Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

This offense stinks

81 posts in this topic

To be accurate, wasn't it more of a 3-headed monster during some of Flanny's time here? Jim Beattie was in the decision making mix too from what I recall. Beataflanaquette...

Edited by Ravens2006

7 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

To be accurate, wasn't it more of a 3-headed monster during some of Flanny's time here? Jim Beattie was in the decision making mix too from what I recall. Beataflanaquette...

Correct. Basically, it was a cluster u know what.

5 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

IDK but Mancini wasn't a Machado type prospect that you clear roster space for.

The O's bid against themselves for Davis. No one wanted him, but we still gave him $161 million when we could have gotten half that for half the years.

We had two servicable 1st base prospects with Mancini and Walker. A smart team would have said, we'll take our chances that one of these guys can handle 1st and spend that $161 million on a good corner outfielder, pitching, or Machado.

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Buck loves his guys.

And Duquette loves his one-dimensional offense & non-Major League pitching staff. Pathetic 

Here are the fruits of A.M.'s draft picks. I limited the list to those players who had more than just a cup of coffee in the bigs.

2008: Brian Matusz, L.J. Hoes, Caleb Joseph 
2009: Mychal Givens
2010: Manny, Parker Bridwell
2011: Dylan Bundy, Mike Wright, Tyler Wilson, Zach Davies

Trades/FA acquisitions. I limited this list to those players who had an impact with the O's during their playoff years:

2008: AJ, Tillman, Schoop
2010: Mark Reynolds, JJ Hardy
2011: Tommy Hunter, Pedro Strop

(Chris Davis was also acquired with Hunter. But I am not willing to give A.M. credit for him, since it was Buck who told him to refuse the Koji trade, if TX doesn't include Davis. Buck knew Davis from his time with the Rangers. He believed in Davis, and knew the Ranger could be persuaded to trade him, because they had a logjam of 1Bmen/DH types in their system and the big club).  

In my opinion, Reynolds doesn't belong on a list of players who had an impact on the O's being competitive. Neither does Strop, technically. But he has been a good reliever for the Cubs. I bolded the names of the players that represent the fruits of A.M.'s tenure, either with the O's, or the team they were traded to. The total is 10 players in 4 years as the GM.