Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

This offense stinks

81 posts in this topic

No life what-so-ever.

When the Papa John's ad for 1/2 priced pizzas the day after the O's score 5 came on, I figured PJ's won't have to utilize that option very often this year.

Oh, and poor Bundy. Pitched very well for the 4th straight time, and goes to 0-2.

23 minutes ago, Rob said:

No life what-so-ever.

Been saying this for years, my friend. It’s very obvious Big Dan has no clue how to assemble a lineup. One-dimensional. No ability manufacture runs, advance runners, play small ball, et all. 

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Struds said:

Oh, and poor Bundy. Pitched very well for the 4th straight time, and goes to 0-2.

Correct. Should be 2-2 at the very minimum. Not with this sadsack offense.

Edited by pitbull

Striking out at an alarming rate. Lead the majors in Ks.

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

Striking out at an alarming rate. Lead the majors in Ks.

Why wouldn't they be? They basically return the same lineup and added Colby Rasmus to it. :)

They put you to sleep. One boring team to watch.

Time to clean house.

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

They put you to sleep. One boring team to watch.

Time to clean house.

Good luck with that.

No one will want Trumbo or Davis.

I don’t trust Big Dan’s foresight or vision to trade Machado or Schoop. You shouldn’t either. Just look at Big Dan’s background of evaluating pitchers.

176 strikeouts in 16 games. :eek::eek::eek:

54 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Why wouldn't they be? They basically return the same lineup and added Colby Rasmus to it. :)

Beckham and Joseph playing more as well.  Looks like Beckham is what TB always thought he was.  Miss Beef's bat for sure.

And now Danny Valencia is a starter, and killing us on defense. Could've had 3 errors today to go along with his .130 batting average.

Valencia, and Joseph & Beckham are part of Big Dan Duquette’s plan. You just gotta believe.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

176 strikeouts in 16 games. :eek::eek::eek:

Wonder what the Major League record is for an entire season.  Whatever it is, this team has a chance! :D

57 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

Wonder what the Major League record is for an entire season.  Whatever it is, this team has a chance! :D

2013 Astros with 1,535 in AL

2011 Diamondbacks with 1,529 in NL

Orioles are on pace for 1,782 K's.

Posted (edited)

Bit too early to be thinking about records. A number of teams are on pace right now for 100+ plus wins, but the odds are most, if not all, will not win that many games.

Edited by mdrunning

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, pitbull said:

Good luck with that.

No one will want Trumbo or Davis.

I don’t trust Big Dan’s foresight or vision to trade Machado or Schoop. You shouldn’t either. Just look at Big Dan’s background of evaluating pitchers.

Well, if you trust people like rosenthaw, big dan no longer has the authority to execute that kind of rebuild, whether you think he has the ability to evaluate talent or not.

You look at what Macphail is starting to put together in Philly and it’s just a shame. He probably had a lot of reasons for leaving the O’s but there’s no doubt in my mind that his treatment of Flanny and then Flanny’s suicide drove him out the door.

Macphail couldn’t have seen the consequences but Flanny sunk his life into the O’s and clearly had a lot to offer. In hindsight it’s easy to see that McPhail should’ve done more to give him a place in the organization

Edited by JoyinMudville

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Rob said:

No life what-so-ever.

Schoop going on the dl with an oblique strain is frightening. That’s the kind of Injury that can linger for a whole season. Beyond that, this offense is better than what they’ve shown us over these past 12 games. How much better remains to be seen.

Edited by JoyinMudville

22 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Well, if you trust people like rosenthaw, big dan no longer has the authority to execute that kind of rebuild, whether you think he has the ability to evaluate talent or not.

You look at what Macphail is starting to put together in Philly and it’s just a shame. He probably had a lot of reasons for leaving the O’s but there’s no doubt in my mind that his treatment of Flanny and then Flanny’s suicide drove him out the door.

Macphail couldn’t have seen the consequences but Flanny sunk his life into the O’s and clearly had a lot to offer. In hindsight it’s easy to see that McPhail should’ve done more to give him a place in the organization

I saw a reference to the article you've mentioned, but it's on that subscriber-only site, so I couldn't read the whole thing. What makes me a little skeptical is that it's Rosenthal. Is this truly the situation or is he just stirring the pot?

I see what you're saying about MacPhail vis a vis Flanagan, but the "co-GM" or whatever the dynamic actually was concerning Flanny and Jim Duquette wasn't working. You can only have one person in charge, which I think is a big part of the reason the Orioles largely spun their wheels for a 14-year span. As Napoleon once stated, "Better to have one bad general than two good ones." In other words, plenty of authority, but little direction. 

Plus, Flanagan had been in largely the same job MacPhail was brought in to occupy, and that's not the most comfortable of situations, either. I don't know if MacPhail's exit was hastened by the tragic death of Flanagan; in fact, I thought I remember reading that Andy wanted to spend more time with his father, who was in failing health and would pass away in 2012, or right around the time MacPhail's contract was due to expire.

I did see the part about Duquette's authority being severely eroded, and him understandably being none too happy about it. That being the case, and with the Angelos brothers reportedly taking over the day-to-day operation of the team, who's in charge? Is it Brady or Buck having the ear of the Angelos brothers, and which of them is the ultimate authority? You just can't have split duties because views and opinions are obviously going to conflict at times, which results in, well, not a whole helluva lot getting accomplished.

5 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I saw a reference to the article you've mentioned, but it's on that subscriber-only site, so I couldn't read the whole thing. What makes me a little skeptical is that it's Rosenthal. Is this truly the situation or is he just stirring the pot?

I see what you're saying about MacPhail vis a vis Flanagan, but the "co-GM" or whatever the dynamic actually was concerning Flanny and Jim Duquette wasn't working. You can only have one person in charge, which I think is a big part of the reason the Orioles largely spun their wheels for a 14-year span. As Napoleon once stated, "Better to have one bad general than two good ones." In other words, plenty of authority, but little direction. 

Plus, Flanagan had been in largely the same job MacPhail was brought in to occupy, and that's not the most comfortable of situations, either. I don't know if MacPhail's exit was hastened by the tragic death of Flanagan; in fact, I thought I remember reading that Andy wanted to spend more time with his father, who was in failing health and would pass away in 2012, or right around the time MacPhail's contract was due to expire.

I did see the part about Duquette's authority being severely eroded, and him understandably being none too happy about it. That being the case, and with the Angelos brothers reportedly taking over the day-to-day operation of the team, who's in charge? Is it Brady or Buck having the ear of the Angelos brothers, and which of them is the ultimate authority? You just can't have split duties because views and opinions are obviously going to conflict at times, which results in, well, not a whole helluva lot getting accomplished.

Well, the consistent thread is that, whatever positives Angelos has brought to the Orioles, and there have been positives, his tenure has been defined by dysfunction and his personal style has driven a lot of really good baseball people to the exits. And here we are reading all these years later about weird structures and dysfunction within the Orioles organization.

12 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

It's just a bad roster.

Very, very bad.

Correct. And a lot of folks on here blame Buck for that, lol. Didn’t realize managers assemble roosters.