Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

Is it time for SFA to become an independent?.........

315 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Indeed - thoughts and prayers to all affected by re-classification

Its devastating.Even 15-20 years later.

52 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Indeed - thoughts and prayers to all affected by re-classification

Lol, this is funny. 

Lol.  Meanwhile, at schools like Gilman, BL, and the private feeder schools many kids are held back before 1st grade to give them a leg up re: maturity, academics, etc.  Both my kids are in their standard grades based on their ages and both have numerous classmates at least a year older than them, some >1.5 years in grades 1 and 4.

5 hours ago, Bully said:

Not bad mouthing Corum and we’ve exhausted the reclass debate.  Until more states do what NJ is trying to do and penalize kids and parents for manipulating the system then we get this continued nonsense.  When kids are mentally and physically capable of being in the appropriate grade but hold themselves back to get an advantage over appropriate age-grade kids it’s called cheating.  And yes, it works.  Any dumby Coach can figure that out.  But Wax was leading the MIAA in rushing as a 14 year old before he got injured against CH.  Corum was running against 7th graders at 14.  In the end, I wish both boys success but will always root harder for the kid/parent that is guided by morals and ethics vs results.  Wax will be the better player by senior year IMO.  Eventually cheating catches up with you and so do the younger athletes that hit puberty 2 years later.  

I think it’s been pretty much proven, that just because you’re not reclassed, doesn’t mean you catch up to those who have been. I personally like Wax more than Corum, although he’s incredibly injury prone. The kids still have to prove themselves at the next level.

Most of the best kids who came out of Maryland, to play at the next level and beyond, we’re all reclassed or held back for grades. Tavon, Diggs, Cyrus Jones, Haden, etc. we’re all reclassed or failed a grade. 

2 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Lol.  Meanwhile, at schools like Gilman, BL, and the private feeder schools many kids are held back before 1st grade to give them a leg up re: maturity, academics, etc.  Both my kids are in their standard grades based on their ages and both have numerous classmates at least a year older than them, some >1.5 years in grades 1 and 4.

Exactly! It’s very common for kids to be older at Bmore Area privates than they are at public schools. 

Personally, my son was held back before he started school, because his birthday is at the very end of December. Had nothing to do with athletics, all to do with his mental maturity at the time. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gillytech said:

I appreciate your candor. That was exactly my point, that this has been happening, particularily among those that have gone to private schools, for decades. To some on here, one 19 year old playing is vastly different than another 19 year old playing, based on the age of when the reclassification occured, and reason given. Or, in just about 99.9% of the cases, never given, leaving the presumably grown men on a message board to give a reason for the family they do not know. But, yes Gilly, this reclass thing has been going on for years, decades even.

Side note: Its amazing how many handles, both new and old, know not only all of the SFA kids birthdays, but their birth years. Its truly amazing. And, if I may add, its the same handles that don't even know the names or numbers of the players on their own team, or supposed team.

Edited by themamba

Mommas Boy reverting to calling people handles again as soon as they have a different opinion.  Reclassing has been around forever but at much lower volumes.  Facts.  As you like to say.  But why should those kids and parents follow the rules established by Boards of Education, Lawmakers, Legislators, and what vast majority of society does.  Why should they pay taxes, why should they obey traffic signals, why should they be expected to do anything that has been established for the well being of society as a whole.  Ofcourse, college scholarships for the rulebreakers is more important.  News flash dipshi$.  No adults care on this forum but if you are a kid that is of right age in Maryland and your senior year you get passed with college scholarship because they are all being snatched up by holdbacks dont you think there’s a problem.  It supports rule breakers.  In the end, 99% of these kids end up in the workforce and not in the NFL.  Those kids that have had mommy and daddy hold them back, and break rules for lil Johnny’s college scholarship will have rough adjustment when their boss gets in their a$$.  Just a little different perspective.  Raise young men that work hard, not young men always looking for a shortcut or advantage through cheating.  

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Bully said:

Mommas Boy reverting to calling people handles again as soon as they have a different opinion.  Reclassing has been around forever but at much lower volumes.  Facts.  As you like to say.  But why should those kids and parents follow the rules established by Boards of Education, Lawmakers, Legislators, and what vast majority of society does.  Why should they pay taxes, why should they obey traffic signals, why should they be expected to do anything that has been established for the well being of society as a whole.  Ofcourse, college scholarships for the rulebreakers is more important.  News flash dipshi$.  No adults care on this forum but if you are a kid that is of right age in Maryland and your senior year you get passed with college scholarship because they are all being snatched up by holdbacks dont you think there’s a problem.  It supports rule breakers.  In the end, 99% of these kids end up in the workforce and not in the NFL.  Those kids that have had mommy and daddy hold them back, and break rules for lil Johnny’s college scholarship will have rough adjustment when their boss gets in their a$$.  Just a little different perspective.  Raise young men that work hard, not young men always looking for a shortcut or advantage through cheating.  

