Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

The "Why Can't Tillman Pitch the 1st Inning" Game Thread

91 posts in this topic

Tillman Day is a weekly holiday in the Slidemaster household!  He should be given the whole year to get himself right.  He's earned It.  I look forward to him contributing to the lasting success of this franchise.

Mike Wright in.  Woohooo!!!   Daily double for Buckerooo!!!

A lot of pitchers have this problem with the first inning. Tillman's problem is he isn't much better in the other innings either.

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Well,

My prediction that Tilly would bounce back and win 14 is looking more ludicrous every start... but there's still time!!!!

Time for what?

;)

3 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Time for what?

;)

For him to win 14 games!!!!!!

Obviously, I have no idea what Buck and the rest of the Oriole brain trust (is there such a thing???) are thinking but I know what i have seen in the three starts this year as well as the disaster that was Tillman's 2017 season.  He is done.  No need to keep trotting him out there in hopes of him finding 'something'.  No hard feelings towards Chris but it is painfully obvious that he can no longer get MLB hitters out.  With Cobb coming aboard the top 4 SPs are better than we've had in a while - use the 5th spot to work in some of the young guys.  Next question is what to do with Davis....

52 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

For him to win 14 games!!!!!!

Wanna bet?

;)

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Wanna bet?

;)

Print the playoff tickets!

Even though he signed a major league deal, Tillman could still be optioned if it came to that. He'd have to pass through waivers first, but who in their right mind is going to claim him?

Tillman just can't pitch any more. It's not that he's missing, he's missing badly (competitive pitches, I believe the term is now). Mike Wright gives this team a better chance to win right now as the fifth starter, and that's not saying a whole heckuva lot.

1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

Well...if you print them in your basement, like funny money, I'm sure some sucker out there will buy them. (Sadly, the O's were the suckers who bought a real money pit in Tillman.)

The amazing thing to me is the ungodly amount of pitches he throws.  Considering the slop he's bringing to the plate, you'd think he'd be able to paint the corners or do whatever else he needs to do.  He was on pace last night to throw over a 100 pitches in 4 innings.  And another productive game from Mr. Davis, who's making the Mendoza Line look unreachable. 

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

We have

Dreaming of the past? Your O's got their backsides kicked! 

Edited by flyboy56

11 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

Tillman Day is a weekly holiday in the Slidemaster household!  He should be given the whole year to get himself right.  He's earned It.  I look forward to him contributing to the lasting success of this franchise.

LOL, this is gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

9 hours ago, Stoneman said:

Obviously, I have no idea what Buck and the rest of the Oriole brain trust (is there such a thing???) are thinking but I know what i have seen in the three starts this year as well as the disaster that was Tillman's 2017 season.  He is done.  No need to keep trotting him out there in hopes of him finding 'something'.  No hard feelings towards Chris but it is painfully obvious that he can no longer get MLB hitters out.  With Cobb coming aboard the top 4 SPs are better than we've had in a while - use the 5th spot to work in some of the young guys.  Next question is what to do with Davis....

Read an article today that said the O's are not cutting Tillman.Buck is going to do everything he can to give Tilly a chance to live up to Joy's 14 win prediction.

And just so that we're all aware of the odds, Tillman's last win came in May of 2017. He's started 27 games since that last win. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it. 

The collective opinion was that Tillman should be given a month (4 starts) to show that he's back. His next outing is #4. He'll probably pitch poorly, but not his usual awful. And that will be all Buck needs to buy his guy another month as a starter.

I don't think it's premature to say that Buck isn't trying to compete this season. Presumably, it's his final year as O's manager, and I think this year was all about keeping the band together for one more tour. In all sincerity, I am absolutely stunned that he didn't bring back UJ. Just in case anyone thinks I'm being snarky, or joking, I am not. Every time I open Twitter, I expect to see Brit tweet that UJ is coming back.  

He set the record for consecutive starts without a win at 21. 

Sounds like he definitely deserves  another start to prove he still has it. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Sounds like he definitely deserves  another start to prove he still has it. :lol:

Buck's level of stubbornness on this one even surprises.  Anyone who watched last night who has an ounce of baseball knowledge can see Tillman is no longer a MLB pitcher. Buck has officially jumped the shark.  He is ruining another season.  Just like last year.  

5 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Buck loves him some Chrises, Davis and Tillman will be his legacy in Baltimore. And that's sad, because Buck did have a positive impact on this franchise, at one time. But those days are starting to get pretty far off in the distance. 

23 minutes ago, weird-O said:

The collective opinion was that Tillman should be given a month (4 starts) to show that he's back. His next outing is #4. He'll probably pitch poorly, but not his usual awful. And that will be all Buck needs to buy his guy another month as a starter.

I don't think it's premature to say that Buck isn't trying to compete this season. Presumably, it's his final year as O's manager, and I think this year was all about keeping the band together for one more tour. In all sincerity, I am absolutely stunned that he didn't bring back UJ. Just in case anyone thinks I'm being snarky, or joking, I am not. Every time I open Twitter, I expect to see Brit tweet that UJ is coming back.  

This is exactly what will happen.  Buck will make every excuse and glean every shred of progress to justify Tillys existence.  This has really become a sad joke that has run for a year now.  I'm with Slide.  I hate to root against the O's. but if losing 90-100 games this year gets Buck out to pasture, I'm all for it.

6 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

This is exactly what will happen.  Buck will make every excuse and glean every shred of progress to justify Tillys existence.  This has really become a sad joke that has run for a year now.  I'm with Slide.  I hate to root against the O's. but if losing 90-100 games this year gets Buck out to pasture, I'm all for it.

I don't think you need to feel bad for understanding the positives that could come from a 90+ loss season.  

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

I don't think you need to feel bad for understanding the positives that could come from a 90+ loss season.  

Yeah, and in reality, this is a .500 team at best.  And with Buck force feeding "his guys" down everybody's throat, it could be a 90 loss team.  Buck used to be able to squeeze 87 or 88 wins out of a team like this.  Now he is costing the team 8 to 10 wins a year with his nutty, obsessive, "my guys" approach.  He has so worn out his rep as a good manager because he can't be objective on his talent evaluations.

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Read an article today that said the O's are not cutting Tillman.Buck is going to do everything he can to give Tilly a chance to live up to Joy's 14 win prediction.

And just so that we're all aware of the odds, Tillman's last win came in May of 2017. He's started 27 games since that last win. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it. 

So its official.  Buck has given up on trying to win in place of loyalty to one of his guys.  This is really disgusting.  I mean the proof is in the pudding.  Zero wins in 21 starts. I wish AJ would say something.  Call out Buck and Tilly.  Sorry, something has to be done.  Buck sinking another season.  Called it.

11 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Even though he signed a major league deal, Tillman could still be optioned if it came to that. He'd have to pass through waivers first, but who in their right mind is going to claim him?

Tillman just can't pitch any more. It's not that he's missing, he's missing badly (competitive pitches, I believe the term is now). Mike Wright gives this team a better chance to win right now as the fifth starter, and that's not saying a whole heckuva lot.

This is exactly what needs done.  DFA him and then outright him to AAA.  If he doesn't want to do this , so long, don't let the door hit you in the rear end.  No one and I mean no one else is going to take this guy on.  From what I'm seeing, he won't do much better in AAA.