Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

Is it time for SFA to become an independent?.........

315 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, EaglePride said:

Another example of how kids change is Cole Boozer (Loyola, Temple). Played LB, DE, and TE in HS at 6.5' maybe 215-220. Gets to Temple as a TE, bulks up to 290-300, moves to RG and will probably be a Free Agent pick or Practice squad guy in the NFL. Ran a 5.09 and did 26 reps at his Temple Pro day.  The point is, kids can change quite a bit from 10th grade through college.

An interesting research project would be to see if more  6'5" 300 pound + HS kids running 5.3's work out in college and above compared to the 6'5" 220 kid who then bulked up in college. Don't have the answer to that question, but it popped to mind when reading the comments on Boozer and the HS soph above. Had a HS friend that was the national defensive Gatorade HS player of the year for USA Today in the 80's that was a All American HS DE at 6'4" 240. Went to Penn State where they said "your 4.8 forty is too slow", and bulked him to 300 pounds and the nose guard slot.  Here he is returning a fumble 95 yards against Maryland (where he got caught on the 3 yard line by the center who got off the ground and chased him 90 yards for the tackle). Point - slow guys get moved to O-line or maybe nose guard but they still can be great players. Trivia Question - who's 31 in the pic for PS?  

Image may contain: one or more people and people playing sports

11 hours ago, Bully said:

Old time.  Not sure where u getting his 40 time from but he just competed at Nike Opening and ran a 5.3 40.  That ain’t gonna cut it at DE.  I think he’ll be a great lineman but too slow to play power 5 DE.  Let’s compare to E.Anoma from SFA.  Ran 4.6 40 and is also 6’5, 240 lbs.  I think Bressee will be an excellent guard or tackle.  IMO.

So we’ll compare a kid year older and 50 pounds lighter?  You think Anoma is going to play at 240 at bama?  No way. He’ll beef up and won’t be running a 4.6 anymore I bet. Bresee already has the body to play at the next level, only needs to get stronger, but he’s only 16. 

14 hours ago, Oldtime said:

So we’ll compare a kid year older and 50 pounds lighter?  You think Anoma is going to play at 240 at bama?  No way. He’ll beef up and won’t be running a 4.6 anymore I bet. Bresee already has the body to play at the next level, only needs to get stronger, but he’s only 16. 

A year older is being kind

32 minutes ago, RM7 said:

A year older is being kind

Very Kind!!!!

Bresse and Anoma don't play the same position; Bresse would be a DE in Alabama's 3-4, whereas Anoma will presumably be a Jack or Will LB.  

22 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Bresse and Anoma don't play the same position; Bresse would be a DE in Alabama's 3-4, whereas Anoma will presumably be a Jack or Will LB.  

Yeah and they are about 4 years difference in age

Posted (edited)

On 4/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, Bully said:

Old time.  Not sure where u getting his 40 time from but he just competed at Nike Opening and ran a 5.3 40.  That ain’t gonna cut it at DE.  I think he’ll be a great lineman but too slow to play power 5 DE.  Let’s compare to E.Anoma from SFA.  Ran 4.6 40 and is also 6’5, 240 lbs.  I think Bressee will be an excellent guard or tackle.  IMO.

You talking about about this Opening 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stumpf_Brian/status/983093346150289408/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stumpf_Brian/status/983170627698913280/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/TodderickHunt/status/983034669879918592/video/1

not a bad showing for a rising junior. 

Edited by Oldtime
Addition

6 hours ago, Oldtime said:

Not a bad showing and still has a couple of years to even get better.  Congrats to that young man.

I’m kind of lost here...what’s the problem with Bresee ending up inside on the DL at the next level? 6’6 290 is absolutely massive at 16 years old for a DE. That’s not a high school senior getting ready for his freshman year. That’s a kid with two more years of high school left. If DMass is smart, Bresee will be moving back and forth from every spot on the DL to keep opposing OC’s honest. If he pans out, they’ll probably do the same in college. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

I’m kind of lost here...what’s the problem with Bresee ending up inside on the DL at the next level? 6’6 290 is absolutely massive at 16 years old for a DE. That’s not a high school senior getting ready for his freshman year. That’s a kid with two more years of high school left. If DMass is smart, Bresee will be moving back and forth from every spot on the DL to keep opposing OC’s honest. If he pans out, they’ll probably do the same in college. 