I'm sorry you allowed my post to creep into the delicate emotional state you find yourself in today, and every day. It was actually me that provided a different opinion in this thread. You are throwing a tantrum because I said handles? LMAO! Funny as ****. Try to not be that soft. The rest of your post makes zero sense, as it pertains to me agreeing with Gilly. It actually has nothing to do with what we were talking about. Grow up, little man.

Edited by themamba

2 hours ago, Bully said:

Could've fooled me.  That's quite a diatribe for someone who doesn't care about reclassifying. 

Posted (edited)

Agree with Mamba & Gilly Tech.  New handles suck!

Edited by TheGuru

On 5/8/2018 at 0:34 PM, HY3:13 said:

STOP...." someguy" with the ole "whats best for the family BS" and admit what is it. Re-classing is STRICTLY for athletic advantage, nothing else. STOP!

If you don't know, then stop speculating about what goes into these decisions.    Most of the families I know that reclassed their sons did it for either academic, maturity, medical or other reasons.  In the end, parents are going to do what best for their kid.

On 5/8/2018 at 0:06 PM, Bully said:

Not bad mouthing Corum and we’ve exhausted the reclass debate.  Until more states do what NJ is trying to do and penalize kids and parents for manipulating the system then we get this continued nonsense.  When kids are mentally and physically capable of being in the appropriate grade but hold themselves back to get an advantage over appropriate age-grade kids it’s called cheating.  And yes, it works.  Any dumby Coach can figure that out.  But Wax was leading the MIAA in rushing as a 14 year old before he got injured against CH.  Corum was running against 7th graders at 14.  In the end, I wish both boys success but will always root harder for the kid/parent that is guided by morals and ethics vs results.  Wax will be the better player by senior year IMO.  Eventually cheating catches up with you and so do the younger athletes that hit puberty 2 years later.  

Comparing him and his family to prostitutes is not a compliment.  As long as these kids are playing within the high school rules it's not cheating, and doesnt mean they dont have morals.  Sometimes it's financial decision, if my kids needs more time for whatever reason should I put out 20-30k to send him to PostGrad to make everyone feel better?

As for a 14yo playing against 7th graders...you know what college coaches don't look at?  Youth football tape.  So that gets you some great memories but won't get you any offers and is not keeping the other kids from getting offers.  In high school, kids range in age from 13-18.  Some older kids get beat out by younger kids and vice versa.  Same thing in college.  Dont know the Wax kid but will check out his tape and wish him luck.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:55 AM, GOOCH said:

Get your status up on this forum before you quote me soneguys DaD  . I type what I want when I want sincerely yours GOOCH 

Sorry it took so long to respond but I had other things to do than 'get my status up'.  To be clear, I am not Corum's dad but I have watched the kid and he is hardworker, a good kid and a damn good player. 

USA Today’s Early Pre Season Top 25 came out today...Local teams listed are...

#5 St. John’s 

#7 St. Frances Academy 

#23 Good Counsel

Teams of note...

#1 IMG plays SJC and possible SFA? Rumored

#10 Hoover plays SJC

#11 St. Thomas Aquinas plays DeMatha

#13 St. Joseph’s Prep plays Good Counsel

#17 Imhotep Charter plays DeMatha? Rumored

#19 Marietta plays SJC and Good Counsel

#24 Martinsburg plays HD Woodson

3 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

#5 St. John’s 

#7 St. Frances Academy 

#23 Good Counsel

Teams of note...

#10 Hoover plays SJC

Wonder if all the MD privates got all the NFHS stuff taken care of playing these out of state public?

2 hours ago, RM7 said:

Wonder if all the MD privates got all the NFHS stuff taken care of playing these out of state public?

Weird I know and I don’t mean to take everyone to the 5th dimension in the twilight zone, but most states let the publics and privates play under the same umbrella. Basically, the process is the same for SJC to play Miami Central as it is for DM to play St. Thomas Aquinas. They need to complete a waiver process. DM and GC have done this before with teams like American Heritage, Manatee, Godby, Miami Central, Imokalee, etc...

4 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

#5 St. John’s 

#7 St. Frances Academy 

#23 Good Counsel

Teams of note...

