Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

North Korea is conning Donald Trump yet again

59 posts in this topic

Trump is the one who has made a significant concession by becoming the first sitting U.S. president willing to meet with the leader of North Korea — an act that will inherently legitimize the ruler of the world’s most despotic regime and feed its propaganda that even the world’s sole superpower feels compelled to bow before its mighty nuclear arsenal. What is Trump getting in return?

...“denuclearization”...For Kim, it’s a code word for the United States withdrawing its security guarantee from South Korea...Ah, but hasn’t Kim now said that he is willing to allow U.S. troops to remain in the South even after an agreement? Yes, and so did his father Kim Jong Il in the 1990s. The elder Kim said North Korea would be amenable to U.S. troops staying “as a peacekeeping force in Korea, instead of a hostile force against the North.” It’s hard to know exactly what that means, but it suggests a small, symbolic, lightly armed presence that cannot credibly deter North Korea....Kim’s latest pledge — to stop nuclear and missile testing — is not, as Trump tweeted, “big progress,” because he has said it before and it can easily be reversed. Explaining this move, Kim claimed that his nuclear weapons program is complete and doesn’t need any more tests. Even if that’s not true, there may be a practical reason for closing the nuclear test site...

Caution is in order, but Trump abounds with credulity....Now the president thinks he alone can bring peace to the Korean Peninsula. According to Axios’s reporting, he thinks: “Just get me in the room with the guy [Kim Jong Un] and I’ll figure it out.” ...Trump knows next to nothing about Korea. (On Tuesday he said, “People don’t realize the Korean War has not ended,” (meaning he just found out.) He has set expectations sky-high and, vastly overconfident, he is going to parlay with a wily dictator who has played him like a Stradivarius. What could possibly go wrong?

Link

Ah.  A Washington Post columnist.  For a minute there, I thought about taking him seriously.

8 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Ah.  A Washington Post columnist.  For a minute there, I thought about taking him seriously.

Thanks for the insight. :lol:

8 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Srsly??

Posted (edited)

We need to nuke little Kim on the face of the earth. Sorry folks, but once NK got their nukes they automatically became legitimized. That's how things work in this brutal world of ours. 

Edited by flyboy56

51 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

he's also a republican.....you know the WP employs columnists from both sides.....probably not....

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-boot-republicans-in-exile-20160508-story.html

Boot worked as a foreign policy advisor to John McCain in 2008, Mitt Romney in 2012 and Marco Rubio this year. All of those candidates, different as they were, recognizably represented Reagan Republicanism

Kim il Sung and family have been in power since right after WWII. If that isn't legitimate, tell us what is. 

Posted (edited)

Before we look at this nonsense, let me say that I don't believe there is much of a chance of actually getting a workable deal on the Korean peninsula.  I think it interesting that NK is talking about a peace treaty and actually ending the war.  We need to remember however that the President of SK is outspoken in his desire to have better relations with NK and, eventually, reunifying.

"Trump is the one who has made a significant concession by becoming the first sitting U.S. president willing to meet with the leader of North Korea — an act that will inherently legitimize the ruler of the world’s most despotic regime and feed its propaganda that even the world’s sole superpower feels compelled to bow before its mighty nuclear arsenal. What is Trump getting in return? "

You guys had no problem with Obama working a deal with the nutcases in Teheran, but when Trump agrees to sit down with a nuclear-powered psychotic with an eye toward potentially ending a threat to the entire western pacific, that we shouldn't do.  Talking with Iran was the right thing for Obama to do, and there is more than a few who believe we got taken to the cleaners.  It's easy to talk to friendly nations; talking to enemies is the only way to solve problems. 

"...“denuclearization”...For Kim, it’s a code word for the United States withdrawing its security guarantee from South Korea...Ah, but hasn’t Kim now said that he is willing to allow U.S. troops to remain in the South even after an agreement? Yes, and so did his father Kim Jong Il in the 1990s. The elder Kim said North Korea would be amenable to U.S. troops staying “as a peacekeeping force in Korea, instead of a hostile force against the North.” It’s hard to know exactly what that means, but it suggests a small, symbolic, lightly armed presence that cannot credibly deter North Korea....Kim’s latest pledge — to stop nuclear and missile testing — is not, as Trump tweeted, “big progress,” because he has said it before and it can easily be reversed. Explaining this move, Kim claimed that his nuclear weapons program is complete and doesn’t need any more tests. Even if that’s not true, there may be a practical reason for closing the nuclear test site..."

Where was this clown when we negotiated the deal with Iran, a deal that "can easily be reversed".  Nearly all deals can be easily reversed; such is the nature of political deals with nations that ignore the rule of law.  This twit has troops coming out of SK ("...suggests a small, lightly armed presence") and states the obvious about Kim's "ending" the test program. A reasonably well studied college freshman could have written this drivel.

"Caution is in order, but Trump abounds with credulity....Now the president thinks he alone can bring peace to the Korean Peninsula. According to Axios’s reporting, he thinks: “Just get me in the room with the guy [Kim Jong Un] and I’ll figure it out.” ...Trump knows next to nothing about Korea. (On Tuesday he said, “People don’t realize the Korean War has not ended,” (meaning he just found out.) He has set expectations sky-high and, vastly overconfident, he is going to parlay with a wily dictator who has played him like a Stradivarius. What could possibly go wrong?"

