Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

Is it time for SFA to become an independent?.........

319 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Yea they do take in one or two transfers still, but nothing like SFA. Good Counsel, DM and Gonzaga will also take in one or two transfers this year and probably more talented than the Hawaii QB. The difference is the WCAC decided to split this year. No more complaining about the haves vs have nots. My point is the MIAA needs to re-evaluate itself like the WCAC did. 

sjc is also bringing in the #1 DT out of Connecticut as well that already has a list of offers. dematha is bringing in the most transfers. I highly doubt Gonzaga is bringing any transfers at all, they cant get in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gc06 said:

sjc is also bringing in the #1 DT out of Connecticut as well that already has a list of offers. dematha is bringing in the most transfers. I highly doubt Gonzaga is bringing any transfers at all, they cant get in. 

Let’s revisit the Gonzaga comment in a few months. I’ve heard otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Let’s revisit the Gonzaga comment in a few months. I’ve heard otherwise. 

I know what kid you're talking about. and from a couple reliable sources,they all say no it's not happening 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Nobody from out of the area, will pay $6k to go to SFA, when they have much better options academic wise for less, in better environments. Have you ever been to East Baltimore, specifically that area before? Like GT said, kids aren’t paying anything, and this is why they’re attractive right now. 

Nobody is beating SFA, the talk of “just go out and beat them,” is laughable. I don’t have a problem with what they’re doing(football wise), but stop it with this fake narrative of teams needing to coach better, or whatever you want to say. They’re unbeatable right now. It is what it is. If they’re not breaking rules, more power to them.

But as I’ve said before, SFA needs the MIAA, more than they need them. If they get kicked out of the league, Biff and crew will be out of there in 5 years, and the school will be in serious trouble. 

And that is what I am saying GA, especially after reading this article:

https://www.archbalt.org/st-frances-academy-builds-improbable-athletic-powerhouse/

Sounds like the powers that be had their conversation with St Frances and they feel like what Hammer sang:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Nobody from out of the area, will pay $6k to go to SFA, when they have much better options academic wise for less, in better environments. Have you ever been to East Baltimore, specifically that area before? Like GT said, kids aren’t paying anything, and this is why they’re attractive right now. 

Nobody is beating SFA, the talk of “just go out and beat them,” is laughable. I don’t have a problem with what they’re doing(football wise), but stop it with this fake narrative of teams needing to coach better, or whatever you want to say. They’re unbeatable right now. It is what it is. If they’re not breaking rules, more power to them.

But as I’ve said before, SFA needs the MIAA, more than they need them. If they get kicked out of the league, Biff and crew will be out of there in 5 years, and the school will be in serious trouble. 

 As far as academics its 16 core courses a 2.3 and a qualifying SAT/ACT score. A quick peep, SFA has 10 math courses, 14 natural/physical sciences, 13 social sciences, 9 ELA & 14 additional core courses that are NCAA approved. Thats all that matters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random side note. It looks like DeMatha is playing St. Thomas Aquinas from Florida in week 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

And that is what I am saying GA, especially after reading this article:

https://www.archbalt.org/st-frances-academy-builds-improbable-athletic-powerhouse/

Sounds like the powers that be had their conversation with St Frances and they feel like what Hammer sang:

 

So they took the kid from Richmond because theres no school there like SFA? Why haven’t they picked up another Richmond kid that doesn’t play a sport if they’re so charitable?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

Random side note. It looks like DeMatha is playing St. Thomas Aquinas from Florida in week 1.

Check pm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Oldtime said:

So they took the kid from Richmond because theres no school there like SFA? Why haven’t they picked up another Richmond kid that doesn’t play a sport if they’re so charitable?  

Why didnt the kid/family pick another school in Richmond should be the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, themamba said:

Thanks. You forgot to supply that link.

You can dig them up took me 30 minutes. Not throwing kids names out there. If people want names just go look. How about the transfer from France now. That is a news article I was sent today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to congratulate the former Gilman stud Shane Lee, for committing to Alabama today!! Can’t wait to see him at the next level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

You can dig them up took me 30 minutes. Not throwing kids names out there. If people want names just go look. How about the transfer from France now. That is a news article I was sent today.