#10 Hoover plays SJC

SJC shouldn’t be ranked over SFA. SFA returns a LOT, and brings in A LOT! 

Little shocked that DM didn’t make the list. 

Just now, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I’m sure you’ll see SFA over SJC in most polls. They both have top 10 talent, but SFA has the better QB at this point. I’m not sold on the Hawaii transfer yet. I do like SJC’s defense more than SFA, but that’s close. SJC’s secondary gives them the edge IMO.

I think people are timid with DM because they need to see if they can score. If they can figure that out, watch out. They are as big and fast as anyone in the country. If the rumors are true, we’ll know if DM is for real immediately with that #11 St. Thomas Aquinas game down in FL in game #1. #17 Imhotep is no slouch either. Then #7 SFA? I’m guessing Brooks is very confident.

Good Counsel got hooked with #23. Nothing against them. I really like what the new staff is doing in Olney. I think they have the best OL in the state, but they have a few thin spots compared to the other usual suspects. 

Gonzaga should be interesting. They have the best QB with Williams in the area. They also have their fair share of power 5 players like Wete, Petitbon, Davis, Stewart, etc...scattered around. 

Can you think of another year with this many nationlly relevant teams from the area? I don’t think it will happen, but if one of these teams runs the table, they have to be the outright National Champ right? 

10 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I would have been more shocked if they were on the list.

13 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

I’m sure you’ll see SFA over SJC in most polls. They both have top 10 talent, but SFA has the better QB at this point. I’m not sold on the Hawaii transfer yet. I do like SJC’s defense more than SFA, but that’s close. SJC’s secondary gives them the edge IMO.

I think people are timid with DM because they need to see if they can score. If they can figure that out, watch out. They are as big and fast as anyone in the country. If the rumors are true, we’ll know if DM is for real immediately with that #11 St. Thomas Aquinas game down in FL in game #1. #17 Imhotep is no slouch either. Then #7 SFA? I’m guessing Brooks is very confident.

Good Counsel got hooked with #23. Nothing against them. I really like what the new staff is doing in Olney. I think they have the best OL in the state, but they have a few thin spots compared to the other usual suspects. 

Gonzaga should be interesting. They have the best QB with Williams in the area. They also have their fair share of power 5 players like Wete, Petitbon, Davis, Stewart, etc...scattered around. 

Can you think of another year with this many nationlly relevant teams from the area? I don’t think it will happen, but if one of these teams runs the table, they have to be the outright National Champ right? 

I think if SFA or SJC run the table, they have a very good shot at being the MNC. 

I think SFA is as loaded as any team in the country, not named IMG. 

Will DM and SFA play this year? I thought that game was confirmed. 

25 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I think if SFA or SJC run the table, they have a very good shot at being the MNC. 

I think SFA is as loaded as any team in the country, not named IMG. 

Will DM and SFA play this year? I thought that game was confirmed. 

Was at the track meet this past Saturday and from some of the talk SFA might be looking for a bunch of games for next season.  

13 minutes ago, DJ88 said:

Was at the track meet this past Saturday and from some of the talk SFA might be looking for a bunch of games for next season.  

I know Aquinas backed out of their game, DeMatha may have as well. 

14 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

a lot more than that

Sounds eerily familiar....ECA was struggling to find games their last couple of years. I know they were not affiliated with a league as SFA is, but don't be surprised if other A conference teams drop them or follow Loyola and declare themselves as independent in order to get SFA off their schedule. I dont think SFA is the "house of cards" that ECA was (Everyone knew once Sills left they were running on fumes) but if they continue on their current course of restocking with regional and national plug-and-play kids It comes to a head sooner rather than later. JMHO 

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I’m sure that SFA has had teams back out of games, but STA and DM are not in that group. SFA dropped the STA game because they didn’t like the deal offered. It was a financial issue. If I had to guess, SFA is playing IMG down there and the STA deal did not justify a second trip to Florida. That’s when DM stepped in to take the game. That’s what was reported by STA, DM and SFA people. 

I haven’t heard that the DM vs SFA game was off, but both teams haven’t made it official yet. I think it’s happening. The only two OOC games that DM has made official are Friendship Collegiate and #17 Imhotep Charter(PA). As much as it will pain Rob A., I don’t think DM plays Franklin this season. The reason DM and SFA haven’t released their schedules yet is because they are searching for one or two games to fill. Both teams are in a tough spot trying to find willing teams, which is the main reason that SFA needs the MIAA more than the other way around.