pitbull

Davis is “trusting the process” through struggles

54 posts in this topic

According to the Baltimore Sun, Chris Davis is “trusting the process” through his struggles.

Uhm, which process is that Chris? The process that results in you hitting .215? The process that results in you flailing at pitches? The process that results in 200 K’s per year? The process of you looking clueless at the plate? Or the process where you repeatedly ground into the shift?

5 minutes ago, pitbull said:

According to the Baltimore Sun, Chris Davis is “trusting the process” through his struggles.

Uhm, which process is that Chris? The process that results in you hitting .215? The process that results in you flailing at pitches? The process that results in 200 K’s per year? The process of you looking clueless at the plate? Or the process where you repeatedly ground into the shift?

All of the above..:D

5 hours ago, pitbull said:

The process of checking his direct deposit summary each week. 

Crush: Lets see here...log in...check...deposits...check...$480,769.23...check. Hey Honey, I'm off to the ballpark, for some extra "batting practice". I gotta keep up the pretense that "I'm working extra hard to get better" HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

For $161 million, you shouldn't trust the process, you should be the process.

Davis has home run power and an eye that can draw a walk, but that's about it.  It's amazing to me that a professional with all of the batting practice they take cannot figure out how to hit to the opposite field.  Not necessarily for power, but at least put the ball in play down to the third base side of the field.  All he has to do is show the ability to do so somewhat consistently and teams will stop using the shift on him.  It would cut down on the number of HRs but would raise his average and ultimately make him a more valuable hitter.  Right now he isn't even as good as Mark Belanger was at the plate.  

5 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Davis has home run power and an eye that can draw a walk, but that's about it.  It's amazing to me that a professional with all of the batting practice they take cannot figure out how to hit to the opposite field.  Not necessarily for power, but at least put the ball in play down to the third base side of the field.  All he has to do is show the ability to do so somewhat consistently and teams will stop using the shift on him.  It would cut down on the number of HRs but would raise his average and ultimately make him a more valuable hitter.  Right now he isn't even as good as Mark Belanger was at the plate.  

What's amazing to me is that a professional hitter makes such little overall contact with the ball, let alone go to the opposite field.  It's not easy to strike out 200 times.  But Davis is not alone.  There's tons of hitters in the sport that are just as incapable of making consistent contact.  What they don't do today is cut down on their swing with 2 strikes on them.  No matter what the count is, they're swinging from their heels trying to hit it as far as they can, which is a pitcher's dream. 

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

About the only thing he can trust is that he'll strikeout an inordinate amount of times.  Other than that, he has no clue. 

At this point you just have to hope he gets hot a few times over the season, and can carry the offense for a week or two.

As bad as he was last year, he had 8 HR in May and OPS of .824

Or June 2016 where he had 9 HR, OPS of 1.020. That year he also had 10 HR in August.

Hopefully he still has periods of time where he can actually see the ball and hit it far.

51 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

At this point you just have to hope he gets hot a few times over the season, and can carry the offense for a week or two.

As bad as he was last year, he had 8 HR in May and OPS of .824

Or June 2016 where he had 9 HR, OPS of 1.020. That year he also had 10 HR in August.

Hopefully he still has periods of time where he can actually see the ball and hit it far.

It's a classic O's fan situation. We have to "hope" things go perfect. 

As minor as they seem, the bunt, the opposite field single and the lower strikeout totals are giving me hope that maybe he's realized that he needs to change his approach.

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

It's a classic O's fan situation. We have to "hope" things go perfect. 

No, perfect would be him having another 2013 season. That's not happening.

4 hours ago, jamesdean said:

What's amazing to me is that a professional hitter makes such little overall contact with the ball, let alone go to the opposite field.  It's not easy to strike out 200 times.  But Davis is not alone.  There's tons of hitters in the sport that are just as incapable of making consistent contact.  What they don't do today is cut down on their swing with 2 strikes on them.  No matter what the count is, they're swinging from their heels trying to hit it as far as they can, which is a pitcher's dream. 

It's so rare anymore that when Granderson - who clearly does hit for power - choked up on the bat with 2 strikes several times during the Blue Jays series, the broadcasters marveled about it. 

6 minutes ago, Struds said:

It's so rare anymore that when Granderson - who clearly does hit for power - choked up on the bat with 2 strikes several times during the Blue Jays series, the broadcasters marveled about it. 

You can still hit grand slams with the bases empty with 2 strikes. ^_^

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

You can still hit grand slams with the bases empty with 2 strikes. ^_^

And there we have it; the O's hitting philosophy/thought process in one simple sentence.:mellow:

8 hours ago, Struds said:

Sad, isn't it?

I really think the Orioles should hire a hitting coach.

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

Sad, isn't it?

Makes you miss guys like Carew, Oliva and even Brett, doesn't it?  

5 minutes ago, Struds said:

Or Nick Markakis.

1 minute ago, johnpolitics said:

Or Nick Markakis.

True. In hindsight, had we kept Nick and Nelson Cruz vs Davis, would the team have achieved more, or would poor SP have negated those moves anyway? One can only wonder.

As a Braves fan Nick has offered leadership and a good glove. The power numbers are not there but the average is.

10 hours ago, Struds said:

Not to mention Pete Rose, who was the ultimate 2-strike hitter. 

12 hours ago, Struds said:

True. In hindsight, had we kept Nick and Nelson Cruz vs Davis, would the team have achieved more, or would poor SP have negated those moves anyway? One can only wonder.

The pitching probably would have been too much to overcome. But at least the games would have been more interesting. Because those two would have provided more offense. If nothing else, they would have been an enjoyable counterpoint to the other guys flailing away.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:11 PM, mdrunning said:

It’s not his fault a fawning owner stepped in and outbid himself for Davis’ services. Angelos is cheap unless he has a crush ( no pun intended) on the player. It reminds me of the time he vetoed a good haul to negotiate an extension for a damaged Brian Roberts. 

Has anyone else reached the point where you enjoy reading the box score each morning, just to laugh at Davis's stats? I really look forward to it. I woke this morning, opened the app and smiled. 0 for 4 with 3 K's :D I'd love to see a 3 game stretch where he gets a streak of golden sombreros.  

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Has anyone else reached the point where you enjoy reading the box score each morning, just to laugh at Davis's stats? I really look forward to it. I woke this morning, opened the app and smiled. 0 for 4 with 3 K's :D I'd love to see a 3 game stretch where he gets a streak of golden sombreros.  

I do look at the box scores. But I certainly am not laughing. I'm wondering why he is still in the lineup and batting in a space reserved for someone who can...you know...actually hit. He needs to swallow his pride and go to the minors and work on his swing in games that don't count (in the majors that is). Right now he is being quite selfish.