I guess the Dmass staff is pretty smart, Bresee played all over the d line last year. the best was when they went unbalanced line on O had both D1 tackles on one side and Bresee at TE. Talk about unfair. 

Edited by Oldtime

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Oldtime said:

I guess the Dmass staff is pretty smart, Bresee played all over the d line last year. the best was when they went off balance line on O had both D1 tackles on one side and Bresee at TE. Talk about unfair. 

Yea I figured it happened last year. I knew they had another talented DE on the other side. I have some family up that way. I pay attention to what’s going on, but not as much as I should. I’ll probably have a nephew playing there soon. His age group is pretty stacked. DMass won’t be fading any time soon.

Edited by Silverbullet

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

Yea I figured it happened last year. I knew they had another talented DE on the other side. I have some family up that way. I pay attention to what’s going on, but not as much as I should. I’ll probably have a nephew playing there soon. His age group is pretty stacked. DMass won’t be fading any time soon.

If your nephew is coming up through the cougar program he’ll be ready when he becomes a Hornet. 

16 hours ago, Oldtime said:

I guess the Dmass staff is pretty smart, Bresee played all over the d line last year. the best was when they went unbalanced line on O had both D1 tackles on one side and Bresee at TE. Talk about unfair. 

15 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Here's his highlight reel from his soph season.  And it shows him making plays from all DL positions:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8072308/59c82b9623521212207114cf

On 4/25/2018 at 4:48 PM, gc06 said:

haha still not answering the question. I've spoken with a top 5 college head recruiter about breese. he said the reason he blew up is because of what he did in the camp circuit as a 9th grader.. no mention of him playing for the nig bad Damascus Hornets 

You might be right, being at Damascus will not serve him or other players well when it comes to recruiting.  Everyone knows you have to attend a private to get looks.  I mean, look at the past week at Damascus, they only had the following schools visit to speak with multiple football under class-men. Just imagine if they were at one of the elite privates.

Private schools rule!

WVU

BC

Kentucky

USC

OSU

Oklahoma

Sacred Heart

Holy Cross

PSU

Navy

VT

Tenn

Clemson

Wisconsin

Florida

Maryland

24 minutes ago, Hambonepack said:

You might be right, being at Damascus will not serve him or other players well when it comes to recruiting.  Everyone knows you have to attend a private to get looks.  I mean, look at the past week at Damascus, they only had the following schools visit to speak with multiple football under class-men. Just imagine if they were at one of the elite privates.

Private schools rule!

WVU

BC

Kentucky

USC

OSU

Oklahoma

Sacred Heart

Holy Cross

PSU

Navy

VT

Tenn

Clemson

Wisconsin

Florida

Maryland

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Hambonepack said:

Private schools rule!

WVU

BC

Kentucky

USC

OSU

Oklahoma

Sacred Heart

Holy Cross

PSU

Navy

VT

Tenn

Clemson

Wisconsin

Florida

Maryland

That soph class is loaded, others beyond Bresee are getting attention, including the Frosh, Ryan Linthicum. 

Edited by Oldtime

1 hour ago, Hambonepack said:

Private schools rule!

WVU

BC

Kentucky

USC

OSU

Oklahoma

Sacred Heart

Holy Cross

PSU

Navy

VT

Tenn

Clemson

Wisconsin

Florida

Maryland

Nuff said!

3 hours ago, Hambonepack said:

Private schools rule!

WVU

BC

Kentucky

USC

OSU

Oklahoma

Sacred Heart

Holy Cross

PSU

Navy

VT

Tenn

Clemson

Wisconsin

Florida

Maryland

u are all a bunch of clowns.  I never said one bad thing about kid himself or that he wouldn't get looks. he's a beast. I only said the competition he's going against doesn't make him better.  you can't argue that

yea privates rule.  gc tried to play/ scrimmage Damascus plenty of times.  guess who always says no?

3 minutes ago, gc06 said:

yea privates rule.  gc tried to play/ scrimmage Damascus plenty of times.  guess who always says no?

Yep, let’s pound our chest, beating up on a school that is limited to kids from a limited school district, by a team of all stars from multiple counties is really impressive. Heck there’s been a number of years that GC had more kids on their Roster from the Dmass cluster than Olney. Why did GC stop listing where the kids come from?  If GC didn’t beat up on Dmass it would be quite embarrassing. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Oldtime said:

Yep, let’s pound our chest, beating up on a school that is limited to kids from a limited school district

Top offensive and defensive players were both from Urbana.  I saw they got another hawk RB the year prior as well. Not the same as full blown recruiting, but the Urbana transfers recently have been beneficial to put it lightly as were the Watkins Mill transfers they got before Urbana imploded.

