Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

Is it time for SFA to become an independent?.........

315 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Tomslick said:
1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

Do you think playing better competition helps a player’s development?  

To be honest, the benefit at a place like SFA or DM is the talent you practice against more than the talent you play against, although that is a benefit as well.

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

Do you think playing better competition helps a player’s development?  

iron sharpens iron no if and or buts

42 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Bull****! Its a lot of kids at both schools whose careers are over after HS!

When coaches step onto both campuses they are there to see specific guys. It is very rare that they will like and offer a kid who is sitting on the bench over another kid at another school who is actually playing! 

56 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Not much! Actually not much at all. Coaching and training are the main factors. Coaches will ask a kid who do you train with? Position and strength training! If they know those coaches/trainers they will call them and ask them about the kid on top of what the HS coach says.  

So it really doesn’t matter what you do on the field? Just how you train?

Just now, Silverbullet said:

So it really doesn’t matter what you do on the field? Just how you train?

C'mon man you have to have film SB stop playing...:D That 3 star that kicking your *** doesnt get you better. The coaching points/training and applying both does. Even if you play against lesser talent there are coaching points you can use to improve your game.

When talking to folks about this topic this the example I use... "The Maryland Terps" Last season their roster was 25% MIAA/WCAC and they won 4 games. Yall think playing in those leagues matter. If it mattered they would be a top 25 program. The **** doesnt add up!

47 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

C'mon man you have to have film SB stop playing...:D That 3 star that kicking your *** doesnt get you better. The coaching points/training and applying both does. Even if you play against lesser talent there are coaching points you can use to improve your game.

When talking to folks about this topic this the example I use... "The Maryland Terps" Last season their roster was 25% MIAA/WCAC and they won 4 games. Yall think playing in those leagues matter. If it mattered they would be a top 25 program. The **** doesnt add up!

👀 Facts

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tomslick said:

Sorry, I just fundamentally believe competition brings out the best in people. Ragdolling 6’ 215lb OL’s for the majority of the season doesn’t really jump out as pushing yourself to be better. Like I said, it doesn’t hurt you, but it also doesn’t help. You’re just kind of hanging out, waiting for college to start. 

The UMD point is more about your grudge against them than anything else. They were on their 4th string QB last season and the best WCAC/MIAA players were freshman and sophomores(McFarland, Hill, Davis, Minor, etc...) That 4 win stuff isn’t happening again for a while. 

You still can’t gauge the WCAC/MIAA from that angle. Maybe if UMD was bringing in players like Chase Young and Eyabi Anoma then underperforming you’d have a point. They still can’t get the top recruits from the WCAC/MIAA. We’ll see where the next two cycles go. Shane Lee already picked Alabama. Jalon Jones committed to Florida. Do you think Nick Cross, DeMarcco Hellams or Keilan Robinson are heading to College Park? What about Marshawn Lloyd or Mekhail Sherman? 

Side question...Did Bullis run in the Penn Relays? I saw DM 4x100 as the only US team in the final. I figured Bullis would of made it. 

Edited by Silverbullet

2 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Sorry, I just fundamentally believe competition brings out the best in people. Ragdolling 6’ 215lb OL’s for the majority of the season doesn’t really jump out as pushing yourself to be better. Like I said, it doesn’t hurt you, but it also doesn’t help. You’re just kind of hanging out, waiting for college to start. 

The UMD point is more about your grudge against them than anything else. They were on their 4th string QB last season and the best WCAC/MIAA players were freshman and sophomores(McFarland, Hill, Davis, Minor, etc...) That 4 win stuff isn’t happening again for a while. 

You still can’t gauge the WCAC/MIAA from that angle. Maybe if UMD was bringing in players like Chase Young and Eyabi Anoma then underperforming you’d have a point. They still can’t get the top recruits from the WCAC/MIAA. We’ll see where the next two cycles go. Shane Lee already picked Alabama. Jalon Jones committed to Florida. Do you think Nick Cross, DeMarcco Hellams or Keilan Robinson are heading to College Park? What about Marshawn Lloyd or Mekhail Sherman? 

Side question...Did Bullis run in the Penn Relays? I saw DM 4x100 as the only US team in the final. I figured Bullis would of made it. 

I know the girls ran and came in second in COA, but only because they had to call an alternate out of the stands after somebody pulled a muscle. Not sure about the boys.

