Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FatBoy

Trump considering firing Rosenstein to check Mueller

53 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, workerbee said:

"according to four people told of the matter,This would be funnier by the day... if it wasn't so sad.  Keep hope alive!

Wait, are you claiming Trump did not try to fire Mueller last December?

22 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

Wait, are you claiming Trump did not try to fire Mueller last December?

Try?  What's stopping him?

18 minutes ago, workerbee said:

The better judgment of those around him. So far he's heeded their advice but question is how much longer.

1 minute ago, michiganjoe said:

The better judgment of those around him. So far he's heeded their advice but question is how much longer.

Says who?  You all really should stop watching CeeNN.  Just a friendly suggestion.

23 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Replacement AG would have to be approved by Congress, right? You know damn well they'd grill him/her on firing Mueller without cause.

Firing R or M? Going into mid term elections? Risky business. Trump won't care but bad, bad news for GOP.

What the hell do I know?

Rothenstiens replacement would need congressional approval too. It would leave the Solicitor General in charge of Mueller with no 3 or 4 guy at DOJ.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Rothenstiens replacement would need congressional approval too. It would leave the Solicitor General in charge of Mueller with no 3 or 4 guy at DOJ.

I'm not sure that Rosenstein's replacement could oversee the Mueller investigation.

Anyone Trump nominated, at this pooint,  would come with a built-in conflct of interest and would need to recuse, like Sessions did.

Edited by Cameron

23 hours ago, workerbee said:

I thought Rosenstein has to be the one to fire him, or a Rosenstein replacement after he's fired too. I don't think he can directly fire him even if he claims otherwise.

At any rate, he clearly wanted him fired last December. 

9 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

I always thought that Rosenstein was an idiot for joining team Trump.  I bet he feels the same now.

30 minutes ago, Chesapeake Spirit said:

I always thought that Rosenstein was an idiot for joining team Trump.  I bet he feels the same now.

I got this far and stopped.  "according to sources"

On 4/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, workerbee said:

Says who?  You all really should stop watching CeeNN.  Just a friendly suggestion.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, workerbee said:

The law

37 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Enjoy your stay on Fantasy Island. Say high to Tattoo for me. I always liked that little guy. 

Here's some news you can trust...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04/12/rod-rosenstein-facing-scrutiny-from-trump-meets-with-president-at-white-house.html

And... the president had a meeting?  Shocker!

Best quote of the "piece".
“If I wanted to fire Robert Mueller in December, as reported by the Failing New York Times, I would have fired him,” the president tweeted. “Just more Fake News from a biased newspaper!”

5 hours ago, workerbee said:

And... the president had a meeting?  Shocker!

Best quote of the "piece".
“If I wanted to fire Robert Mueller in December, as reported by the Failing New York Times, I would have fired him,” the president tweeted. “Just more Fake News from a biased newspaper!”

Donny can't fire Mueller. 

53 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

That must drive him nuts.

9 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Of course he can... he won't... but he can.  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/apr/12/can-donald-trump-fire-special-counsel-robert-muell/

"Under the Justice Department regulations, or "Reno rules," only the attorney general could fire Mueller. In this instance, Rosenstein, who’s acting as attorney general in place of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, would have that authority. (Sessions recused himself from the investigation.)"

First, he could order Rosenstein to do it.
Experts told us that an easier scenario for the president would be to fire Rosenstein — and keep firing Justice Department brass until someone is willing to fire Mueller.
Third, Trump could seek to rescind the Justice Department regulations through a fairly lengthy process that would allow Mueller to continue operating in the meantime.
One unusual theory we heard came from MSNBC contributor and former Obama administration official Jeremy Bash, who 
floated the idea that Trump could appoint Vice President Mike Pence — or even appoint himself — as acting attorney general in order to dismiss Mueller."

Stay tuned. ;)

Just now, workerbee said:

Of course he can... he won't... but he can.  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/apr/12/can-donald-trump-fire-special-counsel-robert-muell/

"Under the Justice Department regulations, or "Reno rules," only the attorney general could fire Mueller. In this instance, Rosenstein, who’s acting as attorney general in place of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, would have that authority. (Sessions recused himself from the investigation.)"

First, he could order Rosenstein to do it.
Experts told us that an easier scenario for the president would be to fire Rosenstein — and keep firing Justice Department brass until someone is willing to fire Mueller.
Third, Trump could seek to rescind the Justice Department regulations through a fairly lengthy process that would allow Mueller to continue operating in the meantime.
One unusual theory we heard came from MSNBC contributor and former Obama administration official Jeremy Bash, who 
floated the idea that Trump could appoint Vice President Mike Pence — or even appoint himself — as acting attorney general in order to dismiss Mueller."

Stay tuned. ;)

As I said, in his capacity as President, Donny cannot legally fire Mueller. 

I agree he could dance around and get it done. There's precedent for that. Nixon did it. Nothing would make me happier than Donny following in Nixon's footsteps. 

8 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

As I said, in his capacity as President, Donny cannot legally fire Mueller. 

I agree he could dance around and get it done. There's precedent for that. Nixon did it. Nothing would make me happier than Donny following in Nixon's footsteps. 

I doubt seriously Trump would do the honorable thing and resign, like Nixon did.  It will likely take both impeachment and a trial to force him out, After all, here is someone who has already bemoaned being limited to two terms.  He hasn't even been reelected yet!