Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

25 ways to make Baltimore better

60 posts in this topic

Nothing will make Baltimore better until enough of the men and women there breed responsibly and then become responsible parents for the kids they create and in turn, instill some values in them by raising them to be responsible people.

Do that, and most of the problems with the schools, drugs, and crime will resolve themselves over time.

That just ain't gonna happen.  Instead, the approach will be to export the problem beyond the city line into Baltimore County which is already starting to see the effects of those policies and the problems that come with them.

For example, the problems with Baltimore's schools aren't caused by inadequate funding.  Schools matter to most people when deciding where to live and raise a family.  Starting a family is easy.  Raising a family or the lack thereof is the problem that will continue to keep Baltimore the way it is.

Anyone who's paid attention to the legislative session that just ended have proof that Baltimore's elected Democrats do not want any kind of strict minimum sentencing, let alone maximum sentencing.  Look at what happened this session and who fought against those things.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Anyone who's paid attention to the legislative session that just ended have proof that Baltimore's elected Democrats do not want any kind of strict minimum sentencing, let alone maximum sentencing.  Look at what happened this session and who fought against those things.

I have been putting off digging around to discover what happened with 'criminal bills' I had hoped that the Sun would put out something on it.

You said 'look at what happened'...doesn't sound promising.

Ode....maybe you can help me....I have been messing around with the GA page.....is there a page that says.....HERE ARE ALL THE BILLS THAT PASSED AND VOTING RECORDS.

Seems that should be very easy to find.... I can't. Or maybe Google link? I am beginning to think I have vapor lock after spending so much time trying to follow these bills. 

Thanks

Edited by Guido2

38 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I have been putting off digging around to discover what happened with 'criminal bills' I had hoped that the Sun would put out something on it.

Ode....maybe you can help me....I have been messing around with the GA page.....is there a page that says.....HERE ARE ALL THE BILLS THAT PASSED AND VOTING RECORDS.

Seems that should be very easy to find.... I can't. Or maybe Google link? I am beginning to think I have vapor lock after spending so much time trying to follow these bills. 

Thanks

You could start here

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmLegislation.aspx?pid=legisnpage

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Mandatory sentencing with no parole, or early release for good time. 

Well after much digging.....it seems....that a bill close to that did pass.

But I am not sure.....this link seems to indicate that hb1029 was passed....but by just the house? I am still trying to figure out the thought process of these pages.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=HB1029&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2018RS

Prohibiting a person from wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun loaded with ammunition on or about the person or in a vehicle under certain circumstances; prohibiting a court from suspending any part of certain sentences for persons who have previously been convicted of certain offenses; clarifying that certain sentences are mandatory minimum sentences; providing that a certain mandatory minimum sentence may not be imposed unless the State's Attorney notifies the defendant at least 30 days before the trial of the State's intentions; etc.

But this only pertains to handguns....not other crimes.....PLUS.....I like the loophole at the end.

So am I reading this right?

By the way I plowed through over 150 crime/penalty related bills ....most any related to 'truth in sentencing' never got out of committee or were rejected before hitting the flow.

As a whole it is safe to say...that the GA pandered to the bad guys in the city.....and didn't give a hoot about the general populace. Which is to me ironic....since the GA reps from the city first introduced 'truth/mandatory' bill(s)

Seems we have been given lip service again. 

But please anyone correct me if I missed something going through the list of bills......easy to get cross eyed doing it. 

12 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

I see you're paying attention. Kudos to you! 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:13 AM, Ode2Joy said:

It is not just the elected Officials who don't want minimum sentencing, the Courts are not too keen on it either.

One example is the charge of "Possession (of drugs) with intent to distribute near a school zone." A second conviction on this charge will activate a mandatory minimum sentence, YET the Assistant State's Attorney in the City will not let that charge go forward even for a first conviction.

There are other examples, but the point is that none of the City's legal team wants to do anything that would invoke a minimum sentence.

38 minutes ago, Lawman 27 said:

It is not just the elected Officials who don't want minimum sentencing, the Courts are not too keen on it either.

One example is the charge of "Possession (of drugs) with intent to distribute near a school zone." A second conviction on this charge will activate a mandatory minimum sentence, YET the Assistant State's Attorney in the City will not let that charge go forward even for a first conviction.

There are other examples, but the point is that none of the City's legal team wants to do anything that would invoke a minimum sentence.

Possession is a dumb charge for a minimum anyway. Mandatory minimums should be for armed robbery, rape, and murder. Violent crimes. One of the reasons our jails are bursting at capacity now is because people charged with possession are locked up, while murderers are walking around after doing three years on a 15. Bad example.

12 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Possession is a dumb charge for a minimum anyway. Mandatory minimums should be for armed robbery, rape, and murder. Violent crimes. One of the reasons our jails are bursting at capacity now is because people charged with possession are locked up, while murderers are walking around after doing three years on a 15. Bad example.

I agree possession is a wasted arrest and stupid law. "Intent to distribute" would depend on weight and type of drug to me. Let me restate my position that all drugs should be decriminalized. That said, with current drug laws, those arrested for coke, crank and heroin found in possession of weight, tend to be violent.

4 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I agree possession is a wasted arrest and stupid law. "Intent to distribute" would depend on weight and type of drug to me. Let me restate my position that all drugs should be decriminalized. That said, with current drug laws, those arrested for coke, crank and heroin found in possession of weight, tend to be violent.

I don't disagree, but without research I would guess that's the minority of those in prison for possession.

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I don't disagree, but without research I would guess that's the minority of those in prison for possession.

No need. You're right about that. Imagine how much room there would be if incarcerated people there for drugs were freed? I know you are of that mindset as am I. It's all about the politics though.........unfortunately.

