Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Moby: SNAP shouldn't pay for junk food

109 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Surely for some posters on here, a much easier way to get value for their tax dollars would be to have the SNAP recipients tattooed with "SNAP" on their foreheads and just let them buy whatever they want with their handouts, those posters don't really give a monkey's about 'healthy options' anyway.

You don't think it is possible to be both? Is that such an incredibly outlandish position to take.

When I shop for ANYTHING.....I look for the best return for my dollar. That is why I don't buy the latest IPhone or the latest computer. I wait, evaluate an buy what has the best ROI. 

SNAP is not a good ROI as it stands. To many ways to abuse it....which in turn takes away from those that 'follow the rules'. 

And putting a tattoo on there heads is I am sure a metaphor. It is easy enough to see when one goes shopping in my neighborhood...if one is paying attention and not screwing with there damn cell phone at the checkout line. 

BTW....sidebar.....I understand that since the UK has pretty much banned guns....that in London....that knives are now the weapon of choice.

Any truth to the rumor that knives maybe banned there? So is everyone going to have to put there Sheppard's Pie in a blender now? :lol:

I love Sheppard's Pie.....my wife makes a real KAs one from a recipe she brought back from a visit to the UK. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Well if they didn't buy steak and Frito's they would have money for saran wrap and 6 ears of corn for a buck.  :lol:

Or with the money the money they are save due to SNAP ....those few extra dollars....could be spent to go to dollar store for bags and such. 

I am financially comfortable.....I still go to Dollar. 

When there is a will there is a way.....unfortunately....for way to many.....the 'will' has been taken away...for generations. Now I am not saying an entire generation but a fair percentage.

But all this debate and back and forth ....really don't matter. The politicians know that as policy stands is a vote getter....adding more to it is a vote getter. 

So any real change to direct people to eat better foods is ....well....vote wise...just plain stupid.

So let them eat Frito's let them eat cake....let them go to Medicaid when there bodies fail. 

Fine with me. 

I guess it is silly to even voice a concern for better healthy spending....fine....let them slowly kill themselves. 

Sorry that you think too many on government assistance are freeloaders living off your tax dollars.  I see far too many needed people at my church's outreach program every week.  This country shouldn't have so many homeless or poor people but then again this country has a lot of people who would rather have their tax dollars go to the MIC rather than to the poor because a person may scam the system.

Enjoy you "treat" while you begrudge a poor person that same "treat".

Edited by mrsmlh

21 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Don't start pulling a MM or bogart or JOBA on me.  I never said there were too many. And I never said specifically freeloaders.

If you look at my posts.....I am saying that tighter controls on what can be bought is the key. Better for their health....better for the tax payers pocketbook.   I read that as "as long as I paying for it, they are not eating anything that I don't think they should it."

Now if you feel it is a social racist comment for me to suggest a fresh ear of corn instead of a bag of Frito's ....then that is your issue.  No I don't think it's racist at all. Do you mean to tell me that you think it is?  A kid in a non farming community taking an ear of corn into school for lunch is going to get ridiculed so bad that the kid would likely no want to go to school at all.

And this whole 'treat' thing. I am tired of it....from you and everyone else. If you are blipn so damn poor that you can't buy your own food....you have no latitude for treats. PERIOD. 

Look dear, my wife and I had parents brought up during the depression we know the value of a buck  I'm older than you so get off your damn high horse about the depression.  You (and your liberal wife) aren't any better than me at knowing the value of a buck.

When during the Great Recession and the company I worked for (HP) lost a contract with the Feds....I was let go.

My wife and I didn't buy treats even when I was getting a unemployment check...and when that ran out....we at a lot of ....OH MY GOD....ground beef and spaghetti etc. Cold cuts HHHHAAAAAAAA....we bought cheap roast and ate that for dinner and that became cold cuts. 

We even dried paper towels to be used several times. Oh....and might I add....she was retired ...AND....we were housing feeding and clothing my Father in law in our house. So WE were keeping the house going....carrying for a slowly dying FIL etc. 

But we had enough pride to DO IT ON OUR OWN.....no hand outs....no freebies. Just like my parents and hers did. 

So excuse me if ....with my background of the hardlife.....I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about a treat. 

