Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scaggsville

Opioid Memorial

13 posts in this topic

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/just-steps-white-house-memorial-victims-americas-drug-crisis/

I've been a couple degrees removed from many lost loved ones over the last decade. I haven't directly lost a friend or family member to opioids. Neighbor's son-in-law, coworkers friend's son,  friend's daughter's baby daddy, etc...

It seems strange to me that we have a national memorial. I say that only because historically we as a society erect memorials once an event is passed, or a battle won or lost.

We are still in the teeth of this battle. We should use every available resource to fight it. It seems lazy and premature to waste energy on a memorial.

My sympathy is for people who became addicted in the course of treating their chronic pain.

Not so much with people who were just seeking a high, knowing full well what they were getting into. Few, if any, take that first dose of heroin without knowing that it's highly addictive.

It’s not a regular memorial. It’s more to make an impact.

“These faces don’t belong to living Americans. They are the memorialized engravings of 22,000 people who died in 2015 from prescription opioid addiction.”

55 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

... 22,000 people who died in 2015 from prescription opioid addiction.

That many people died from prescription opiod drugs... rather than from "street" drugs? Hard to imagine!

48 minutes ago, regularguy said:

That many people died from prescription opiod drugs... rather than from "street" drugs? Hard to imagine!

Thus the imagery...to put it into perspective.

2 hours ago, regularguy said:

My sympathy is for people who became addicted in the course of treating their chronic pain.

Not so much with people who were just seeking a high, knowing full well what they were getting into. Few, if any, take that first dose of heroin without knowing that it's highly addictive.

So those taking it for pain don’t know how highly addictive it is?

2 minutes ago, songfourone said:

So those taking it for pain don’t know how highly addictive it is?

Doctors hand out out prescriptions for oxycodone to just about anyone recovering from even minor surgery. I think it comes as a surprise to most patients that they can get physically addicted. But for people shooting heroin, there's no surprise.

6 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Doctors hand out out prescriptions for oxycodone to just about anyone recovering from even minor surgery. I think it comes as a surprise to most patients that they can get physically addicted. But for people shooting heroin, there's no surprise.

It appears you don’t understand addictions.

No judge of course.

13 minutes ago, songfourone said:

It appears you don’t understand addictions.

No judge of course.

No it appears he doesn’t. You would think that after all these years, studies, reports etc, everyone would have at least some conversational understanding of addictions. But I guess some are too stubbornly close-minded to want to understand.

What am I wrong about... that first-time heroin users probably know what they're getting into... or that a 60-year-old grandmother with a knee replacement is probably not aware she'll have physical withdrawal symptoms when she stops taking oxycodone?

4 hours ago, Scaggsville said:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/just-steps-white-house-memorial-victims-americas-drug-crisis/

I've been a couple degrees removed from many lost loved ones over the last decade. I haven't directly lost a friend or family member to opioids. Neighbor's son-in-law, coworkers friend's son,  friend's daughter's baby daddy, etc...

It seems strange to me that we have a national memorial. I say that only because historically we as a society erect memorials once an event is passed, or a battle won or lost.

We are still in the teeth of this battle. We should use every available resource to fight it. It seems lazy and premature to waste energy on a memorial.

Lazy and premature are themes in this White House. It's probably a lot cheaper than actually doing something about it. May as well make a memorial to those dying from the lack of an ability to pay their medical bills.  After years of taking envelopes and commemorating stamps this is just another cheap way for the republicans to opt out from doing anything meaningful.  

2 hours ago, regularguy said:

The only way to deal with this scourge is to legalize opioids.  Oh, wait.

Totally avoidable; they should have just ate ice cream and French fries, or so I hear.