Baltimatt

Barbara Bush seeks "comfort care", not medical intervention; she has now passed

76 posts in this topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/15/us/politics/barbara-bush-ill.html

Barbara Bush, the wife and mother of presidents who has long been among the most popular members of her famous family, has decided to stop seeking medical treatment to prolong her life as she faces a variety of ailments, people close to the family said on Sunday.

Mrs. Bush, who is 92 and frail, has been in and out of the hospital but has now forsworn further interventions and “will instead focus on comfort care,” according to a statement issued by her husband’s office in Houston.

“It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others,” the statement said. “She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving.”

My thoughts are with you and your family.

That’s the way to go out. With dignity. 

She always struck me as a genuinely good person. Go in peace.

Barbara has been a very good role model for women.

My mother, who is now 85 calls Barbara Bush the gray haired lady. May her end of days be peaceful. 

Posted (edited)

There was a time when the Oval Office had a tradition of respect, class, and dignity. Mrs. Bush has exemplified that with great honor and has garnered respect from all sides of the political spectrum.

Her decision at this time is also respected.

Edited by NCBirdfan

May Mrs. Bush's departure from this life be gentle.

Barbara Bush is  a good person. She even acknowledged  that no one, President, Governor or no; are not perfect and are capable of making mistakes, as are we all. 

6 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

May Mrs. Bush's departure from this life be gentle.

She has surely earned it; as have most kind and gentle people. 

There are very few really good, kind and gentle people in this world and she is one of them.  Go with God, Mrs. Bush.

I always liked Barbara Bush. I hope she goes without pain. 

2 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

There was a time when the Oval Office had a tradition of respect, class, and dignity. Mrs. Bush has exemplified that with great honor and has garnered respect from all sides of the political spectrum.

“There was a time when the Oval Office” .... you  just couldn’t pass up that opportunity, despite the circumstances, could you? 

Wife and mother of Presidents.

Barbara Bush is a great American.

Fair winds and following seas...

May her final earthily days be as comfortable as possible, and when her times, may she be prepared and RIP.

8 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

I think that is true of her husband as well. Over the years i have developed a real respect for Bush Sr. I still disagree with some of his policies and in some cases I vehemently disagree with what he did, but i have come to appreciate both him and his wife as profoundly decent people and great Americans

Rest in peace, "Silver fox."

RIP Mrs. Bush. 

RIP, Mrs. Bush.  I wasn't expecting this quite so soon after Sunday's announcement.