?  Will his teacher work with him one on one after school? 

Posted (edited)

How can parents help their kids when they don't understand this asnine way of doing math. My school district had a meeting with parents on how this works and most were dumbfounded why they threw keep it simple out the window. My kid couldn't continue school do to health issues we enrolled him in cyber school. Now that was good one on one instruction through Skype.

Edited by daravenator

Posted (edited)

Do you guys no longer teach the times tables in your schools?

Edited by WKDWZD

It sounds as if Sandy isn’t communicating very well with the teachers or the admin.

But that’s no surprise. :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

It sounds as if Sandy isn’t communicating very well with the teachers or the admin.

But that’s no surprise. :rolleyes:

Give the girl a break, she's doing her best for her kids. It is a two way thing, and on the face of it, your kids mathemitics program is a joke.

3 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Do you guys no longer teach the times tables in your schools?

The schools here are trying to create a more solid foundation for understanding basic math leading up to more advanced mathematics and moving away from teaching students to learn tables by memorization by rote. 

The problem is that many parents were taught differently than their children are today and that puts them at a disadvantage when it comes to trying to help their children. 

The OP is not alone.  Her situation and complaint are very common ones when it comes to city schools if the school she's referring to falls under the city's school system.  I can understand her frustration.  She should try and take advantage of free math workshops in that area and other resources available.  She is showing concern and interest which is a lot more than many parents do, so that's a good start.

59 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Give the girl a break, she's doing her best for her kids. It is a two way thing, and on the face of it, your kids mathemitics program is a joke.

Wizard, I know all about having to communicate well with teachers, guidance and administrators. Been there, done that. Just making demands doesn’t work. If she’s been banned from a school website, then that indicates she’s going about it wrong. 

She needs to find someone to advocate for her and her child. There has to be other parents having the same issues with city schools with whom she can bond and approach this as a group. 

Demanding that your child be left back for a failing grade in one subject is wrong on so many counts! Find a tutor to teach both her and her child.  

1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

I agree with you.  Too many parents are willing to settle regardless of results and the OP is not.  That's not a bad thing.

1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Wizard, I know all about having to communicate well with teachers, guidance and administrators. Been there, done that. Just making demands doesn’t work. If she’s been banned from a school website, then that indicates she’s going about it wrong. 

She needs to find someone to advocate for her and her child. There has to be other parents having the same issues with city schools with whom she can bond and approach this as a group. 

Demanding that your child be left back for a failing grade in one subject is wrong on so many counts! Find a tutor to teach both her and her child.  

The thing is that there are schools in the city where not a single student is proficient in math.  You can't lay all the blame for that on the parents.  The schools should have tutoring available.  Do they still have summer school in the city? 

I have no clue about the city, I only dealt with Harford Co. For what each child costs in Baltimore, there should be summer school. 

I’m not putting blame on the parents, but you see how she rants here...it’s no wonder she was banned from a school website. There’s a right way and a wrong way to communicate. 

The "common core math" is terrible! I helped Kay with her homework a couple times and the old way would have been so straight forwarded, but this new crap of breaking down all the ways to get the answer is confusing.  I guess since she wasn't taught as we were she understands, but I just don't get it.

2 hours ago, Hoot said:

The "common core math" is terrible! I helped Kay with her homework a couple times and the old way would have been so straight forwarded, but this new crap of breaking down all the ways to get the answer is confusing.  I guess since she wasn't taught as we were she understands, but I just don't get it.

Can you imagine the teachers that had learn common core after teaching it one way for so long?  It's crazy. 

They do not offer tutoring just homework help. I do try to help and have bought books off amazon in that regard. Other then that I am a widow and do what I can. I was in advance math I understand common core. Common core is not something that helps all students at all. It divides them and causes them to fail early instead of later that is the only difference you refer to. I do not see how creating an atmosphere of failure in grade school helps in advancement later. Math builds on itself! If a child is not getting it on this level they will not get it later if you keep pushing them up grade levels. 

The city offers no tutoring unless you can not speak english then they offer classes to help you understand english.

My son has adhd so he is not organized. When you have a way to do math that takes 5 steps instead of 1- or 2 its not to complicated to understand the end result with a child or children who have the same problem. Common core is completely idiotic for a broad range of students. Learning is not the same for everyone and they should leave common core for COMMON SENSE teaching.

Pinkflamingo back to personal attacks on people for actually having an opinion I see. Never change. Yes I spoke up. Yes I should speak up! I see you speak up all the time--- like right now. Don't like my rants you could always block them. After all you are not adding anything legible to the conversation other then personal agenda to another individual try to talk about the actual subject of common core and form some real opinion on why you actually like it or why you do not. 

Hoot it is terrible! I wish there was more then one system in place in schools so students who learn different can still have the same opportunity. The problem is trying to fit all squares in circle holes and it does not work. :(

Especially with children in learning disabilities due to organizational issues, dyslexia, etc

2 hours ago, Sandybaltimore said:

Pinkflamingo back to personal attacks on people for actually having an opinion I see. Never change. Yes I spoke up. Yes I should speak up! I see you speak up all the time--- like right now. Don't like my rants you could always block them. After all you are not adding anything legible to the conversation other then personal agenda to another individual try to talk about the actual subject of common core and form some real opinion on why you actually like it or why you do not. 

Sorry I’m not adding anything legible to the conversation.

My kids missed the common core crapola..,luckily. I watched the video that Ode2Joy posted and yes, it seems confusing and a lot of work for nothing.

My daughter has Asperger’s-Lite...great in all subjects except math. Math was always a nightmare at homework time. I can imagine what you’re going thru. However, ranting on the school’s website won’t help. Don’t ask them to leave him back, that will hurt him emotionally...and make him feel that there is something wrong with him rather than the way he’s being taught. If the school won’t listen to you, they are failing you and your son. Hopefully, his next school will have something in place for kids like him. 

You teach him basic math at home so that he can function in life. He will only really need to know money and how to use the calculator on his iphone. My daughter is now 10 years out of high school and does just fine spending money and balancing her checkbook. She’ll never become a financial analyst and we accept that. 

Sandy, your son has bigger hurdles ahead in high school. Choose your battles and don’t burn your bridges with the school system. 

This too shall pass. 

Sorry if I pi**ed you off.

Pink how else are parents to get involved if not by voicing their opinions openly with other parents on a school website which is informational. That informative sight connects us parents together. 

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, Sandybaltimore said:

Pink how else are parents to get involved if not by voicing their opinions openly with other parents on a school website which is informational. That informative sight connects us parents together. 

I guess the school just doesn’t really want to hear it. Start a FB page to connect with other parents...the school has no control there. 

Actually, I just looked on FB...there is already a group called Parents Against the Common Core. Type in Common Core in FB search, there are several groups. Join one and possibly you could gain some info as to how to deal with your son’s situation. It can’t hurt. 

Edit: there’s also one called Parents and Educators Against Common Core

Edited by PinkFlamingo