You think your background is a hardlife, you had it a lot easier than a lot of people including family and friends whom I know. 

End of conversation.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

You don't think it is possible to be both? Is that such an incredibly outlandish position to take.

When I shop for ANYTHING.....I look for the best return for my dollar. That is why I don't buy the latest IPhone or the latest computer. I wait, evaluate an buy what has the best ROI. 

SNAP is not a good ROI as it stands. To many ways to abuse it....which in turn takes away from those that 'follow the rules'. 

And putting a tattoo on there heads is I am sure a metaphor. It is easy enough to see when one goes shopping in my neighborhood...if one is paying attention and not screwing with there damn cell phone at the checkout line. 

BTW....sidebar.....I understand that since the UK has pretty much banned guns....that in London....that knives are now the weapon of choice.

Any truth to the rumor that knives maybe banned there? So is everyone going to have to put there Sheppard's Pie in a blender now? :lol:

I love Sheppard's Pie.....my wife makes a real KAs one from a recipe she brought back from a visit to the UK. 

i didn't name names, no need to be offended unless you want to, you know the old 'if the cap fits .. '

Knives, as weapons or carried on your person without reasonable excuse are already banned. If you want to see a really sharp knife, visit my kitchen.

Good for your wife but, if she doesn't use lamb (or mutton) for the meat, it isn't real Shepherd's Pie, if she is using ground beef she's making you a Cottage Pie. ;)

Edited by WKDWZD

23 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Good for your wife but, if she doesn't use lamb (or mutton) for the meat, it isn't real Shepherd's Pie, if she is using ground beef she's making you a Cottage Pie. ;)

I call it a cowboy pie because they always use ground beef here for shepherds pie :)

I make both, depending on who's dining but I prefer Lamb. Next time I make a cottage pie I'll introduce it as 'Cowboy's Pie' - hey, I might even put some beans in it. ;) :lol:

11 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Yes you can. And news flash....it can be eaten raw like any other vegetable. 

Mom or Dad could husk it and break it into manageable portions. Add a packet of salt/pepper from McD's you are gold. BTW.....my extended family in Maine did that all the time for the kids. 

Or here is one. Buy popcorn..pop it the day before or so....seal it in a bag...give that to the kids. BTW....while working I tried to avoid chips and such.....so I did the exact same thing....or I put baby carrots or celery for my 'crunchy' substitute. 

Very weak argument on your part.

Try again. 

My point was chips in moderation are a lunch snack and smart people by the big bag and sandwich bags which many people on SNAP do.

10 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Nope....the devil is in the details..........................................................

Home made popcorn is very healthy compared to a bag of Frito's. And if you look at SmartPop bagged popcorn and similar.....it is still healthier. 

Now if you go for the Utz bagged yellow cheese popcorn in the bag....totally different. 

Air popped and stovetop old fashioned pop corn is way healthier than any potato chip. 

And btw ..... I practice what I preach...I.always have homemade popcorn in a sealed bag to snacks or as a substitute for chips. Or make fresh when watching a game instead of Dorito's.

BTW....fresh popcorn in a bowl.....with just a touch of melted butter (patty) and some Old Bay is to die for. :)

Smart pop bags are the same price as Fritos. The smart way is to by the corn kernels and oil and pop it by hand. Either way all are carbs not vegetables.

10 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Well if they didn't buy steak and Frito's they would have money for saran wrap and 6 ears of corn for a buck.  :lol:

Or with the money the money they are save due to SNAP ....those few extra dollars....could be spent to go to dollar store for bags and such. 

I am financially comfortable.....I still go to Dollar. 

When there is a will there is a way.....unfortunately....for way to many.....the 'will' has been taken away...for generations. Now I am not saying an entire generation but a fair percentage.

But all this debate and back and forth ....really don't matter. The politicians know that as policy stands is a vote getter....adding more to it is a vote getter. 

So any real change to direct people to eat better foods is ....well....vote wise...just plain stupid.

So let them eat Frito's let them eat cake....let them go to Medicaid when there bodies fail. 

Fine with me. 

I guess it is silly to even voice a concern for better healthy spending....fine....let them slowly kill themselves. 

SNAP doesn’t cover the wraps.