johnpolitics

Trump tweets MISSION ACCOMPLISHED in Syria

166 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2018 at 0:48 PM, VOSA said:

I don't know what you meant.

I do know what you said.

OK... I'll try to remember that and be more literal when I talk with you... 

On 4/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, VOSA said:

In WWII the country had the will to win.

In Vietnam it did not.

Win what?  Unifying Vietnam under whatever corrupt dictatorship the US was supporting in the South?

On 4/21/2018 at 5:13 PM, flyboy56 said:

Sure, dropped on a dirt path. If they were dropped on Hanoi the war would have been over before it even got started.

Yeah that's it.  :rolleyes:

Since only 1-2 million Vietnamese were killed in the war, I guess if that was bumped to 10-20 million you guys could wave your flags with pride.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Win what?  Unifying Vietnam under whatever corrupt dictatorship the US was supporting in the South?

Since only 1-2 million Vietnamese were killed in the war, I guess if that was bumped to 10-20 million you guys could wave your flags with pride.

Such losses would have been up to Ho Chi Minh. 

5 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Such losses would have been up to Ho Chi Minh. 

You probably think the US were the good guys in Vietnam.  :rolleyes:

Just now, ivanbalt said:

You probably think the US were the good guys in Vietnam.  :rolleyes:

No, even the French told us to stay out. But if a president decides to take the US to war they should be willing to use the best strategy to quickly finish the war. And the best strategy would have been to bomb Hanoi and not a dirt trail. 

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

FYI the U.S. was not fighting in Vietnam to unify the country.

Read a little history once in  awhile.

35 minutes ago, VOSA said:

FYI the U.S. was not fighting in Vietnam to unify the country.

Read a little history once in  awhile.

I'm aware of that.  I was speculating as to what "winning" the Vietnam War meant since you've yet to define that.  Stopping the "dominoes"?

3 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

No, even the French told us to stay out. But if a president decides to take the US to war they should be willing to use the best strategy to quickly finish the war. And the best strategy would have been to bomb Hanoi and not a dirt trail. 

And that's the problem with fighting unnecessary wars where the US isn't actually threatened.  Tough to justify widespread killing of civilians in front of the world.

3 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

And that's the problem with fighting unnecessary wars where the US isn't actually threatened.  Tough to justify widespread killing of civilians in front of the world.

Since it was Johnson who justified the war in Vietnam he should have at least used a strategy that would have won the war. 

On 4/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, ivanbalt said:

I'm aware of that.  I was speculating as to what "winning" the Vietnam War meant since you've yet to define that.  Stopping the "dominoes"?

Our objective in Vietnam was to stop North Vietnam from taking over South Vietnam.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:27 AM, ivanbalt said:

Depends on how you define a threat to the U.S.

35 minutes ago, VOSA said:

Not Syria

26 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Not Syria

Getting out of the Middle East was the one promise I was looking forward to under a Trump administration. Guess it's another promise down the crapper..

On 4/23/2018 at 8:32 AM, flyboy56 said:

Since it was Johnson who justified the war in Vietnam he should have at least used a strategy that would have won the war. 

We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than all of WWII. Rolling Thunder went on for 3 years under LBJ.  They went underground. You can't fight that determination. Imagine the occupation if nothing else. And we think Iraq was a pain. The 2 major lessons of Vietnam were to stay away from nation building and not to become involved in another country's civil war.  

Edited by zenwalk

1 hour ago, VOSA said:

During the Cold War it varied greatly.  Countries where the people didn't want to be exploited by American companies were regularly morphed into "threats".

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

During the Cold War it varied greatly.  Countries where the people didn't want to be exploited by American companies were regularly morphed into "threats".

Today it's the countries that don't sell us oil or buy weapons from us...