Its all competition though SB and how hard are you willing to work and get better from the training and coaching. 

You sound like Mike Anderson with the next two cycles mess. Lol! Maybe just maybe the WCAC/MIAA leagues are what we thought they were! Over-blown! Over-hyped and pumped up by a bunch of guys being sold a bunch of BS as if its the end all be all :D

Not sure if any of those guys will commit to UMD. Hearing Nick parents dont like football. My thoughts are an extremely high academic school is where he ends up. Hellams dad is a logo groupie so it wouldnt suprise me if he chooses a school based on that.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

I know the girls ran and came in second in COA, but only because they had to call an alternate out of the stands after somebody pulled a muscle. Not sure about the boys.

Its all competition though SB and how hard are you willing to work and get better from the training and coaching. 

You sound like Mike Anderson with the next two cycles mess. Lol! Maybe just maybe the WCAC/MIAA leagues are what we thought they were! Over-blown! Over-hyped and pumped up by a bunch of guys being sold a bunch of BS as if its the end all be all :D

Not sure if any of those guys will commit to UMD. Hearing Nick parents dont like football. My thoughts are an extremely high academic school is where he ends up. Hellams dad is a logo groupie so it wouldnt suprise me if he chooses a school based on that.

You mean they came in second amongst US teams! They came in last overall(9th) in the race. And they wouldn't have beaten the other US team, even with the normal sprinter. They were 2 seconds slower than the team from VA, who came in 4th, with a blazing time. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

You mean they came in second amongst US teams! They came in last overall(9th) in the race. And they wouldn't have beaten the other US team, even with the normal sprinter. They were 2 seconds slower than the team from VA, who came in 4th, with a blazing time. 

Youre right! My bad! I read something a couple days ago from the coach where they were in a pic with the Hydel team and showing off their watches. Ooops...

9th in the world in the 4x1 and 3rd in the world in 4x4 girls. Still good stuff! Western Branch has a good squad too.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Tomslick said:

How exactly are the top privates overrated? The last time I checked, they blow out any local non-MIAA/WCAC team they play. GC over NW by 38? DM over Franklin by 36 or Friendship by 34? Nobody in their right mind will schedule SFA. Gonzaga over Georgetown Prep by 40? These are complete beat downs. 

Playing better competition makes you better. That’s almost a scientific fact. You don’t get better throwing kids half your size around. You get better by playing the same talent you’ll see at the next level. I don’t care where you rank or how many offers you have, if you’re not used to going live against other top talent, you’re going to experience a longer learning curve in college. The DL transfer at Maryland, Cowart, was the #1 ranked player in the 2015 class. He was great in shorts and tee shirt and manhandled the competition in a weak district. He barely got on the field at Auburn, went JUCO and now is still trying to figure it out in College Park. It looks like he’s finally turning the corner, but he’s had a damn long grace period. Then you have players like Chase Young. He didn’t know how to play DE before he came to DM(his words). He played against power 5 OL’s from schools like Miami Central, American Heritage, GC, SJC, etc...his first season, got coached up and is about to explode at Ohio State this season. 

Edited by Silverbullet

53 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Youre right! My bad! I read something a couple days ago from the coach where they were in a pic with the Hydel team and showing off their watches. Ooops...

9th in the world in the 4x1 and 3rd in the world in 4x4 girls. Still good stuff! Western Branch has a good squad too.

Oh no doubt. Bullis has a legit track program!! 

26 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

How exactly are the top privates overrated? The last time I checked, they blow out any local non-MIAA/WCAC team they play. GC over NW by 38? DM over Franklin by 36 or Friendship by 34? Nobody in their right mind will schedule SFA. Gonzaga over Georgetown Prep by 40? These are complete beat downs. 

Playing better competition makes you better. That’s almost a scientific fact. You don’t get better throwing kids half your size around. You get better by playing the same talent you’ll see at the next level. I don’t care where you rank or how many offers you have, if you’re not used to going live against other top talent, you’re going to experience a longer learning curve in college. The DL transfer at Maryland, Cowart, was the #1 ranked player in the 2015 class. He was great in shorts and tee shirt and manhandled the competition in a weak district. He barely got on the field at Auburn, went JUCO and now is still trying to figure it out in College Park. It looks like he’s finally turning the corner, but he’s had a damn long grace period. Then you have players like Chase Young. He didn’t know how to play DE before he came to DM(his words). He played against power 5 OL’s from schools like Miami Central, American Heritage, GC, SJC, etc...his first season, got coached up and is about to explode at Ohio State this season. 

