Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Balmerboh

Sooooo, Alex Cobb is not good either, huh. Welp.

23 posts in this topic

I mean if you couldn’t see that Ramirez HR coming...

Moves the date of the firesale up a bit, I would think.

The O's are setting themselves up for future success with every passing day!  YESS!  Keep it up boys!

Dave Johnson said this week he didn' think Cobb was ready to come up yet. Would of given him another week or 2.  Oriole mgt are such idiots. Just one boner after another. This team, manager,  fo, and ownership DOA!

5 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Dave Johnson said this week he didn' think Cobb was ready to come up yet. Would of given him another week or 2.  Oriole mgt are such idiots. Just one boner after another. This team, manager,  fo, and ownership DOA!

ST stats are relatively meaningless, but the process is important.

Don’t worry. Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson and Eric Dubose and Kurt Ainsworth and Matt Riley are waiting in the wings.

12 hours ago, Struds said:

ST stats are relatively meaningless, but the process is important.

Palmer said yesterday Cobb would be about halfway thru spring training right now.  Clearly not ready.  

When I heard the score of the game, I wondered who pitched. I figured Cobb was scheduled to go today or tomorrow. When I saw that he pitched, I thought, OMG, only this organization could take a solid #2 pitcher, and reduce him to Ubaldo Jimenez :P

On 4/15/2018 at 2:12 PM, weird-O said:

When I heard the score of the game, I wondered who pitched. I figured Cobb was scheduled to go today or tomorrow. When I saw that he pitched, I thought, OMG, only this organization could take a solid #2 pitcher, and reduce him to Ubaldo Jimenez :P

It's not out of the question that they might try to change whatever he does or throws best... just because it doesn't mesh with their wildly successful organizational pitching philosophies. :(

9 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

It's not out of the question that they might try to change whatever he does or throws best... just because it doesn't mesh with their wildly successful organizational pitching philosophies. :(

Nope, it a very big possibility. I thought Black Jack was supposed to be an awesome pitching coach. 

8 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Nope, it a very big possibility. I thought Black Jack was supposed to be an awesome pitching coach. 

Pitching coach and hitting both need changed.  This coolbaugh is a disaster.  Did Buck only hire him because he was buddies with Davis ????

Bump.  Appears like a re-bump will be in order in about 5 days. 

Btw, love the Cobb-Wright combo.  Like watching a plane crash on top of trainwreck. 

13 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Where did Big Dan find Cobb? What a pick-up!

Another pick-up by your GM-in-waiting:

It would be easy to look at this deal as another example of the way baseball operations chief Dan Duquette has been able to wait out the market year after year and acquire pivotal players during early February and spring training, but it’s not quite that simple.

The deal is more proof of the increasing role of Orioles vice president Brady Anderson, who was instrumental in bringing in Cashner and keeping the lines of communication open with Tillman. He also is believed to have been involved heavily in a very lengthy negotiating process with Cobb, who ended up with the largest pitching contract ever awarded to anyone by the Orioles.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-alex-cobb-orioles-0321-story.html

I suspect that just as Ryan Flaherty's early season stats will surely move back down towards his career numbers, so will Cobb's move back up towards his.

On the hitting coach side, it's worth noting that the guys the front office have acquired have mostly been all or nothing type bats throughout their careers before coming here. So it's not surprising to me that they'll continue to be strikeout-or-occasional-HR bats while here. Davis even had two somewhat extended periods where his K rate was down relative to career average, and his HR rate was WAY up relative to his career... turned those two runs in to a huge contract, and has since regressed to who he was before... except now he's worse and probably so mentally screwed under the pressure of trying to live up to his contract that he might never get out of it again.

Assemble a lineup of Dave Kingmans, who would probably still laugh at the modern version of himself, and you'll get an offense like we've seen for years.

On the pitching coach side, well, it seems everyone that comes here either equals or surpasses their career worsts under McDowell.

Edited by Ravens2006

52 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

On the hitting coach side, it's worth noting that the guys the front office have acquired have mostly been all or nothing type bats throughout their careers before coming here. So it's not surprising to me that they'll continue to be strikeout-or-occasional-HR bats while here. Davis even had two somewhat extended periods where his K rate was down relative to career average, and his HR rate was WAY up relative to his career... turned those two runs in to a huge contract, and has since regressed to who he was before... except now he's worse and probably so mentally screwed under the pressure of trying to live up to his contract that he might never get out of it again.

Assemble a lineup of Dave Kingmans, who would probably still laugh at the modern version of himself, and you'll get an offense like we've seen for years.

On the pitching coach side, well, it seems everyone that comes here either equals or surpasses their career worsts under McDowell.

:D For us old guys, Dave Kingman was the 70s and early 80s version of the all or nothing slugger.  Big Ks and Defensively challenged as well. A punch line when you were talking bad offense except for long home runs.  I looked at his career numbers one time year by year, and quite frankly I think he would be offended being compared to Krush right now.  He didn't strike out near as much as I thought - 130-150 range -  with 156 being the most when he was almost washed up.  He was a career .236 hitter but he hit in the .260-,280 range 4 or 5 years.  Point being, Kingman wasn't very good, but he looks like Rod Carew compared to Krush the last 2 plus years.  At age 35 (1984) when he was close to being done King Kong hit 35 HRs, 118 RBIs, hit .268 and with 119 Ks in 549ABs.  Krush will never come close to those numbers again. 

Edited by CROUSEMAN

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

:D For us old guys, Dave Kingman was the 70s and early 80s version of the all or nothing slugger.  Big Ks and Defensively challenged as well. A punch line when you were talking bad offense except for long home runs.  I looked at his career numbers one time year by year, and quite frankly I think he would be offended being compared to Krush right now.  He didn't strike out near as much as I thought - 130-150 range -  with 156 being the most when he was almost washed up.  He was a career .236 hitter but he hit in the .260-,280 range 4 or 5 years.  Point being, Kingman wasn't very good, but he looks like Rod Carew compared to Krush the last 2 plus years.  At age 35 (1984) when he was close to being done King Kong hit 35 HRs, 118 RBIs, hit .268 and with 119 Ks in 549ABs.  Krush will never come close to those numbers again. 

I look at Kingman's numbers relative to how the game was being played at the time.  His strikeout totals were VERY high during that era.  If he was playing today, I have no doubt he'd be over 200 a year for the simple reason that he'd be swinging for homeruns virtually every at bat, which is what they do today.  Like most hitters today, he'd have very little interest in drawing a walk.  That said, he made more contact than Davis ever will and would be hitting over .200 today.  

18 hours ago, pitbull said:

Where did Big Dan find Cobb? What a pick-up!

Cobb is still on ST footing. He'll be fine as the season goes on.

Dave Kingman's career was the stuff of legends, either notorious or nefarious, depending on what side of the coin you're on.

Kingman did two things: strike out (although not as much as one might expect, as another poster pointed out) and hit not just homers, but prodigious homers, the kind that never seemed to come down. Although known for his whiffs, he also hit more homers at a time when 30-35 would probably lead the league. Kingman just had the misfortune of playing in a time when a low batting average couldn't be atoned for with lots of homeruns. 

Kingman once hit 48 homers in a season and had a .956 OPS as well, but he's probably better remembered for hitting 37 homeruns one season and batting just .204. (Yes, I had to look that up.) It's almost as if he wasn't always taken seriously, but then again, how many guys before or since have been nicknamed "Kong?" Too bad he played most of his career in the National League; it'd have been worth the price of a ticket just to get to the park early and watch him take batting practice.

Edited by mdrunning