pitbull

Davis is “trusting the process” through struggles

54 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I do look at the box scores. But I certainly am not laughing. I'm wondering why he is still in the lineup and batting in a space reserved for someone who can...you know...actually hit. He needs to swallow his pride and go to the minors and work on his swing in games that don't count (in the majors that is). Right now he is being quite selfish.

Buck has enabled the "selfish" attitude that Davis has displayed.  Other than not seeing the ball at all, his bat speed seems to be way down.  Middling fastballs go by him.  Buck's got himself a Grade A mess here and its mostly his own doing.  I would never have imagined he would turn into such a poor manager.  I mean he is bordering on an embarrassment for the team with this Tillman debacle.  Add in Wright, Rasmus, and Cortes,  how many games has Buck's poor player evals cost this team in 2018???

20 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

I do look at the box scores. But I certainly am not laughing. I'm wondering why he is still in the lineup and batting in a space reserved for someone who can...you know...actually hit. He needs to swallow his pride and go to the minors and work on his swing in games that don't count (in the majors that is). Right now he is being quite selfish.

Here's why I'm laughing. First off, it's not because I enjoy watching the O's lose. I'm laughing because no other team, no matter how big or small of a payroll they can afford, would continue to put this cleat wearing void in the line up. From TB to L.A.A., he would be watching the games, not contributing to the loss of games. And since I have no control over that decision, I am enjoying the egg that's dripping down the faces of Peter and Buck. And so, let the record setting, historically bad offensive stats proceed. Eventually, the rest of the team might mutiny. And if that happens, Buck may actually be relieved of his position. At the very least, it may open the owner's eyes to the fact that this once accomplished architect of a manger, is no more. Buck's departure is a very big step in this team having a shot to be competitive next season. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

Here's why I'm laughing. First off, it's not because I enjoy watching the O's lose. I'm laughing because no other team, no matter how big or small of a payroll they can afford, would continue to put this cleat wearing void in the line up. From TB to L.A.A., he would be watching the games, not contributing to the loss of games. And since I have no control over that decision, I am enjoying the egg that's dripping down the faces of Peter and Buck. And so, let the record setting, historically bad offensive stats proceed. Eventually, the rest of the team might mutiny. And if that happens, Buck may actually be relieved of his position. At the very least, it may open the owner's eyes to the fact that this once accomplished architect of a manger, is no more. Buck's departure is a very big step in this team having a shot to be competitive next season. 

You hit on a point I've been starting to make as well.  When are the leaders of this team like AJ going to revolt against these blind loyalty plays of Buck.  They have to be sick every time he pencils in Tilly or Davis.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

You hit on a point I've been starting to make as well.  When are the leaders of this team like AJ going to revolt against these blind loyalty plays of Buck.  They have to be sick every time he pencils in Tilly or Davis.

I just can't see Jones going to Buck and complaining about Davis or Tillman.  Not going to happen.  He'll mix it up with the front office but he's not going to throw a teammate under the bus.  And Buck's obviously not going to do anything about Davis other than babbling on about his "track record."   Especially after he got 2 hits yesterday.  Expect more of the same indefinitely. 

44 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

I just can't see Jones going to Buck and complaining about Davis or Tillman.  Not going to happen.  He'll mix it up with the front office but he's not going to throw a teammate under the bus.  And Buck's obviously not going to do anything about Davis other than babbling on about his "track record."   Especially after he got 2 hits yesterday.  Expect more of the same indefinitely. 

Yeah wishful thinking on my part.  Wouldn't matter anyhow.  Buck gonna do what Buck gonna do.  #smartestguyinroom, #5-10 in 2018, #75-87 in 2017

5 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Jones is out the door at the end of the season. He's made it clear that he wants to go somewhere where he can get a ring and it was not too thinly veiled reference to the fact that the o's can't seem to figure out how to put the right pieces together.

Another 3Ks today in 3-1 loss...God does he suck don't care if he is a good guy.

Posted (edited)

The mighty Crush just whiffed to end Sunday’s game against  the BoSox.

Edited by pitbull

2 hours ago, pitbull said:

The mighty Crush just whiffed to end Sunday’s gam against the BoSox.

You've heard of pitchers that lose it overnight(take a bow, Chris Tillman)?  You are witnessing the complete and utter deconstruction of a hitter in Chris Davis.  I read this morning that his exit velocity on ball he's made contact with(which isn't very often) is pathetic too.  Not that I get into all those micro-stats but the point being that even when Davis hits the ball, it has no life to it. 