UMD just took a Ballou kid over a DM kid, facts! Not sure whats going on with the transfer from Auburn could be mental. College football is chess not checkers. Glad he found a home.

Also concerning Chase you just made my case for me. See bold print...

There is a video out of the former Miami staff discussing a kid and if they should offer him or not. The vote was 5-4 in favor of the offer. Only one guy (LB coach)wanted to see him play the top talent in the state. Whats funny is all the guys that they named in the video are all coaching at the collegiate level after being let go by the new staff...! Except who? Yep, the LB coach. Who is currently volunteering at a high school! And I quote: "The former University of Miami assistant football coach, who was last in charge of linebackers for the Hurricanes, has returned to his roots in Merritt Island, where he will volunteer as an assistant coach this season." ;) :D:P #JA

Players can come from anywhere, public or private, but is there any dispute that the MIAA A/WCAC have a much higher percentage of DI-level talent on their rosters than the average public school?  They don't have a stranglehold on all the talent, but they typically have more talent.

20 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Players can come from anywhere, public or private, but is there any dispute that the MIAA A/WCAC have a much higher percentage of DI-level talent on their rosters than the average public school?  They don't have a stranglehold on all the talent, but they typically have more talent.

There isn’t a debate. What you posted is a fact. People are free to their opinions though. 

20 hours ago, Tomslick said:

Bull****! Its a lot of kids at both schools whose careers are over after HS!

When coaches step onto both campuses they are there to see specific guys. It is very rare that they will like and offer a kid who is sitting on the bench over another kid at another school who is actually playing! 

Fact is SFA is not bringing in kids anymore who don't already have offers or will be getting offers very soon. What was it like 19 players that all received offers to Pitt in one day? And if they don't pan out fast they push them out and bring in the next bunch

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, gillytech said:

MIAA-A/WCAC vs average public school...?;) Dayum can we at least compare them to FCA, Wise, HD, Potomac and the a few others? Hell wasnt a Wise and a FCA kid just drafted this weekend? I believe another FCA kid offered/signed a UDFA contract on Sunday. Yeah they have more talent but they typically have larger rosters and programs to include freshman teams. But lets take a quick peep into schools like DM/GZ. Both are all boys and have about 200 kids in both programs, anywhere from 40-60 seniors. How many sign on signing day between the two schools to play D1 football? See my point I dont like those odds champ! And please dont give me the BS about some kids dont want to play football in college. They all do, many have come to the conclusion that its over in HS.

Question: What private school had the largest signing day class? And I dont care what school they signed too...Asking for a friend:D

Edited by Tomslick

1 minute ago, jbmad said:

Fact is SFA is not bringing in kids anymore who don't already have offers or will be getting offers very soon. What was it like 19 players that all received offers to Pitt in one day? And if they don't pan out fast they push them out and bring in the next bunch

Every private has done it. No big deal to me! Facts are that some coaches push out offers to kids to get other kids signed, present and future! Just had a convo the other day about a kid who was allowed to commit after other schools said no. The school that he committed to knows the HS team will have some guys in the near future and he can say remember I took _______ kid! 

26 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Every private has done it. No big deal to me! Facts are that some coaches push out offers to kids to get other kids signed, present and future! Just had a convo the other day about a kid who was allowed to commit after other schools said no. The school that he committed to knows the HS team will have some guys in the near future and he can say remember I took _______ kid! 

Was just saying that even kids not playing as much as starters are getting offers and competing everyday in practice, so yes the competition at schools like this are better even at practice

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Tomslick said:

MIAA-A/WCAC vs average public school...?;) Dayum can we at least compare them to FCA, Wise, HD, Potomac and the a few others? Hell wasnt a Wise and a FCA kid just drafted this weekend? I believe another FCA kid offered/signed a UDFA contract on Sunday. Yeah they have more talent but they typically have larger rosters and programs to include freshman teams. But lets take a quick peep into schools like DM/GZ. Both are all boys and have about 200 kids in both programs, anywhere from 40-60 seniors. How many sign on signing day between the two schools to play D1 football? See my point I dont like those odds champ! And please dont give me the BS about some kids dont want to play football in college. They all do, many have come to the conclusion that its over in HS.

