Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Vacation thread

56 posts in this topic

I'm going to Chicago this weekend.

Booked airfare for a trip to Sicily in September.

Any suggestions for either of those places? Got any trips of your own planned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give us a wave as you fly over on your way to Sicily. :P :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

I'm going to Chicago this weekend.

Booked airfare for a trip to Sicily in September.

Any suggestions for either of those places? Got any trips of your own planned?

Awesome, have a great time!  

This will be the first year in probably my whole life that I won't be taking a vacation.  We're doing a staycation this summer and I'll be taking a couple of weeks in the Fall because I'm moving. 

I will be taking a long weekend sometime in the Fall also to go see Dallas play, waiting on the schedule to come out!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did AC 3 weeks ago Mon-Fri and had a Great time. Figuring I'll skip Summer since their Rates go up like the rest of the Beaches on the East Coast. I'll go again right after Labor Day when they cut the room rates back after the season. I don't figure I'll be flying to LV anymore, getting too Old for that. Didn't bother me much in my 50's but now past 60 I don't want to go through all that anymore. Don't want to do that all day Flying Travel Ordeal now I'm older. Drive to BWI, park in Long Term, get the shuttle bus to the Terminal, Check in & go through TSA then wait to board. It's a 5hr flight out there then you go and get your luggage from the carousel, make your way to the rental car place and get a car then drive to the Hotel and go through check in there. It's easily 8 hours or more then you have to do it all again in reverse coming back. Just don't feel like doing all that anymore when I can drive myself to AC in 3hrs flat in comfort with my tunes or audiobooks playing. Yeah that's the Plan now. AC ain't LV but it'll do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, Cowboyz said:

Awesome, have a great time!  

This will be the first year in probably my whole life that I won't be taking a vacation.  We're doing a staycation this summer and I'll be taking a couple of weeks in the Fall because I'm moving. 

I will be taking a long weekend sometime in the Fall also to go see Dallas play, waiting on the schedule to come out!! 

I got my wife and some friends who are cowboy fans thinking about a preseason game in dallas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, daravenator said:

I got my wife and some friends who are cowboy fans thinking about a preseason game in dallas

That's awesome! So much to do in Dallas, I'm sure you guys will have a great time.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 11:18 AM, Pickle20 said:

I'm going to Chicago this weekend.

Booked airfare for a trip to Sicily in September.

Any suggestions for either of those places? Got any trips of your own planned?

Love Chicago! Hope you have a great time! Great blues bars! Navy Pier is pretty cool. My 1 recommendation, if you can, visit the Museum of Science and Industry. . The restaurant Heaven on Seven is fantastic!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 3:47 PM, naive said:

Love Chicago! Hope you have a great time! Great blues bars! Navy Pier is pretty cool. My 1 recommendation, if you can, visit the Museum of Science and Industry. . The restaurant Heaven on Seven is fantastic!!

Yeah Chicago was great. Really surprised me how much I liked it.

I would like to go back when the weather is better and I can catch a game at Wrigley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Yeah Chicago was great. Really surprised me how much I liked it.

I would like to go back when the weather is better and I can catch a game at Wrigley.

What, too windy for ya? ... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

What, too windy for ya? ... :P

No it was actually not bad there. Saturday was cold, but Friday and Sunday were sunny and mild. I'd like to go back when it's beach season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We're doing OCNJ again this summer, for the 10th year in a row. This time, we sort of spent, and rented a place with a private rooftop deck, which is something I've always wanted, because you can see the beautiful people enjoying theirs, from our previous regular deck. It's very small, but has ocean views, and I can smoke discreetly. 

Last year, for our 30th, we added a roadtrip to Boston and the Barrett Jackson car show.

I'd really recommend Boston if you ever get the chance. It's a beautiful city with obviously a ton of history, and while we skipped the usual, crowd packed sites, if you go 100 yards to the next street, walk onto a side street or alley and it just goes on and on like an expanded version of old Annapolis or Ellicott city. Amazing old school classic. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the airport. The room was on the 9th floor with a window wall overlooking the city skyline. They have a really cool boat shuttle that runs every 15 minuets right to the action.

The downside, which I didn't expect, was how expensive this is. It's a real disappointment when the hotel you're spending $500 dollars a night on also charges you $100 to park in their lot. Thats BS. Also, the cool boat ride to the city is well worth the 20$ ticket, but thats one way for two, and over the weekend, you're gonna want to do it a few times. ( thats the boat ride.)  They should cover the parking and the boat shuttle for what they're charging. 

On the way, we also hit Newport, which is also really cool, but also stupidly expensive.

If I ever get remarried, and get to the 30 year mark, I'll remember this and probably go somewhere else.

Edited by pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pepper said:

We're doing OCNJ again this summer, for the 10th year in a row. This time, we sort of spent, and rented a place with a private rooftop deck, which is something I've always wanted, because you can see the beautiful people enjoying theirs, from our previous regular deck. It's very small, but has ocean views, and I can smoke discreetly. 

Last year, for our 30th, we added a roadtrip to Boston and the Barrett Jackson car show.

I'd really recommend Boston if you ever get the chance. It's a beautiful city with obviously a ton of history, and while we skipped the usual, crowd packed sites, if you go 100 yards to the next street, walk onto a side street or alley and it just goes on and on like an expanded version of old Annapolis or Ellicott city. Amazing old school classic. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the airport. The room was on the 9th floor with a window wall overlooking the city skyline. They have a really cool boat shuttle that runs every 15 minuets right to the action.

