Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Cowboys release WR Dez Bryant

28 posts in this topic

Kick the tires. I don't know if we can make his contract work with our cap situation but it wouldn't hurt to gauge his interest.

Ravens may have interest, but I think Ridley is going to fall to them.

2 hours ago, alienrace said:

Ravens may have interest, but I think Ridley is going to fall to them.

I do think Ridley will fall to them but I think the Ravens are drafting a quarterback first round. If they don't draft a quarterback first round I think they will go defense simply because of what happened last year. The value of a defensive player at pick 16  will just be too great to pass up.

1 hour ago, RavingManiac said:

I do think Ridley will fall to them but I think the Ravens are drafting a quarterback first round. If they don't draft a quarterback first round I think they will go defense simply because of what happened last year. The value of a defensive player at pick 16  will just be too great to pass up.

No way they draft a qb 1st round .....

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

I think they do. Flacco is way overpaid in my opinion. I read he is dead last in just about every passing category since 2012. Is the team willing to keep giving him top 3 or so quarterback money when he is playing so poorly? (Maybe it's top 5 or around there so don't quote me). I don't think they want to keep paying him that type of money. I think they cancel his contract after next season and maybe try to get him for millions less. If Flacco walks, the Ravens are without a quarterback. I expect the Ravens to pick in the 20's next year so this would be their best chance to score a quarterback in the first round. We will see though. Maybe they draft a linebacker or a safety and pick a quarterback in round 2. If I am wrong about round one, I think they have to pick one in round 2.

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

NO F ING WAY THEY DRAFT A QB IN ROUND ONE.

I don't see the Ravens taking a QB in the first round either.  They have too many other needs.  If they were going to do that, they either would have extended Harbuagh and made him part of the future, or canned him and brought in a new staff.  I don't think you signal to a guy that this year is his "hot seat" year and then use your top pick on someone who won't likely be in a position to contribute this year.  If the Ravens take a QB it's probably in the later rounds.  I think the FO believes if they shore up the line and give Flacco a little more time and some receivers that can actually catch, he can return to being a decent QB.  I think they ideally would like to get a stud O-lineman.  If not, a high powered pass rusher would look good.  I do think Ridley will fall to them and Ozzie's obsession with Alabama players makes him a distinct possibility, but I think they would be better off with a trenches guy.  As much as I've said they need a play maker, I'm just really not sold on Calvin Ridley.  I don't think he will be a bust, but I don't think it's a lock that he will be the kind of superstar receiver to justify a first round pick.  Personally I think the Ravens will be back in about the same draft position next year and that might be the time to make a decision on Flacco.  I haven't seen anything so far in this off season that leads me to believe they are going to be significantly better with a tougher schedule and several teams that appear to be on the rise in the AFC.  Next year they might be in a position to trade up and get their QB of the future if they are done with Flacco.  

6 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

5 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I've been against drafting a qb in the 1st round in favor of Ridley or Moore, but if Lamar Jackson is at 16 and those two are gone, I'm ok with that. 

Jackson is interesting to me.  The completion percentage is bothersome, but he threw a lot of low percentage passes.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

NO F ING WAY THEY DRAFT A QB IN ROUND ONE.

I don't think so, either. Not with this likely being a "put up or shut up" year for the coaching staff. As another poster pointed out, taking a quarterback in the first round is essentially running up the white flag for the season because he's not going to make an immediate impact.

Edited by mdrunning

10 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Kick the tires. I don't know if we can make his contract work with our cap situation but it wouldn't hurt to gauge his interest.

They're going to first have to see what Bryant's market value is. Thing is, since the Ravens have about $1.25 under the cap right now, they probably couldn't sign him to a one-year deal. They'd need to do several years in order to spread out the cap burden, and I don't think it's a good idea to commit multiple years to a guy who is likely hitting the downside of his career.

Rumor mill has the Ravens squarely at the top of a very small market for Bryant.  A lot will depend on what other teams show interest.  Bryant has some definite feelings about who he wants to play for but he may not be able to be picky.   It fits what the Ravens tend to do in the WR market.  He has been declining in recent years and tends to be a malcontent when he doesn't get the ball thrown his way.  I would pass, but the Ravens are desperate for a play maker so they may be tempted if they can make the money work.

Here's a report that makes total sense. When we published our list of landing spots for Bryant, we ranked the Ravens second out of 14 teams because their need for playmakers sticks out above most other teams. A year ago, their leading pass catchers were Mike Wallace (now in Philadelphia) and Benjamin Watson (now in New Orleans). Though they did sign Michael Crabtree and John Brown in free agency, they shouldn't stop there. For as much crap as we like to give Joe Flacco, the team's complete lack of playmakers has played just as substantial of a role in their recent stretch of mediocrity.  

As Zrebiec noted in his story, it's unclear if Bryant is interested in the Ravens. He already said that he prefers an NFC East team and if he can't stay within the division, his next best opportunity would be to play for a Super Bowl contender, which the Ravens aren't, and with a superstar quarterback, which Flacco isn't. But Bryant might not be able to be picky. He's entering free agency at the worst possible time, in terms of both his career and the NFL calendar with the juicy part of free agency -- when teams overpaid for receivers -- long gone.

The Ravens do have a recent history of taking on older, past-their-prime receivers -- from Steve Smith to Jeremy Maclin to Mike Wallace to Michael Crabtree. It remains to be seen if Bryant will be next. It's one thing to be interested. It's an entirely other thing to put millions of dollars on the table.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/playmaker-needy-ravens-reportedly-interested-in-signing-cowboys-castoff-dez-bryant/

IMO Bryant doesn't bring anything that Crabtree doesn't so why bother. If this was four years ago, absolutely. It just looks like a waste of money to me.

Well one thing for sure, Joe wouldn't have any excuses with Crabtree and Bryant to throw to....

20 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Well one thing for sure, Joe wouldn't have any excuses with Crabtree and Bryant to throw to....

Nearly my exact thought.

20 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

11 minutes ago, Struds said:

Nearly my exact thought.

Personally, I don't think he had an excuse last season. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Personally, I don't think he had an excuse last season. 

I agree...

I was told Dez has visited the training complex twice.

17 hours ago, Struds said:

Nearly my exact thought.

The excuses will be the offensive coordinator and the offensive line. For most people on this board, Flacco has never had a bad season. It's been the offensive coordinators that have been bad.

Posted (edited)

On 4/16/2018 at 9:57 PM, Eastside Terp said:

Have you watched any game film on Bryant the past few years? He was a great receiver at one time but he has lost more than a step or two, and as others pointed out the Ravens already have a player with similar traits - Crabtree. He doesn't add much value to the team unless they could get him really cheap (not likely). I say pass on him and draft somebody and/or pick up someone after the preseason cuts. IMO TE and OL are more of a need.

Edited by NCBirdfan

The Ravens are seemingly linked to just about every receiver who becomes available because they're usually in dire need of them.

Bryant seems interested in getting paid and staying in the NFC East so he can play the Cowboys twice per season. I haven't heard anything regarding his making a visit here or any other indication of interest in the Ravens. 

I saw where the Giants released Brandon Marshall, so Dez may get his wish.

Reports are that Bryant turned down a multi-year contract from the Ravens worth about as much as they gave Crabtree.  

6 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Reports are that Bryant turned down a multi-year contract from the Ravens worth about as much as they gave Crabtree.  

The story is he wants a one year deal so he can work a more lucrative deal next season. Good luck Dez, you’ll be a year older.