Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Game Thread - April 11th

24 posts in this topic

A Machado leadoff double followed by a run scoring hit from Schoop. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Gausman settling in.

Any way they can swing a trade for Pillar?

I know his bat's not great, but he can sure go get it in CF.

Just now, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Any way they can swing a trade for Pillar?

I know his bat's not great, but he can sure go get it in CF.

He does cover a lot of space quickly.

Just now, JoyinMudville said:

And Chris Davis gets a hit!

I had to rub my eyes to be sure that's what I saw!

Fair ball I think.

Posted (edited)

This review is ridiculous.

Pace of play, anyone?

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut

Way to speed up the game MLB.

Schoop!

Gausman's gotta be more pitch efficient but with Cobb on the way you gotta say that our rotation is improved.

32 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Schoop!

Gausman's gotta be more pitch efficient but with Cobb on the way you gotta say that our rotation is improved.

One would hope the act of replacing Jimenez and Miley with almost anyone would likely improve the rotation... :)

5 runs without a HR. Would like to see more of that as the season goes on.

What got into Chris Davis tonight? Two hits in the same game?

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

What got into Chris Davis tonight? Two hits in the same game?

He looked as stunned as everyone else when he hit that single to left.

I see some promise.  A bunt on Tuesday and an opposite field single on Wednesday.

Edited by Thirteen

6 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

He looked as stunned as everyone else when he hit that single to left.

I see some promise.  A bunt on Tuesday and an opposite field single on Wednesday.

Don't worry, if he starts to see even a modicum of success, he'll tell himself that he's awesome, and it's time to get back to swinging from the heels.

Sounds like it was an all around good game. 

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Sounds like it was an all around good game. 

This team will win games if it finds a way to score consistently. I like what the young guys (Mancini, Sisco and Santander) bring to the table vs. the all or nothing players we have. The pitching has the potential to be greatly improved over last year especially if Cobb and Britton round into form.

We need more games like last night when we're producing offense and not just hitting homers. Davis even had an opposite field hit so maybe there's a silver lining out there.

46 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

This team will win games if it finds a way to score consistently. I like what the young guys (Mancini, Sisco and Santander) bring to the table vs. the all or nothing players we have. The pitching has the potential to be greatly improved over last year especially if Cobb and Britton round into form.

We need more games like last night when we're producing offense and not just hitting homers. Davis even had an opposite field hit so maybe there's a silver lining out there.

I typed a thoughtful, two paragraph response to your post. While reading it, before hitting submit, I realized that I could say everything I mention, and do it in one sentence.

This game was an anomaly  

48 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I typed a thoughtful, two paragraph response to your post. While reading it, before hitting submit, I realized that I could say everything I mention, and do it in one sentence.

This game was an anomaly  

Most likely. Still...it was a good win. (OCF does his best to quell that Travis Moon voice in his head. BE QUIET!! BE QUIET!!!)

:lol:

3 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Most likely. Still...it was a good win. (OCF does his best to quell that Travis Moon voice in his head. BE QUIET!! BE QUIET!!!)

:lol:

Hey, I'm all for the idea of them regularly playing like this.  

17 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Hey, I'm all for the idea of them regularly playing like this.  

And therein lies the rub. I think it's overly optimistic to extrapolate much from the one victory. Their entire problem, IMO, is that they cannot, and have proven that they cannot, play like they did last night on a regular basis. They're simply not built, or managed, that way. They are an all or nothing team, and that, by definition, is not a formula for consistency. It's rare that their hitting and pitching are clicking on the same night, because their hitting is not consistent, night after night, and neither is their starting pitching, or their bull pen. So it's a lot of fits and starts and stops with this team and it shall remain that way as long as the current regime holds sway. So for me, when they do manage a nice win like last night, I acknowledge it, and move on, in no way expecting to see anything close to that night after night. Just my 2 cents.

7 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And therein lies the rub. I think it's overly optimistic to extrapolate much from the one victory. Their entire problem, IMO, is that they cannot, and have proven that they cannot, play like they did last night on a regular basis. They're simply not built, or managed, that way. They are an all or nothing team, and that, by definition, is not a formula for consistency. It's rare that their hitting and pitching are clicking on the same night, because their hitting is not consistent, night after night, and neither is their starting pitching, or their bull pen. So it's a lot of fits and starts and stops with this team and it shall remain that way as long as the current regime holds sway. So for me, when they do manage a nice win like last night, I acknowledge it, and move on, in no way expecting to see anything close to that night after night. Just my 2 cents.

It's funny, because my original 2 paragraph post read a lot like your's. It even included the word extrapolate. :D

59 minutes ago, weird-O said:

It's funny, because my original 2 paragraph post read a lot like your's. It even included the word extrapolate. :D

Proving, beyond a shadow of a doubt...that great minds think alike.

:D

7 hours ago, weird-O said:

This game was an anomaly  

Yeah you're probably right.