Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Moby: SNAP shouldn't pay for junk food

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Great idea...and while he is at it....don't allow premium meats and seafood be purchased with SNAP cards too. 

Seen that more than enough times to make me puke. 

Edited by Guido2

Its kind of empty chatter. Of course they should eat more nutritious foods, we all should. One big problem is access. There isn't a lot of healthy food to be found in the ghetto.

I don't agree that SNAP should pay for junk food. Remember that's taxpayer funded.

Moby, an electronic pop music star who moonlights as a pretentious vegan restaurateur. . .. 

Marie Antoinette comes to mind.

40 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Its kind of empty chatter. Of course they should eat more nutritious foods, we all should. One big problem is access. There isn't a lot of healthy food to be found in the ghetto.

Moby was referring to “cheap, healthy foods like beans, vegetables, fruit, and whole grains.”

How far is it from the ghetto to places that sell these things? Can't be that far. Maybe for people in rural areas?

Junk food manufacturers have a pretty good lobby that's killed similar proposals in the past. No reason why purely empty calories should be eligible.

Yesterday my husband and I were food shopping and I pointed out that the sugar-free water for children costs almost twice what the sugared water costs.  The healthy options tend to be more expensive across the board so if you only have $250 in snap benefits for the month, you will buy the cheaper less healthy options because you can get more food for the money.

4 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Moby was referring to “cheap, healthy foods like beans, vegetables, fruit, and whole grains.”

How far is it from the ghetto to places that sell these things? Can't be that far. Maybe for people in rural areas?

I can't say I've ever seen places that sell those things in the ghetto.

If we had single payer grocery then this problem would be solved.   Just, you know, not in a way you'd care for.  :)

8 hours ago, hst2 said:

Always an excuse with lefties.  

Posted (edited)

I think most people would be fine restricting those items. Food desert arguments don’t apply.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz

14 hours ago, hst2 said:

I can't say I've ever seen places that sell those things in the ghetto.

How often are you in "the ghetto"?

I was on a grocery store on Pennsylvania Ave in East New York and they had pretty much everything. I think the ‘food desert’ thing is overblown. Every grocery store I’ve been in has fresh produce. It might not be great, it doesn’t look like Whole Foods, but it’s there. The choices aren’t buy junk or buy nothing.

I will accept that buying processed food over fresh food gives you more bang for your buck but buying soda, cookies, chips, these aren’t items that people buy because fruits and vegetables cost too much. There’s no reason food stamps should cover them. 

When a person sees someone using an EBT card or its equivalent to buy cookies, soda, chips, etc., do they automatically think "look at that lazy person buying junk food with my tax dollars"?  Or do they think, "just because he's poor, he doesn't deserve to have junk food sometimes"?   Do they know that he works full time but still needs government assistance to feed, cloth and shelter his family?  It's so easy to sit back in your comfortable chair and pass judgment on others.  It complain that your tax dollars are going to that lazy bum when you don't know a thing about that "lazy bum".  To think that poor people should look and act the why you think they should simple because you have more money than they do seems just very wrong to me.

Meh, I don't really care. I say let them buy what they want; I mean you can't buy alcohol or toilet paper, and the funds are not exactly exorbitant for the typical user of these benefits. If they want to buy a bag of potato chips let them. SMH.

Posted (edited)

On 4/11/2018 at 2:08 PM, Pickle20 said:

Well, being in a rural area, I have to drive 22 miles one way over a mountain ridge to get to the nearest grocery. It's not a Giant or Martin's or any chain store.

It's Wayne's Meat Market. Terrific fresh meats, a wonderful bakery, but not a great selection of vegetables and fruit.

I frequent the roadside farmer stands, as well as grow my own veggies, but it's not easy and involves multiple stops.

Edited by Apexbud

14 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

When a person sees someone using an EBT card or its equivalent to buy cookies, soda, chips, etc., do they automatically think "look at that lazy person buying junk food with my tax dollars"?  Or do they think, "just because he's poor, he doesn't deserve to have junk food sometimes"?   Do they know that he works full time but still needs government assistance to feed, cloth and shelter his family?  It's so easy to sit back in your comfortable chair and pass judgment on others.  It complain that your tax dollars are going to that lazy bum when you don't know a thing about that "lazy bum".  To think that poor people should look and act the why you think they should simple because you have more money than they do seems just very wrong to me.

What most folks seem to forget as well is that most of those people actually paid taxes into that system they are using but they don't make enough money to feed their families

SNAP stimulates the economy, provides jobs and keeps people off welfare. 

18 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Most I look at their fat little kids, and boy do they always seem to have fat little kids, and I feel bad because childhood diabetes is no joke. What chance at a healthy life do these kids have when their parents make such poor choices and the government directly subsidizes them?

59 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Most I look at their fat little kids, and boy do they always seem to have fat little kids, and I feel bad because childhood diabetes is no joke. What chance at a healthy life do these kids have when their parents make such poor choices and the government directly subsidizes them?

Not sure where you shop but I don't see a lot of fat little poor kids any where. I do however see a lot of fat little rich kids who probably spend their days playing their xboxes, surfing the web on their iPhones, etc..  I understand though that you feel people are poor only because they made poor choices in life so you only see what you want to see to make yourself feel superior to those damn poor people.

5 hours ago, banner1124 said:

What most folks seem to forget as well is that most of those people actually paid taxes into that system they are using but they don't make enough money to feed their families

Yes!  Sad how people think everyone getting government assistance of any kind are just lazy bums when a lot of them are working hard to provide for their families.