Posted (edited)

On 4/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, Guido2 said:

Thanks

Here are links to all the House and Senate bills and their status as of Today 4/15. You have to scroll through the lists but each bill has a number and a title which is fairly descriptive.

If a bill has Chapter and a # it has been signed by the Governor. If it has Returned Passed/Passed Enrolled it has cleared both chambers and is waiting for the Governor to sign, veto, or let stand and be enacted by his non-action. If it has a hearing date only it was not even voted on in committee, if it has Unfavorable Report that means it was voted down in committee.

So if you are looking to see what passed look for a Chapter number, or Returned Passed or Passed Enrolled. If you want more detail click on the History or Documents link. The Text for the Third Reader of a passed bill, in its Chamber of origin, is what the final language looks like.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/pubs-current/current-senate-status-report.pdf

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/pubs-current/current-house-status-report.pdf

There were 1269 Senate bills and 1832 House Bills, not counting Joint Bills. I forgot to add that if a bill was introduced late it will have a First Reading Senate Rules and date or First Reading House Rules and Executive Nominations and a date. Either of those may also be Unfavorable.

As I have said before dealing with the General Assembly and its processes can be convoluted.

Voting records are in the Documents Section of each bill.

Edited by Woodbuchr

On 4/13/2018 at 0:13 PM, Guido2 said:

Well after much digging.....it seems....that a bill close to that did pass.

But I am not sure.....this link seems to indicate that hb1029 was passed....but by just the house? I am still trying to figure out the thought process of these pages.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=HB1029&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2018RS

Prohibiting a person from wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun loaded with ammunition on or about the person or in a vehicle under certain circumstances; prohibiting a court from suspending any part of certain sentences for persons who have previously been convicted of certain offenses; clarifying that certain sentences are mandatory minimum sentences; providing that a certain mandatory minimum sentence may not be imposed unless the State's Attorney notifies the defendant at least 30 days before the trial of the State's intentions; etc.

But this only pertains to handguns....not other crimes.....PLUS.....I like the loophole at the end.

So am I reading this right?

By the way I plowed through over 150 crime/penalty related bills ....most any related to 'truth in sentencing' never got out of committee or were rejected before hitting the flow.

As a whole it is safe to say...that the GA pandered to the bad guys in the city.....and didn't give a hoot about the general populace. Which is to me ironic....since the GA reps from the city first introduced 'truth/mandatory' bill(s)

Seems we have been given lip service again. 

But please anyone correct me if I missed something going through the list of bills......easy to get cross eyed doing it. 

HB 1029 was passed by both chambers and is waiting for the Governor's action. Here is a link to the final language of the bill. If it looks different than the one you looked at you may have been looking at the First Reader instead of the Third Reader. The bill was amended in the House Judiciary Committee so the fimal language will look different than it did when it was introduced.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/bills/hb/hb1029t.pdf

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

15 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I read these type of statements all the time. These are likely repeat offenders and the possession was the final straw. I can't believe you would do prison time for simple possession as a 1st or 2nd offense.

Edited by stevez51

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I read these type of statements all the time. These are likely repeat offenders and the possession was the final straw. I can't believe you would do prison time for simple possession as a 1st or 2nd offense.

Intent to distribute is a big jump from simple possession, time wise. Back to the topic of the OP, I read the list of “ 25 Things to make Baltimore better “.  Most of the things on the list we’re simple Christian or family values taught when my generation were kids. I mean  “ treat others the way you want to be treated “? Seriously? When the golden rule has been so long forgotten, that it shows up as a new idea on how to make things better list, we have fallen way down a rabbit hole. 

Edited by mrdeltoid

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, Pickle20 said:

maximum sentencing!!!

1)  Build more prison space!

2) Time Sentanced=Time Served.

3) Eliminate welfare-replace it with Workfare

4) Have the Feds take over the policing, court system, and city government.

What is the issue with truth in sentencing laws? I am not sure what the public fervor is for them The judge sentences them, and everyone in the state then becomes eligible for parole or not. If eligible it is at 1/2 th time for violent crimes and at 1/4 the sentence for nonviolent crimes. 

What do people mean when the say they want truth in sentencing laws? Do they mean they want longer sentences? No parole sentences?

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Trust me. It happens. It especially became prevalent in the 90’s crack era. When getting tough on drugs was every politician’s re-election speech 

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

What is the issue with truth in sentencing laws? I am not sure what the public fervor is for them The judge sentences them, and everyone in the state then becomes eligible for parole or not. If eligible it is at 1/2 th time for violent crimes and at 1/4 the sentence for nonviolent crimes. 

What do people mean when the say they want truth in sentencing laws? Do they mean they want longer sentences? No parole sentences?

Truth in sentencing means if you’re sentenced to twenty years, you actually do twenty years. Not five years and out on probation. 

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Truth in sentencing means if you’re sentenced to twenty years, you actually do twenty years. Not five years and out on probation. 

So what you are saying is that you do not want the prison system to have parole any longer, or allow for any leniency for good or positive behavior.

It seems that that would be a recipe for a disastrous situation in the state's prisons. 

15 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Trust me. It happens. It especially became prevalent in the 90’s crack era. When getting tough on drugs was every politician’s re-election speech 

You saying those people are still in jail .??

4 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

So what you are saying is that you do not want the prison system to have parole any longer, or allow for any leniency for good or positive behavior.

It seems that that would be a recipe for a disastrous situation in the state's prisons. 

You get sentenced to 20 yrs its for something serious. If you are a habitual offender, getting in and out of prison means you get 20, you should stay there.