EgyptKang

Starbucks chief executive apologises for arrests of two black men

398 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

It's a pretty crazy business model for a restaurant or coffee-shop to let people take up tables without buying anything. Are you suggesting that white people who refuse to buy something are never asked to leave?

1 minute ago, regularguy said:

It's a pretty crazy business model for a restaurant or coffee-shop to let people take up tables without buying anything. Are you suggesting that white people who refuse to buy something are never asked to leave?

I am saying they are never harassed. These guys were waiting for someone. Something whites do everyday at Starbucks.  I used to go to Starbucks quite often.

1 minute ago, EgyptKang said:

I used to go to Starbucks quite often.

Did you typically take up a table without buying anything?

1 minute ago, regularguy said:

If waiting for others who I will order with, as is the case here? Sure.

If you go in, don't buy anything, try to use the restroom, then sit down and occupy the place you're going to get tossed. Doesn't matter what color you are.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

If waiting for others who I will order with, as is the case here? Sure.

Now if you see someone who makes a purchase looking for somewhere to sit, do you offer yours.??

Maybe these 2 guys didn't.

4 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Onlookers in the background are incredulous.

"What did they do?" one man asks.

"They didn't do anything," a woman responds. "I saw the entire thing."

All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/14/602556973/starbucks-police-and-mayor-weigh-in-on-controversial-arrest-of-2-black-men-in-ph

3 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

From your link:

When police arrived, two Starbucks employees told them two men had asked to use the restroom but were told they couldn't because they hadn't purchased anything. The men allegedly refused to leave after being asked by Starbucks employees. Ross also said the two men refused to leave after being asked three times by police officers.

The two men should have either bought something or gone outside to wait. They were clearly trespassing, and they were given several chances by the police officers to avoid arrest.

Just now, stevez51 said:

Now if you see someone who makes a purchase looking for somewhere to sit, do you offer yours.??

Were they sitting at a table?

5 minutes ago, regularguy said:

From your link:

The two men should have either bought something or gone outside to wait. They were clearly trespassing, and they were given several chances by the police officers to avoid arrest.

Agreed. It's pretty cut and dry. Not sure what all the commotion is about.

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The video clearly shows that they were.

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, regularguy said:

From your link:

I don't think that a Starbuck's policy dictating that anyone in the place not actively consuming a product will be considered a trespasser is good corporate policy and essentially contradicts the image Starbucks cultivates as a place where people are free to meet or work. 

Edited by hst2

2 minutes ago, Joba said:

The video clearly shows that they were.

I see empty tables as well.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

I don't think that a Starbuck's policy dictating that anyone in the place not actively consuming a product will be considered a trespasser is good corporate policy and essentially contradicts the image as Starbucks cultivates as a place where people are free to meet or work. 

It sounds like you're agreeing that Starbuck's policy was followed and there was no wrongdoing in the incident. Your only beef is with Starbuck's policy.

Melissa DePino, an author who posted video of the arrest, said staff called police because the two men had not ordered anything while waiting for a friend. She said white customers were "wondering why it's never happened to us when we do the same thing."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-police-chief-defends-officers-starbucks-arrests-033052350--finance.html

Guess it’s employee discretion when it comes to who is trespassing and who is not.

8 minutes ago, Joba said:

It sounds like you're agreeing that Starbuck's policy was followed and there was no wrongdoing in the incident. Your only beef is with Starbuck's policy.

What is the policy?

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

What is the policy?

You just posted it.

Just now, Joba said:

You just posted it.

No, I posted a scenario of a policy that would probably not be a good idea.

There is no policy because people hang out at Starbucks all the time. 

Just now, Marshan Man said:

There is no policy because people hang out at Starbucks all the time. 

Exactly. Panera bread is another popular hangout.

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I don't think that a Starbuck's policy dictating that anyone in the place not actively consuming a product will be considered a trespasser is good corporate policy and essentially contradicts the image Starbucks cultivates as a place where people are free to meet or work. 

I don't think you need to be "actively consuming a product", but I would have bought something nominal if I was going to take up a table.

Maybe I just don't have the seemingly-widespread sense of entitlement to do anything I please.

Edited by regularguy

48 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I dislike when I get my food after standing in a long line and then I cannot sit down because someone is holding a table. It’s just rude. That doesn’t appear to be the case here. 

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, regularguy said:

I don't think you need to be "actively consuming a product", but I would have bought something nominal if I was going to take up a table.

Maybe I just don't have the seemingly-widespread sense of entitlement to do anything I please.

Or maybe you just don't notice it.

Places like Starbucks encourage customers to hang around, even if they aren't consuming products. They even provide wifi so one can work or surf the internet for a while.

Edited by hst2

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Like this guy?