The downside, which I didn't expect, was how expensive this is. It's a real disappointment when the hotel you're spending $500 dollars a night on also charges you $100 to park in their lot. Thats BS. Also, the cool boatride to the city is well worth the 20$ ticket, but thats one way for two, and over the weekend, you're gonna want to do it a few times. ( thats the boat ride.)  They should cover the parking and the boat shuttle for what they're charging. 

On the way, we also hit Newport, which is also really cool, but also stupidly expensive.

If I ever get remarried, and get to the 30 year mark, I'll remember this and probably go somewhere else.

Your last line :lol:

How was Barrett-Jackson?? That’s on my bucket list. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pink

Barrett Jackson is a lot more than whats shown on TV. The auction was held at the Mohegan Sun Casino, and all the cars were staged in an adjoining 5 level parking garage which makes for a massive car show with every type of vehicle you can imagine. The show is heavily edited to show just the typical cool cars, but they also auction a lot of classic motorcycles and even vintage farm tractors. They also auction a lot of memorabilia. So you walk thru the garage and as cars are called to the block they left in groups. The sounds and smells are awesome, if you're into that sort of thing. Every vehicle was for sale, and although the show features stuff like $200,000 Corvettes, if you have 20 grand you would have a hard time choosing. (at some point we're going to fight about it, I'd like a model A pick up, my wife likes a 69 Chevell.)

We did not sit for the auction, just walked the grounds. One of the coolest bits was a blocked off parking lot where Dodge had set up a track of sorts, showing off the Hellcats and Vipers, Corvettes, etc.. doing a long straight with tight turns at each end. Lots of tire smoke and incredible noise. The Hellcat is really impressive. First few times we backed from the fence as they passed, it was that close up. I was sure someone was going to lose it showing off...

Here's a clip from that event.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes, I remember you talking about that before. That track looks like fun! 

We’re going to Mecum at Harrisburg this summer. I just love to walk around and look at all the cars. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in the Lehigh Valley region this weekend, my wife has family there. I really like it up there. Went trap shooting and had great BBQ. Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just booked Harrah's again in AC for 4 nites the last week of August. Waterfront (New) tower same as I had in March for $310 total. Could've gone cheaper but the Harbor & Marina towers are getting pretty Old. The Newly remodeled Bayview tower rooms cost More than the Waterfront tower. Anyway, Harrah's gives you a coupon at check in so you only pay $5 for your 1st nite parking and after that when I was there in March they didn't charge me anymore for the rest of my stay when I was coming & going to the other casinos. Couldn't get a rate less than $95/nite at the Nugget where I expect to play the most, oh well. Anyway their parking is always free and I have no problem going back & forth to there. I'll have to check out the Hard Rock (ex-Taj) when I go there. They're supposed to open June 28th. I'll park at Resorts then as their parking is free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from visiting friends in Albuquerque. They live in the Sandia Mountains foothills. Beautiful view of the mountain range from their backyard; beautiful view of the city from their front yard.  Awoke at 4:00 a.m. every day and sat outside with my coffee and book enjoying the view and watching all the lizards. Much needed very relaxing few days.  The only negative of being there is that I could not keep my skin and hair moisturized - so dry. Our trip to Santa Fe was lovely - had the best lunch I've ever had at a place called The Shed. Not planning any international trips this year, just going to stay domestic. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been itching for a road trip. Would like to go to Portland, ME with an overnight stop in NH on the way up, maybe NYC for the way back. We have friends who live in Manhattan. Maybe next spring for the big 4-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to some fellowship with nature while camping at Audra State Park in West Virginia next month. Good start to the camping thus far with weekend trips taken at Susquehanna and Elk Neck State Parks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, Pickle20 said:

Been itching for a road trip. Would like to go to Portland, ME with an overnight stop in NH on the way up, maybe NYC for the way back. We have friends who live in Manhattan. Maybe next spring for the big 4-0.

We visited Portland last year. Stayed at the Inn By The Sea in Cape Elizabeth (15-20 mins from Portland). A little $$$ but well-worth it. mrs. mlato says too cold in winter, but I could retire there with no problem. If you go, and you drink beer, take the Allagash Brewery tour. Best one I've ever been on. 

This December 30th  is 30 years for mrs. mlato and me. But rather than spend $$$$ for that time of year, we're celebrating our anniversary in June and going back to Jamaica where we had our honeymoon. It will be our 8th trip to Jamaica and our 7th stay at Couples in Ocho Rios (last trip in 2016 we stayed in Montego Bay, in a resort with singles and kids. I repeat...last lol). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 7:42 AM, Sprightly said:

Just returned from visiting friends in Albuquerque. They live in the Sandia Mountains foothills. Beautiful view of the mountain range from their backyard; beautiful view of the city from their front yard.  Awoke at 4:00 a.m. every day and sat outside with my coffee and book enjoying the view and watching all the lizards. Much needed very relaxing few days.  The only negative of being there is that I could not keep my skin and hair moisturized - so dry. Our trip to Santa Fe was lovely - had the best lunch I've ever had at a place called The Shed. Not planning any international trips this year, just going to stay domestic. :) 

I was there about 40 years ago and took the trip up to Sandia peak and ate in the restaurant up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to Baltimore for a weekend in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I'm going to Baltimore for a weekend in June.

I'll be there 9-10 June, leaving on the 11th.  (Saturday through Monday)  Maybe we should have a Spotfest.

Edited by Baltimatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of going to Singapore next May for my 40th and combining Thailand or Cambodia with it. Anyone ever been?

I just have to go to the hawker markets in Singapore. Every time I see Bourdain there, I just have to go and experience that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0