3 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

You've heard of pitchers that lose it overnight(take a bow, Chris Tillman)?  You are witnessing the complete and utter deconstruction of a hitter in Chris Davis.  I read this morning that his exit velocity on ball he's made contact with(which isn't very often) is pathetic too.  Not that I get into all those micro-stats but the point being that even when Davis hits the ball, it has no life to it. 

Ding ding ding.  Tell them Johnny what our O's fans have won.  The next Ryan Howard,  That's what we got here.  A full blown Ryan Howard melt down.  Guy gets paid and then flames out like a cheap sparkler on the 4th of July.

29 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Ding ding ding.  Tell them Johnny what our O's fans have won.  The next Ryan Howard,  That's what we got here.  A full blown Ryan Howard melt down.  Guy gets paid and then flames out like a cheap sparkler on the 4th of July.

The Chris Davis from the 2012 Wild Card year was a good baseball player. Batting average was about .280, clubbed 30 home runs, drove in about 80 runs. Not sure what happened to that player.

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

The Chris Davis from the 2012 Wild Card year was a good baseball player. Batting average was about .280, clubbed 30 home runs, drove in about 80 runs. Not sure what happened to that player.

I have my theories and one of them is PED abuse, which in most cases, doesn't end very well.  At this point, expecting Davis to even hit .200 this year is a reach. 

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Good analogy.  Is he even playing this year? 

2 hours ago, jamesdean said:

I have my theories and one of them is PED abuse, which in most cases, doesn't end very well.  At this point, expecting Davis to even hit .200 this year is a reach. 

I think it's mostly just in his head. Davis probably wasn't as good as that 53-homer season might have suggested, but now that he's been paid, he's pressing to demonstrate that he's actually worth that kind of money. (He isn't.) He wouldn't be the first player to be eaten up by a big contract. 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:05 AM, cprenegade said:

Davis has home run power and an eye that can draw a walk, but that's about it.  It's amazing to me that a professional with all of the batting practice they take cannot figure out how to hit to the opposite field.  Not necessarily for power, but at least put the ball in play down to the third base side of the field.  All he has to do is show the ability to do so somewhat consistently and teams will stop using the shift on him.  It would cut down on the number of HRs but would raise his average and ultimately make him a more valuable hitter.  Right now he isn't even as good as Mark Belanger was at the plate.  

Yeap.

But to be fair, I think that’s what separates really great major leaguers from mediocre or even good major leaguers. If you’re going to write the story on Davis so far, he’s a country strong, one trick pony who found a couple of seasons of success before the rest of the league found his achilles heel. The unwritten part is whether or not he has the talent, guts, and intelligence to change his approach and adapt.

so far, despite his talk, the prognosis is not good

On 4/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, Thirteen said:

As minor as they seem, the bunt, the opposite field single and the lower strikeout totals are giving me hope that maybe he's realized that he needs to change his approach.

Never mind.

13 hours ago, jamesdean said:

Good analogy.  Is he even playing this year? 

It appears he is currently a free agent.  I didn't even realize that he had been signed and released by both the Braves and Rockies last year.

13 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

It appears he is currently a free agent.  I didn't even realize that he had been signed and released by both the Braves and Rockies last year.

Ask the Phillies what impact that contract had on their ability to compete.  They are just coming out of the abyss after what , 6 or 7 years???   The one silver lining on the Davis contract is that basically 6 mil out of the 23mil/yr is deferred money.  So for the next 4 plus years its 17mil/yr down the toilet.  Its such a double whammy as the Phils found out.  It crushes payroll flexibility plus the on field performance is a huge negative to winning.

13 hours ago, jamesdean said:

I've long suspected the Adderrall use and his condition for using it is the root cause for his struggles.  But its hard to pin down because he supposedly was off Adderall in 2013 and he had a great year.  I did read that in 2014 when he was so bad , he had some outside pressures (kid on the way) plus the pressure of the slump.  Pressure makes his ADD condition worse.  He was quoted in Sept 2014 after his suspension that he turned back to Adderrall because the ball looked like a blur and he couldn't pick up anything (sounds like 2017-2018 eh?)

