Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

Is it time for SFA to become an independent?.........

319 posts in this topic

The Miaa-a has a proud history and if enough schools continue getting shalacked by SFA, there will be a mass protest. I predict SFA will eventually get booted out and become independent.   

Posted (edited)

If SFA continues with the transfer model, they don’t have much longer in the MIAA. Taking in double digit transfers every season is blatent recruiting of current high school athletes. IMG does it and admits it. SJC did it, failed and now has decided to build a program properly. My biggest question for Poggi and Co. is why not build the program with the core they have now? You guys are straight loaded as is. You’ll rule the MIAA and nobody can complain. 

From the outside looking in, it feels like Poggi is looking at the MIAA and saying “I f#cking dare you to do something about this”... Does anyone know if he operates like this in real life or am I being over dramatic? He seems like a great guy, but everyone gets dark from time to time.

If SFA has to go independent, the program is over in 5 years max. Anything longer than that would be a financial suicide mission.

Edited by Silverbullet

Posted (edited)

How about just beating them period 

This BS whining is a joke, when Gilman was a time head and shoulders above teams like Calvert Hall and MCD beat them 

Edited by bleedingorangeandblack

10 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

If SFA continues with the transfer model, they don’t have much longer in the MIAA. Taking in double digit transfers every season is blatent recruiting of current high school athletes. IMG does it and admits it. SJC did it, failed and now has decided to build a program properly. My biggest question for Poggi and Co. is why not build the program with the core they have now? You guys are straight loaded as is. You’ll rule the MIAA and nobody can complain. 

From the outside looking in, it feels like Poggi is looking at the MIAA and saying “I f#cking dare you to do something about this”... Does anyone know if he operates like this in real life or am I being over dramatic? He seems like a great guy, but everyone gets dark from time to time.

If SFA has to go independent, the program is over in 5 years max. Anything longer than that would be a financial suicide mission.

I think its sustainable SB because of the cost. 9-10k isnt a large number which makes it attractive for parents. I think they should stay and not be kicked out. Transfers happen at a lot of private schools for one reason or another. Maybe they need to review the rules and consider some changes before talking/complaining about kicking somebody out.

1 hour ago, Tomslick said:

I think its sustainable SB because of the cost. 9-10k isnt a large number which makes it attractive for parents. I think they should stay and not be kicked out. Transfers happen at a lot of private schools for one reason or another. Maybe they need to review the rules and consider some changes before talking/complaining about kicking somebody out.

I mean that playing an independent schedule while staying nationally relevant is unsustainable for a school like SFA. You need more financial backing than that staff can provide. Way more. There are rumors that IMG’s program won’t be around in 5 years because the ends don’t justify the means and they operate in another financial galaxy. At the end of the day, it’s high school football. Structured programs outlast the transfer factories 10/10 times. 

I agree that it would be great if SFA stays in the MIAA. The problem is they are actively recruiting multiple transfers and it’s blatent. I’m sure it’s happened before with other top teams with one or two kids, but when double digit transfers are coming in every single year, it’s a problem that needs to be fixed. If Calvert Hall or Loyola were taking in 14 D1 level transfers from up and down the east coast every year, the same issues would arise. People wouldn’t just let that fly. The socio-economic bias theory is just a scare tactic. 

There definitely needs to be a rules review, but SFA’s staff should stop being so short minded. Build for the future and that requires a strong league. How would you feel if they were leagueless in 5 years, the staff($$$) moved on, and the school was on the brink of shutting down similar to Montrose Christian after Vetter? Would that neighborhood in Baltimore be better or worse without SFA? 

10 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

I mean that playing an independent schedule while staying nationally relevant is unsustainable for a school like SFA. You need more financial backing than that staff can provide. Way more. There are rumors that IMG’s program won’t be around in 5 years because the ends don’t justify the means and they operate in another financial galaxy. At the end of the day, it’s high school football. Structured programs outlast the transfer factories 10/10 times. 

I agree that it would be great if SFA stays in the MIAA. The problem is they are actively recruiting multiple transfers and it’s blatent. I’m sure it’s happened before with other top teams with one or two kids, but when double digit transfers are coming in every single year, it’s a problem that needs to be fixed. If Calvert Hall or Loyola were taking in 14 D1 level transfers from up and down the east coast every year, the same issues would arise. People wouldn’t just let that fly. The socio-economic bias theory is just a scare tactic. 

There definitely needs to be a rules review, but SFA’s staff should stop being so short minded. Build for the future and that requires a strong league. How would you feel if they were leagueless in 5 years, the staff($$$) moved on, and the school was on the brink of shutting down similar to Montrose Christian after Vetter? Would that neighborhood in Baltimore be better or worse without SFA? 

But Bullet, It was stated in this forum that the league WAS STRONG AS EVER since they had a 5-way tie for 2nd place this season.  You are saying that the strength of league is in jeopardy ?

