Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

In Baltimore's high-crime zones, an experiment in government starts to yield results

30 posts in this topic

I don't get the digital so I can't read it. But I will admit there have been some positive statistics, especially this past month as comparted to the same time frame last year. And I do hope it is due to changes and not mother nature. It has been very cold .....and we know how the weather affects things. But I hope for the best. 

Oh BTW....did you hear about the new software that the city has started using and plans to use extensively in the future to predict where crime is going to happen and have resources and a plan ready.

But you guessed it.... the NAACP and ACLU are getting briefs together to prevent it....as they feel it be nothing more than a form of 'computer profiling' and will be racially biased. And they may have a point.

I will try to find the article. 

Glad these agencies are all working together.  One big concern I have is the crime just simply moving to another area, which was addressed in the article. I hope it helps, the good people in these areas deserve some peace in their lives.  

Let's hope this program becomes effective long-term and is financed to expand to other areas. It all depends on political will and adequate funding.

No worries ....the do-gooders will kill it.....

Aren’t the do gooders the ones who initiated it?

6 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I don't get the digital so I can't read it.

For an I.T guy you're lacking in skills

In Baltimore’s most crime-ridden zones, city officials are conducting an experiment in government. They started last year by targeting four small, deeply troubled areas to be flooded with more police patrols and city services. They called them “Transformation Zones,” at first, then rebranded them as “Violence Reduction Zones.” They’ve since added three more zones, bringing the total to seven.

Each zone gets several dedicated police officers, called Neighborhood Coordination Officers, and an extra focus across city government for ramped-up services. Mayor Catherine Pugh has put $1.6 million in the city’s budget for two “rapid response” crews from the Department of Public Works to quickly clean up these areas, three more housing inspectors to enforce code violations such as peeling lead paint and extend hours at local recreation centers.

The idea is simple: If it can be rightly said that these areas were for far too long over-policed and under-served — and if this punitive style of government did not produce lasting crime declines — then officials should try the opposite: The zones should be drowning in services, from job training to street cleaning.

And if the approach can improve the most neglected parts of Baltimore, the theory goes, officials should be able to create a domino effect that will spread the transformation outward to neighboring areas, and eventually the city as a whole.

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

....For an I.T guy you're lacking in skills

My IT skills are fine....so are my accounting skills. 

i can buy a nice dinner or two for what they charge.

I read a real digital paper now. WP....except for the slow motion mass killings in the city....and the city goooberment screwing up....the stuff that counts is cut and paste from WP anyway.

Check it out look at the b-line....if it isn't a shooting ...it is cut and paste....even local stuff.

IT no....not flushing money down the toilet....yup

Edited by Guido2

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

My IT skills are fine....so are my accounting skills. 

i can buy a nice dinner or two for what they charge.

I read a real digital paper now. WP....except for the slow motion mass killings in the city....and the city goooberment screwing up....the stuff that counts is cut and paste from WP anyway.

Check it out look at the b-line....if it isn't a shooting ...it is cut and paste....even local stuff.

IT no....not flushing money down the toilet....yup

Or you could work the escape button. 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Or you could work the escape button. 

I tried all that escape button ...refresh  stuff I think you posted on another thread. That doesn't work

However, I just realized if I flip to reader view when available  ....it bypasses. And lets me see the article.

About the article

Yes change is possible....it is good to see. 

But I kinda laugh at a 'Rapid Response Team'.....this trash and such just didn't suddenly appear over night.....what happened to things like this just being part of the day to day job of BC sanitation?

But admittedly....this sort of thing is not exclusive to the city..... I have seen it here in the county as well. 

When I first moved here a street sweeper would come once a month....no more. There used to be a quarterly special pickup day for big stuff that is not normally 'trash' like old lumber or a busted up chair or lamp...that was replaced by a quarterly roll off in the area on a weekend....that went to twice a year....and now nothing. On trash days I used to see them take the garbage out of bus stop cans...now they overflow...same with the parks.

In the article someone said sort of 'people just throw trash everywhere now'. Well that is true....but maybe it is because the goooberment is setting a bad example....they don't care why should I?

Leading by example is a good thing. 

However... I still pocket my trash when walking and use a small garbage bag for my McD wrappers in the car. Unlike most people. 

Edited by Guido2

Guess no one in  the Govt. ever played Whack-A-Mole.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Pickle20 said:

Aren’t the do gooders the ones who initiated it?

The other do gooders. There are all sorts of do-gooders some strangely in conflict with each other sometimes.