So he was back on Adderrall in 2015 for sure and he was good again.  No word on whether he has an exemption for it past 2015.  But he certainly has additional pressure in trying to live up to his big contract.  Maybe he didn't get the exemption??  or maybe the meds just aren't that effective anymore on helping him see the ball.  The increased pressure on the big deal maybe too much to counteract.  I don't know, but there is something physically/mentally wrong with the guy.  Pete better start trying to get the medical insurance claim in the works :D

The bottom line is that it is just mind boggling that Pete would sign off on this big deal with all the medical red flags in the air.  I guess the big fan draw for Crusher trumped any medical ADD concerns.

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I've long suspected the Adderrall use and his condition for using it is the root cause for his struggles.  But its hard to pin down because he supposedly was off Adderall in 2013 and he had a great year.  I did read that in 2014 when he was so bad , he had some outside pressures (kid on the way) plus the pressure of the slump.  Pressure makes his ADD condition worse.  He was quoted in Sept 2014 after his suspension that he turned back to Adderrall because the ball looked like a blur and he couldn't pick up anything (sounds like 2017-2018 eh?)

So he was back on Adderrall in 2015 for sure and he was good again.  No word on whether he has an exemption for it past 2015.  But he certainly has additional pressure in trying to live up to his big contract.  Maybe he didn't get the exemption??  or maybe the meds just aren't that effective anymore on helping him see the ball.  The increased pressure on the big deal maybe too much to counteract.  I don't know, but there is something physically/mentally wrong with the guy.  Pete better start trying to get the medical insurance claim in the works :D

The bottom line is that it is just mind boggling that Pete would sign off on this big deal with all the medical red flags in the air.  I guess the big fan draw for Crusher trumped any medical ADD concerns.

At least the Adderrall use was publicly brought up and reported but you don't have Davis-type muscularity unless he's being assisted in some way.  Same goes for Stanton and Judge and any other baseball player built like a middle linebacker.  I just don't believe you develop that kind of size by working out and drinking protein shakes.  If it was that easy, every guy lifting weights would be walking around looking that way.  If he has taken or is taking PED's, the odds are he won't be caught so I guess we'll never know for sure. 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

At least the Adderrall use was publicly brought up and reported but you don't have Davis-type muscularity unless he's being assisted in some way.  Same goes for Stanton and Judge and any other baseball player built like a middle linebacker.  I just don't believe you develop that kind of size by working out and drinking protein shakes.  If it was that easy, every guy lifting weights would be walking around looking that way.  If he has taken or is taking PED's, the odds are he won't be caught so I guess we'll never know for sure. 

I've really haven't pinned any kind of PED steroid use on Davis.  He is as big and ripped now (he sucks)  as he was in 2015 (he was good).  Anyone who knows a little about roids and HGH is that when you go off of them, its like someone stuck a pin in the guy.  Shrink city.  

Adderrall is considered a PED by almost all sports.  Its like an antphetamine.  It increases energy and focus.  Davis' problem is that he cannot see the ball and identify the pitch. He has become a 100% guess hitter.  His ADD condition seems to have gotten worse with or without using Adderrall.  The guy is toast unless they figure out some new meds.

If the Baltimore media had any brass ones, they would be asking these questions to Davis on his ADD condition, Adderall use, does he have an exemption, ect ect.  I can't get that quote out of my head from Davis in Sept 2014 - "The ball just looked like a blur"""   Why else would he have so many called third strikes, bat on shoulder??

Edited by CROUSEMAN

3 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

The reason I don't suspect PED use, is because he was just as big, when he was a minor leaguer with the Rangers. And his power was just as prodigious. And minor leaguers are tested much more than major leaguers. Also, Davis is an exceptionally agile player, for someone of his stature. Roided up sluggers don't have his kind of flexibility. 

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

The reason I don't suspect PED use, is because he was just as big, when he was a minor leaguer with the Rangers. And his power was just as prodigious. And minor leaguers are tested much more than major leaguers. Also, Davis is an exceptionally agile player, for someone of his stature. Roided up sluggers don't have his kind of flexibility. 

Agree.  Its a focus, ADD problem.  Adderrall must not be effective now.  God, we need an Albert Belle type medical settlement.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

Like I said, I guess we'll never know unless he gets caught.  All I know is that I exercise with weights and have for years.  I will never look like Chris Davis without chemical assistance and it will always remain dubious to me that anyone builds that kind of size from just eating well.