2 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

How about just beating them period 

This BS whining is a joke, when Gilman was a time head and shoulders above teams like Calvert Hall and MCD beat them 

I am with you Bleedingorangeandblack....everybody work hard and beat em.

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

SFA has become a sports academy.......they simply do not reflect what the Miaa-a is about.....They should be replaced with Bcc

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

But Bullet, It was stated in this forum that the league WAS STRONG AS EVER since they had a 5-way tie for 2nd place this season.  You are saying that the strength of league is in jeopardy ?

It’s a very strong league. The league is fine with or without SFA. The powers that be need to define what they want for the MIAA. The blame is on them right now. If double digit transfers every year fits in with that definition then great, SFA is all good. But, the basic fact that no other team in the league operates in that manner hints to that decision being highly unlikely. If the MIAA decides they want nothing to do with a transfer factory, then that’s on SFA. It’s decision time. They created that program and need to deal with the consequences. 

9 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

SFA has become a sports academy.......they simply do not reflect what the Miaa-a is about.....They should be replaced with Bcc

May I ask what other sport that SFA bring in multiple transfers?  If there's no other sport then I can't compare them to IMG and call them a sports academy.

9 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

May I ask what other sport that SFA bring in multiple transfers?  If there's no other sport then I can't compare them to IMG and call them a sports academy.

so what......I over stated a lil bit....its the Trump era....next question....

Does anyone have a list of the often talked about 20+ junior and senior transfers that already had D1 offers who transferred in last year, representing the often talked about 8 states? I asked for this before and no one seemed to have any idea. They'd rather run with the hypothetical. I'd rather deal in facts. Hopefully, one of our SFA experts that have nothing to do with the school can provide this list. Thanks in advance to anyone that may have this list.

The numbers being thrown around are definitely exaggerated in terms of the total amount of transfers and how many places they came from.

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, themamba said:

Does anyone have a list of the often talked about 20+ junior and senior transfers that already had D1 offers who transferred in last year, representing the often talked about 8 states? I asked for this before and no one seemed to have any idea. They'd rather run with the hypothetical. I'd rather deal in facts. Hopefully, one of our SFA experts that have nothing to do with the school can provide this list. Thanks in advance to anyone that may have this list.

Silly inquiry. You can google it for yourself. Russell was quoted in the Baltimore Sun as saying they took in 20 transfers his first year. I can name 10 from last season off the top of my head without looking at a roster. The 8 states thing is a strange claim. I know of 4.

Edited by Silverbullet

I googled it 34 Xfer with 10 out of state not including DC. I did not post kids names didn’t think it was right

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Theyve been saying that about IMG for years now!

The staff isnt doing anything different than what all the others are doing. The cost of the school helps! SFA is about 10K and can attract kids/familes that wont mind paying 40-60% of the tuition for the "Opportuntiy" to play a "National Schedule".  If they want to fix it change the rules. But the cost makes it a lot easier for them to do what they do. 

Edited by Tomslick

4 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

I am with you guys on this as well. Everyone needs to work hard at beating SFA instead of moaning and groaning about them. When I was in HS we didn't complain about a team that we had to play. We worked hard in the off season so we had a chance at beating those guys. Just my opinion!

It's apples and oranges.  All the hard work in the world isn't going to even out that talent gap.  But I generally agree that people need to move on unless SFA is breaking rules.

1 hour ago, Tomslick said:

Theyve been saying that about IMG for years now!

The staff isnt doing anything different than what all the others are doing. The cost of the school helps! SFA is about 10K and can attract kids/familes that wont mind paying 40-60% of the tuition for the "Opportuntiy" to play a "National Schedule".  If they want to fix it change the rules. But the cost makes it a lot easier for them to do what they do. 

You keep quoting the tuition at SFA like the parents are paying it. 

18 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Didn't Sjc just transfer in a QB from Hawaii.  I think they are using the same model.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Tiger1012 said:

Didn't Sjc just transfer in a QB from Hawaii.  I think they are using the same model.

Yea they do take in one or two transfers still, but nothing like SFA. Good Counsel, DM and Gonzaga will also take in one or two transfers this year and probably more talented than the Hawaii QB. The difference is the WCAC decided to split this year. No more complaining about the haves vs have nots. My point is the MIAA needs to re-evaluate itself like the WCAC did. 

Edited by Silverbullet

2 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

I googled it 34 Xfer with 10 out of state not including DC. I did not post kids names didn’t think it was right

Thanks. You forgot to supply that link.

3 hours ago, gillytech said:

The numbers being thrown around are definitely exaggerated in terms of the total amount of transfers and how many places they came from.

I know. I see these daily tantrums and wonder if those that are consumed with this topic understand that others like you and I know these numbers are exaggerrated, yet they still get thrown around daily.