Damascus is a special little town, but long gone are the years where all of the stars came up through the cougar program.

Breese should be going against tougher competition and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves by his SR year. From what I understand he plays about a half a game (sometimes less) against very poor competition 8 games out of the season.. I saw the Walkersville game, those were two VERY good hs programs that obviously put a lot of time into their off season workouts, and Breese as a 16 (15?) year old still looked like a man among boys. I'm all about public ball and guys staying home, but in MD the biggest difference between public and private is on the line. He had the majority of his offers at the end of his freshman year at Urbana, so if he never transferred in the first place my opinion would be different, but at this point I don't see anything keeping him from moving on especially after accomplishing a state title.

If he is staying at Dmass a match up to look for is when they play Blake. A Linganore parent I know said Blake had a tackle who has D1 written all over him.

Edited by Diesel

14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Top offensive and defensive players were both from Urbana.  I saw they got another hawk RB the year prior as well. Not the same as full blown recruiting, but the Urbana transfers recently have been beneficial to put it lightly as were the Watkins Mill transfers they got before Urbana imploded.

Damascus is a special little town, but long gone are the years where all of the stars came up through the cougar program.

Breese should be going against tougher competition and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves by his SR year. From what I understand he plays about a half a game (sometimes less) against very poor competition 8 games out of the season.. I saw the Walkersville game, those were two VERY good hs programs that obviously put a lot of time into their off season workouts, and Breese as a 16 (15?) year old still looked like a man among boys. I'm all about public ball and guys staying home, but in MD the biggest difference between public and private is on the line. He had the majority of his offers at the end of his freshman year at Urbana, so if he never transferred in the first place my opinion would be different, but at this point I don't see anything keeping him from moving on especially after accomplishing a state title.

If he is staying at Dmass a match up to look for is when they play Blake. A Linganore parent I know said Blake had a tackle who has D1 written all over him.

You say he plays about a half or so in some games. So does alot of kids! From WCAC up to MIAA and back down 295 to DCIAA and everywhere in between. Their studs get a lead and get pulled against lesser talent so someone else can get some film. Dm vs ABC stats/film game. HD vs Cardozo, SFA vs BL, Wise vs Blad, Tech vs Phelps, Bullis vs STA etc are all stats/film games. Both coaches know it, the kids know it and the parents.That **** you talking happens in every league across the country. Bresse is set and the family would be really stupid to leave just to satisfy a handfull of fans that believe the bull**** thats being sold/told and talked about. The **** thats funny reading the private pundits bull****! They act as if every kid that plays at those freaking schools are all power 5 kids! Gtfoh with that bull**** because theyre not! When the **** counts Bresse gets great bump vs great talent against great coaching just like everybody else does. Hopefully he gets to the next level healthy so he can continue to chase his dreams and enjoy the fruits of his labor! All that other bs doesnt matter! Transfer for what! 

1 hour ago, Tomslick said:

You say he plays about a half or so in some games. So does alot of kids! From WCAC up to MIAA and back down 295 to DCIAA and everywhere in between. Their studs get a lead and get pulled against lesser talent so someone else can get some film. Dm vs ABC stats/film game. HD vs Cardozo, SFA vs BL, Wise vs Blad, Tech vs Phelps, Bullis vs STA etc are all stats/film games. Both coaches know it, the kids know it and the parents.That **** you talking happens in every league across the country. Bresse is set and the family would be really stupid to leave just to satisfy a handfull of fans that believe the bull**** thats being sold/told and talked about. The **** thats funny reading the private pundits bull****! They act as if every kid that plays at those freaking schools are all power 5 kids! Gtfoh with that bull**** because theyre not! When the **** counts Bresse gets great bump vs great talent against great coaching just like everybody else does. Hopefully he gets to the next level healthy so he can continue to chase his dreams and enjoy the fruits of his labor! All that other bs doesnt matter! Transfer for what! 

Do you think playing better competition helps a player’s development?  

46 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Do you think playing better competition helps a player’s development?  

Not much! Actually not much at all. Coaching and training are the main factors. Coaches will ask a kid who do you train with? Position and strength training! If they know those coaches/trainers they will call them and ask them about the kid on top of what the HS coach says.