Question: What private school had the largest signing day class? And I dont care what school they signed too...Asking for a friend:D

You’re now way off topic because of your feelings. We’re not debating why the top privates are better football teams. Everyone understands that situation. Program numbers, recruiting, funding, league rules, etc...all play a role. What we are talking about is the advantages that top private schools offer top recruits that the public system does not. You can’t really wiggle around that one. Let’s say Bresee goes to his closest private, Good Counsel. He’s going to play against 6 D1 OT’s in the regular season. He’s also going to line up against a 5-star OT in practice every week with Tengwall. His first game he would match up against one of the best OT’s in the country from Marietta GA who is committed to Ohio State. Is he seeing that competition with DMass? No. 

Staying at DMass won’t exactly hurt him either. He’s got his offers and will be able to commit to any school he wants. I think, as MD football fans, we would like to see everyone succeed at the next level. Some think it’s beneficial to take advantage of what the top private schools offer and some would like the top kids to stay at the home public school to help the local team out. It’s all about personal opinion, so nobody is 100% wrong or right. 

Now if you want to get into a right or wrong debate, you saying that the top privates are overrated is factually wrong. They don’t lose to anyone around here not in the MIAA/WCAC. In fact, it’s usually a running clock(GCvsNW, DMvsFCA,DMvsFranklin, GZvsGP,etc)...No area team will play SFA and SJC who were the best two teams in the area respectively. 

Edited by Silverbullet

Gonna have to declare SB's last post as a "Mic drop" as he really summed it all up as well as one can do. well done SB!

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

You’re now way off topic because of your feelings. We’re not debating why the top privates are better football teams. Everyone understands that situation. Program numbers, recruiting, funding, league rules, etc...all play a role. What we are talking about is the advantages that top private schools offer top recruits that the public system does not. You can’t really wiggle around that one. Let’s say Bresee goes to his closest private, Good Counsel. He’s going to play against 6 D1 OT’s in the regular season. He’s also going to line up against a 5-star OT in practice every week with Tengwall. His first game he would match up against one of the best OT’s in the country from Marietta GA who is committed to Ohio State. Is he seeing that competition with DMass? No. 

Staying at DMass won’t exactly hurt him either. He’s got his offers and will be able to commit to any school he wants. I think, as MD football fans, we would like to see everyone succeed at the next level. Some think it’s beneficial to take advantage of what the top private schools offer and some would like the top kids to stay at the home public school to help the local team out. It’s all about personal opinion, so nobody is 100% wrong or right. 

Now if you want to get into a right or wrong debate, you saying that the top privates are overrated is factually wrong. They don’t lose to anyone around here not in the MIAA/WCAC. In fact, it’s usually a running clock(GCvsNW, DMvsFCA,DMvsFranklin, GZvsGP,etc)...No area team will play SFA and SJC who were the best two teams in the area respectively. 

Ballou kid vs DM kid both have UMD offers

DM kid has Gorman, fca, wcac resume to include wcac ships etc.

Ballou kid has FCA, HD. Woodson, DCIAA resume, state champ, turkey bowl champ

Both tried to commit to UMD only one was allowed too and it wasnt the DM kid. What youre saying doesnt equate to reality or mean anything when it comes to recruiting and being successful at the next level.

Not who you play but how you play!

Edited by Tomslick

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Bresee practiced every day against 2 D1, WAPO allmets in Jurgens and Funk last year. This year he’ll be challenged everyday in practice by All American wrestler Baisden. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DHS_Hornets/status/978997976541679616

Edited by Oldtime

12 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Bresee practiced every day against 2 D1, WAPO allmets in Jurgens and Funk last year. 

Naw its impossible that a public school has more than one D1 kid on the roster... No way? :D

2 hours ago, Oldtime said:

Bresee practiced every day against 2 D1, WAPO allmets in Jurgens and Funk last year. This year he’ll be challenged everyday in practice by All American wrestler Baisden. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DHS_Hornets/status/978997976541679616

I know. My point still stands. The top privates have and play more talent. The reasons why that is don’t matter. Some people think it helps. Some don’t think it means much. It’s just a matter of opinion. Neither is wrong.