Pickle20

Maybe you missed it: Only a few hundred people march for gun rights

229 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Aren't the people saying "We don't want to take your guns"  the same ones that said"  If you like your plan... you can keep your plan"?  Author unknown.

It would seem so....

6 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Aren't the people saying "We don't want to take your guns"  the same ones that said"  If you like your plan... you can keep your plan"?  Author unknown.

Link?

12 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Or too tired after working all week.

Yeah, cause gun owners are the only people who work all week. :(

They may also believe there is nothing to be gained by marching since they are already guaranteed this right in the Constitution.

4 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

They may also believe there is nothing to be gained by marching since they are already guaranteed this right in the Constitution.

That's my thought.

9 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Yes. I believe there are extremists that want people to think a boogie man is coming after their guns. That was pretty much the line when Obama was running for president the first time. Of course it never happened. In fact, the opposite happened in the 2008 Heller case. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

What is the excuse for the small crowd in Boston? It wasn't just happening in Texas.

And this is scary:

Advocating for the murder of people in office to "defend the country and its people". :rolleyes: Sounds like it makes as much sense as murdering adults in an attempt to stop abortions.

#unhinged

just proves the point that only the fringe crazies of both sides go do the street protest/march  gig  why bother, especially since they never actually accomplish anything anyway-- a much smaller group of political donors accomplishes far more every time.  Now, one side has a whole lot more fringe crazies than the other, granted. 

Edited by Saticon3

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Link?

Video Shows NYC Protesters Chanting for "Dead Cops" - NBC New York

Dec 15, 2014 - Video captured from Saturday's protests in New York City appeared to show demonstrators apparently calling for the deaths of police officers, hours before violence on the Brooklyn Bridge marred the massive march in protest of police killings of black men, including Eric Garner on Staten Island. The video ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWqtaz3L_aAhXupVkKHX20AcUQtwIIVDAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhqQXmnMr_w8&usg=AOvVaw1X35G1uSE25ZV3XlKgrFyb

I thought the "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" was at least more catchy.

Edited by mrdeltoid

56 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Yes. I believe there are extremists that want people to think a boogie man is coming after their guns. That was pretty much the line when Obama was running for president the first time. Of course it never happened. In fact, the opposite happened in the 2008 Heller case. 

Do you think 2a advocates should ignore John Paul Stevens call to repeal the 2nd amendment ? Not trying to be sarcastic, but considering a SCOTUS took this position, shouldn't we remain vigilant when it comes to our rights, not just this, but all of them? TBH I agree, the 2nd isn't in real danger, but with this ground swell and the millennials coming of age, I'd at least keep my eyes on it. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Do you think 2a advocates should ignore John Paul Stevens call to repeal the 2nd amendment ? Not trying to be sarcastic, but considering a SCOTUS took this position, shouldn't we remain vigilant when it comes to our rights, not just this, but all of them? TBH I agree, the 2nd isn't in real danger, but with this ground swell and the millennials coming of age, I'd at least keep my eyes on it. 

The Supreme Court has taken no such position. I assume you are referring to the OP ED piece written by Stevens in the New York Times. That is a long way from what you are espousing. If anything, the Supreme Court strengthened the 2nd Amendment in 2008.  

Any attempt to repeal the 2nd Amendment would likely never come to fruition, at least not in our lifetime. Keep in mind, the Equal Rights Amendment was first introduced in 1923 and it still has not been ratified.   

Edited by FatBoy

Repeal of the 2A goes into the same circular filing cabinet with "Obama is coming for your guns." This is alarmist stuff cranked out by an alarmist group, the NRA. Maybe everyone should start by not getting alarmed.

1 hour ago, FatBoy said:

The Supreme Court has taken no such position. I assume you are referring to the OP ED piece written by Stevens in the New York Times. That is a long way from what you are espousing. If anything, the Supreme Court strengthened the 2nd Amendment in 2008.  

Any attempt to repeal the 2nd Amendment would likely never come to fruition, at least not in our lifetime. Keep in mind, the Equal Rights Amendment was first introduced in 1923 and it still has not been ratified.   

I definitely didn’t word that right. I meant to point out that when a jurist of his stature ( former SCOTUSJ) makes a public statement that the 2a needs to be repealed , I doubt he is the only one of that belief.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Video Shows NYC Protesters Chanting for "Dead Cops" - NBC New York

Dec 15, 2014 - Video captured from Saturday's protests in New York City appeared to show demonstrators apparently calling for the deaths of police officers, hours before violence on the Brooklyn Bridge marred the massive march in protest of police killings of black men, including Eric Garner on Staten Island. The video ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWqtaz3L_aAhXupVkKHX20AcUQtwIIVDAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhqQXmnMr_w8&usg=AOvVaw1X35G1uSE25ZV3XlKgrFyb

I thought the "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" was at least more catchy.

You said there were several marches chanting for dead cops. That’s only one and a small portion of what was another bigger March. 

Edited by Pickle20

28 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I definitely didn’t word that right. I meant to point out that when a jurist of his stature ( former SCOTUSJ) makes a public statement that the 2a needs to be repealed , I doubt he is the only one of that belief.

