Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

Cortes DFA

11 posts in this topic

Well they pulled the plug pretty quickly, but he probably threw away 2 games.  I thought he was decent in the spring, but I just saw his stats and he was terrible.  17.2 IP, 20 hits and 9 runs. He looked like a batting practice pitcher in the Bigs.   With Aroujo making the team, I have to wonder what Buck and DD were thinking on bringing Cortes north over Edgin or JRod??

They were thinking, 'We lose $25,000 if we send him back to the Yankees, and Mr. Angelos doesn't like losing money.  Ballgames are okay, but, God, don't lose money!'

5 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

They were thinking, 'We lose $25,000 if we send him back to the Yankees, and Mr. Angelos doesn't like losing money.  Ballgames are okay, but, God, don't lose money!'

Cortes, Tilly, and Wright.  You can't compete when you have this caliber of pitchers on your 25man roster.  Geez, I think we said the same thing last year when we had duds sprinkled through the pitching staff.  Sad.

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Well they pulled the plug pretty quickly, but he probably threw away 2 games.  I thought he was decent in the spring, but I just saw his stats and he was terrible.  17.2 IP, 20 hits and 9 runs. He looked like a batting practice pitcher in the Bigs.   With Aroujo making the team, I have to wonder what Buck and DD were thinking on bringing Cortes north over Edgin or JRod??

He was yet another one who threw slop and had to have pin point control to get anyone out.  Good riddance. 

I would have liked to keep Cortes. But this is what happens when you have 3 (!) Rule 5 players on the roster. You can't hide them all. And after the series in NYY, you had to use Cortes in a crucial situation.

No big loss, but not exactly surprising based on the horrible way this roster has been filled out.

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

I would have liked to keep Cortes. But this is what happens when you have 3 (!) Rule 5 players on the roster. You can't hide them all. And after the series in NYY, you had to use Cortes in a crucial situation.

No big loss, but not exactly surprising based on the horrible way this roster has been filled out.

Brit said the O's are planning to trade w/ NY, so that they can keep him. I assume they'll offer a package of Harvey and Hays. Buck really likes the kid, so there isn't any asking price that will be too high. And as we're all well aware, Buck knows his pitching.   

7 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I assume they'll offer a package of Harvey and Hays.

You made me lol.

10 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Cortes, Tilly, and Wright.  You can't compete when you have this caliber of pitchers on your 25man roster.  Geez, I think we said the same thing last year when we had duds sprinkled through the pitching staff.  Sad.

Sometimes I really question Dan Duquette’s decision making. I fear Brady Anderson will be worse, sadly.

42 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Sometimes I really question Dan Duquette’s decision making. I fear Brady Anderson will be worse, sadly.

Sometimes? You question him nearly every day. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Struds said:

Sometimes? You question him nearly every day. 

Not his decision-making. When he doesn’t do anything, as has been the case the last few offseasons. you can’t question his decisions. You question his ineptitude & competence.

Edited by pitbull