Now in this case yes those do-gooders well....did good. Unfortunately, I can easily see....if this starts taking off....and people start moving in buying property...then the gentrification do-gooders will start their song.

How many times have we seen that in the paper....how many times has that very thing been brought up by posters here?

IMO.

Edited by Guido2

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, retired said:

Let's hope this program becomes effective long-term and is financed to expand to other areas. It all depends on political will and adequate funding.

Maybe it is me.....but it seems BC has a lot of difficulty following through. The are all gung ho....then it peters out. 

For example...just look at light rail and the subway. They never really finished and never really interconnect and do what they were supposed to do. Move people in a clean, clear cut efficient manner. 

And yes yes....MD had a hand in it to. 

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Maybe it is me.....but it seems BC has a lot of difficulty following through. The are all gung ho....then it peters out. 

For example...just look at light rail and the subway. They never really finished and never really interconnect and do what they were supposed to do. Move people in a clean, clear cut efficient manner. 

And yes yes....MD had a hand in it to. 

MD had more than a hand in it. MDOT is 100% responsible for it. Not Balto. City...

30 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

MD had more than a hand in it. MDOT is 100% responsible for it. Not Balto. City...

I stand corrected you are absolutely right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Light_RailLink  I obviously picked a bad example.

But you have to admit....there are many other things that seem to never get finished. Like sewers replaced, water that are accurate, city government phone systems that take years to get done and are still not, tearing down derelict buildings.....and so on. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 0:58 PM, Guido2 said:

the NAACP and ACLU are getting briefs together to prevent it

Another Spring; another season of preparation and anticipation! While most citizens are preparing to light their grills for outdoor enjoyment and fireworks for celebrations the low life thugs are preparing to light up each other.  Let's see where the count ends up in 2018!

48 minutes ago, FJBlacknight said:

Another Spring; another season of preparation and anticipation! While most citizens are preparing to light their grills for outdoor enjoyment and fireworks for celebrations the low life thugs are preparing to light up each other.  Let's see where the count ends up in 2018!

Well considering how the GA punked out on 'truth in sentencing' and 'mandatory sentencing'.

Odds are pretty good that this PD software will get hung up in courts for sure. Frankly, I am surprised that the new Commis. idea about concentrating assets in 'certain areas' hasn't raised a stink already. 

If they can make a big deal about a surveillance airplane taking pictures for thousands of feet up.....this sort of thing is a cake walk. 

6 hours ago, FJBlacknight said:

Another murder in B_more this morning, bringing the total for April to 27 killed in 21 days, and the weekend is just beginning. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-shootings-20180421-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3

Maybe De Sousa and Pugh should take their apology for the police skit on tour. 

4 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Another murder in B_more this morning, bringing the total for April to 27 killed in 21 days, and the weekend is just beginning. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-shootings-20180421-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3

Maybe De Sousa and Pugh should take their apology for the police skit on tour. 

He destroyed his credibility as a leader with the rest of his troops. 

De Sousa and Pugh BS aside, B_more is now 29 murders in 22 days before noon today.  Add in another shooting and armed carjacking in Highlandtown to the mix and there's a truer measure of results. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-sunday-morning-shootings-20180422-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3

Another shooting is Reservoir Hill too.  I've heard of it but am not sure where that is.  Must be one of the better (i.e. undergoing gentrification) areas. 

Weather gets better.  Crime gets worse.  So it goes in B_more.  Truth be told, it's getting worse in the county too. 

Summer is coming ..temp goes up.....tempers go up....statistics go up. 

This spring has been very cool and well nasty weather wise.....I am sure there is a lot of pent up shooting that have been delayed. 

You watch

14 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Summer is coming ..temp goes up.....tempers go up....statistics go up. 

This spring has been very cool and well nasty weather wise.....I am sure there is a lot of pent up shooting that have been delayed. 

You watch

Who is denying the crime in Baltimore?

9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Who is denying the crime in Baltimore?

Where did I say in my posts that anyone is denying there is crime.

My comment is strictly about the connection with the weather warming up and crime going up. With shootings playing catch-up. 

Let's see 26 shooting in 21 days. I think there were 3 more yesterday. It was a nice day yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Where did I say in my posts that anyone is denying there is crime.

My comment is strictly about the connection with the weather warming up and crime going up. With shootings playing catch-up. 

Let's see 26 shooting in 21 days. I think there were 3 more yesterday. It was a nice day yesterday. 

You said, "You watch" as if someone is out there saying that crime won't continue.

Everyone knows what's going on in Baltimore.

Yet it won't stop people from celebrating the bloodshed.

Carry on.