So what? At this point his opinion means about as much as Uncle Ned’s. He can’t influence policy anymore and actually the 2A was strengthened while he was still a member of the SCOTUS. When a politician in office says we should repeal the 2A and it gets real traction then gun owners can worry. Until then this is just like the war on Christmas. Dumbed down bumper sticker rhetoric to get people all hot and bothered. 

15 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

To be safe, you should probably buy more guns.  That's what the NRA would like you to do. 

Also, will the "millennials" be the next boogeyman that the NRA trots out to scare it's supporters into buying more?  :lol:

11 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

So what? At this point his opinion means about as much as Uncle Ned’s. He can’t influence policy anymore and actually the 2A was strengthened while he was still a member of the SCOTUS. When a politician in office says we should repeal the 2A and it gets real traction then gun owners can worry. Until then this is just like the war on Christmas. Dumbed down bumper sticker rhetoric to get people all hot and bothered. 

Obama is no longer POTUS. Are you saying that if he espoused the same viewpoint as Stevens it would have no influence? I think not.

3 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

Obama is no longer POTUS. Are you saying that if he espoused the same viewpoint as Stevens it would have no influence? I think not.

I will give you that Obama has more pull than Stevens does after they're off the job. But really, what could he do now that would be more impactful than what he could have done while in office?

15 minutes ago, ODENTON said:

Woman declines to sing national anthem at minor league game because she can't bring her gun

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/13/woman-declines-to-sing-national-anthem-at-minor-league-game-because-cant-bring-her-gun.html

Dang metal detectors

I bet Alishia was marching.

Greater Nevada Field policy prohibits bringing weapons.

. http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?sid=t2310&ymd=20120202&content_id=26551806&vkey=team1

Bags, backpacks, and containers brought into Greater Nevada Field cannot be larger than 16" x 16" x 8". All bags, including backpacks and purses are subject to search prior to entry. No cans, weapons, glass containers, or alcohol may be brought in the Field. Hard-sided coolers are also not permitted. Strollers must be small enough to keep out of walkways and aisles, or be checked in the Guest Relations office located behind Section 105.

Does that prohibition also apply to on-duty police officers?

The field is privately owned, so I don't see how barring guns could be a violation of her Second Amendment rights.

3 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Greater Nevada Field policy prohibits bringing weapons.

. http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?sid=t2310&ymd=20120202&content_id=26551806&vkey=team1

Does that prohibition also apply to on-duty police officers?

The field is privately owned, so I don't see how barring guns could be a violation of her Second Amendment rights.

1. I'm guessing an on-duty police officer may be exempt.

2. maybe she just wanted some press for her cause

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, ODENTON said:

Woman declines to sing national anthem at minor league game because she can't bring her gun

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/13/woman-declines-to-sing-national-anthem-at-minor-league-game-because-cant-bring-her-gun.html

Dang metal detectors

I bet Alishia was marching.

"She decided to inform the organization through a letter, she said, in which she wrote, “I WILL NOT sing our national anthem at a place that seeks to strip me of my second amendment rights, nor will I be attending any future events at the Ace’s ballpark as long as this is taking place.”

That'll teach 'em. They're not gonna have Alishia to kick around anymore. :rolleyes:

Edited by FatBoy

48 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I will give you that Obama has more pull than Stevens does after they're off the job. But really, what could he do now that would be more impactful than what he could have done while in office?

In all honesty, I think a former POTUS or former SCOTUS espousing their view that the SA should be repealed would carry a lot of weight for many folks. 

Obama never mentioned that the SA should be repealed. Do you believe if he stated that now it would not be a major influence on policy? I think it would. 

3 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

In all honesty, I think a former POTUS or former SCOTUS espousing their view that the SA should be repealed would carry a lot of weight for many folks. 

Obama never mentioned that the SA should be repealed. Do you believe if he stated that now it would not be a major influence on policy? I think it would. 

No, I don't. It would make headlines, yes, but it would do little else and just cause the NRA and gun owners to hunker down even more. In fact, I am guessing the NRA and gun makers would welcome such a thing.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

To be safe, you should probably buy more guns.  That's what the NRA would like you to do. 

Also, will the "millennials" be the next boogeyman that the NRA trots out to scare it's supporters into buying more?  :lol:

Good question. Guess it will depend if they still see law abiding citizens who own a gun as the boogeyman. :P Which is more reasonable, a fear of loosing a constitutional right, or the fear of inanimate objects? I don’t think the former is the case in states like Md, since we currently have no right to bare arms outside of our house. However, in the 30 plus states that do, they don’t see making sure they don’t loose that right as unreasonable. JMHO

4 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Good question. Guess it will depend if they still see law abiding citizens who own a gun as the boogeyman. :P Which is more reasonable, a fear of loosing a constitutional right, or the fear of inanimate objects? I don’t think the former is the case in states like Md, since we currently have no right to bare arms outside of our house. However, in the 30 plus states that do, they don’t see making sure they don’t loose that right as unreasonable. JMHO

It is funny that you group all "millenials" together as a monolithic thinking group.  I guess that's the result of always being afraid of something as the NRA teaches.  :lol:

Since you already believe that states like Maryland have lost their constitutional rights, I'd put you on the unreasonable side.  Let me know when know when that new amendment that repeals the 2nd starts making it's way through the states.