They must be doing something right to have a kid bypass a ton of "better schools"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

They must be doing something right to have a kid bypass a ton of "better schools"

Yes I am sure free housing, food, transportation, trips to see family on breaks, education, spending money. All speculation but incentives I have heard from someone inside the program that they provide. Glad we don’t have to deal with them and this nonsense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OldBallCoach said:

Yes I am sure free housing, food, transportation, trips to see family on breaks, education, spending money. All speculation but incentives I have heard from someone inside the program that they provide. Glad we don’t have to deal with them and this nonsense 

Assuming vs actual facts 

MCD has boarding no complaints there?? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Assuming vs actual facts 

MCD has boarding no complaints there?? 

 

A coach being told by him so take that what it is worth. Yes I do have issues with that. I am a public school guy never understood shipping your 14 year old off to live at a boarding school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldBallCoach said:

Yes I am sure free housing, food, transportation, trips to see family on breaks, education, spending money. All speculation but incentives I have heard from someone inside the program that they provide. Glad we don’t have to deal with them and this nonsense 

Those aren't all assumptions, just the trips and spending money.  SFA openly admitted the following benefits are provided in this article: https://www.archbalt.org/st-frances-academy-builds-improbable-athletic-powerhouse/:

  • "According to Deacon Turner, Poggi is funding scholarships for more than 40 football players at St. Frances Academy"
  • "football players from out of town are housed, fed and supervised in two row homes in nearby Canton."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Also, I did a little research re: the number of transfers at SFA.  The most recent roster I could find online was the one on MaxPreps here: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/st-frances-academy-panthers-(baltimore,md)/football-fall-17/roster.htm.  That roster isn't completely accurate since it includes kids who transferred out of SFA before the 2017 season (like Jared Lewis, Holgerson & Calvin Carroll), at least one who never played for SFA (Leddie Brown), and appears to include some kids who transferred in after the season (Terry Jones), but by my count there were at least 26 transfers on the 2017 SFA squad from 5 states (MD/DE/FL/PA/VA) + DC.  That being said, the transfers and aid being given all appear to be ok under MIAA rules and SFA seems about as transparent as possible about everything. 

 

 

Edited by gillytech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Also, I did a little research re: the number of transfers at SFA.  The most recent roster I could find online was the one on MaxPreps here: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/st-frances-academy-panthers-(baltimore,md)/football-fall-17/roster.htm.  That roster isn't completely accurate since it includes kids who transferred out of SFA before the 2017 season (like Jared Lewis, Holgerson & Calvin Carroll), at least one who never played for SFA (Leddie Brown), and appears to include some kids who transferred in after the season (Terry Jones), but by my count there were at least 26 transfers on the 2017 SFA squad from 5 states (MD/DE/FL/PA/VA) + DC.

 

 

I always use the roster they put on Hudl that seems to be a little more accurate because the template by the coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Have to congratulate the former Gilman stud Shane Lee, for committing to Alabama today!! Can’t wait to see him at the next level. 

Great choice after Ohio State Michigan and Penn State wouldn’t take his commitment last week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GOOCH said:

Great choice after Ohio State Michigan and Penn State wouldn’t take his commitment last week 

I heard about the PSU but not the others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RM7 said:

I heard about the PSU but not the others

Biff and crew warned their players again to stay away from the camps they don’t need them and the camps hurt them more than they help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Have to congratulate the former Gilman stud Shane Lee, for committing to Alabama today!! Can’t wait to see him at the next level. 

G, 

Give him Props and the other two schools too, St. John's in DC and St. Frances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gooch.  What happened at camp for Shane Lee that hurt him in PSU coaches eyes.  Kid is flat out stud.  Curious what you think they saw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 7:40 AM, bleedingorangeandblack said:

How about just beating them period 

This BS whining is a joke, when Gilman was a time head and shoulders above teams like Calvert Hall and MCD beat them 

Very good point, however, I think its different with SFA and heres why...supposedly, Poggi felt Gilman players were too soft and wanted hardened kids to play for him....he got that at SFA....all of the games that the good Gilman teams lost were pretty much to other teams who challenged them and punched back....punching back at SFA simply won't work because not only are they talented but they are really tough kids....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0