This is probably the stupidest of it all.  I bet if you went out on the street, most.folks won't be able to tell you that there has never been a formal end to the Korean War.  I'm not sure where this buffoon thinks expectations are sky-high.  They're not set that high in the media; the media thinks Trump is an idiot.  They're not set that high in Congress.  Most Republicans in Congress don't want anything to do with Trump and Democrats from mayor of any one-horse town to the Senate in California are running against Trump. Europe?  Please.

So, other than in this "scholar's" column, where are expectations sky high?

The concern isn't so much Trump as how Trump will react when Moon Jae-in tries to give away the store.  My concern is that Trump will try to outdo him, and then it will go south quickly.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad

2 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

he's also a republican.....you know the WP employs columnists from both sides.....probably not....

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-boot-republicans-in-exile-20160508-story.html

Boot worked as a foreign policy advisor to John McCain in 2008, Mitt Romney in 2012 and Marco Rubio this year. All of those candidates, different as they were, recognizably represented Reagan Republicanism

I can assure you those three have little in common with Reagan Republicanism.

Posted (edited)

I don’t know why Max Boot is so concerned. John Bolton is a lot of things, but a guy who’s going to stand by and let Trump get suckered by Kim he is not. That said, I don’t think Trump will get suckered on his own either.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz

6 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Srsly??

The Washington Post is an extension of the DNC.

A few months ago people like this writer were totally alarmed at the rhetoric being tossed back and forth between Trump and Kim.  Now they don't want diplomacy.  No doubt Kim could be running a game here and should not be trusted, but isn't it better to at least be engaging him as opposed to talking military action?  Our allies in that region seem to think so.  NK is not to be trusted, anymore than Iran was.  But talking to them is better than the alternative.  Amazing how quickly the narrative from the media changed because they didn't think it was possible.  The most absurd thing they put out there is that agreeing to meet with NK legitimizes them.  Really.  NK has been around since the end of WWII.  They are a member of the UN.  The same ruling family has been in power since the 1940's.  They have demonstrated that they already have nuclear weapon capability, although how much is debatable.  They are already legitimate.  

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Before we look at this nonsense, let me say that I don't believe there is much of a chance of actually getting a workable deal on the Korean peninsula.  I think it interesting that NK is talking about a peace treaty and actually ending the war.  We need to remember however that the President of SK is outspoken in his desire to have better relations with NK and, eventually, reunifying.

"Trump is the one who has made a significant concession by becoming the first sitting U.S. president willing to meet with the leader of North Korea — an act that will inherently legitimize the ruler of the world’s most despotic regime and feed its propaganda that even the world’s sole superpower feels compelled to bow before its mighty nuclear arsenal. What is Trump getting in return? "

You guys had no problem with Obama working a deal with the nutcases in Teheran, but when Trump agrees to sit down with a nuclear-powered psychotic with an eye toward potentially ending a threat to the entire western pacific, that we shouldn't do.  Talking with Iran was the right thing for Obama to do, and there is more than a few who believe we got taken to the cleaners.  It's easy to talk to friendly nations; talking to enemies is the only way to solve problems. 

"...“denuclearization”...For Kim, it’s a code word for the United States withdrawing its security guarantee from South Korea...Ah, but hasn’t Kim now said that he is willing to allow U.S. troops to remain in the South even after an agreement? Yes, and so did his father Kim Jong Il in the 1990s. The elder Kim said North Korea would be amenable to U.S. troops staying “as a peacekeeping force in Korea, instead of a hostile force against the North.” It’s hard to know exactly what that means, but it suggests a small, symbolic, lightly armed presence that cannot credibly deter North Korea....Kim’s latest pledge — to stop nuclear and missile testing — is not, as Trump tweeted, “big progress,” because he has said it before and it can easily be reversed. Explaining this move, Kim claimed that his nuclear weapons program is complete and doesn’t need any more tests. Even if that’s not true, there may be a practical reason for closing the nuclear test site..."

Where was this clown when we negotiated the deal with Iran, a deal that "can easily be reversed".  Nearly all deals can be easily reversed; such is the nature of political deals with nations that ignore the rule of law.  This twit has troops coming out of SK ("...suggests a small, lightly armed presence") and states the obvious about Kim's "ending" the test program. A reasonably well studied college freshman could have written this drivel.

"Caution is in order, but Trump abounds with credulity....Now the president thinks he alone can bring peace to the Korean Peninsula. According to Axios’s reporting, he thinks: “Just get me in the room with the guy [Kim Jong Un] and I’ll figure it out.” ...Trump knows next to nothing about Korea. (On Tuesday he said, “People don’t realize the Korean War has not ended,” (meaning he just found out.) He has set expectations sky-high and, vastly overconfident, he is going to parlay with a wily dictator who has played him like a Stradivarius. What could possibly go wrong?"

This is probably the stupidest of it all.  I bet if you went out on the street, most.folks won't be able to tell you that there has never been a formal end to the Korean War.  I'm not sure where this buffoon thinks expectations are sky-high.  They're not set that high in the media; the media thinks Trump is an idiot.  They're not set that high in Congress.  Most Republicans in Congress don't want anything to do with Trump and Democrats from mayor of any one-horse town to the Senate in California are running against Trump. Europe?  Please.

So, other than in this "scholar's" column, where are expectations sky high?

The concern isn't so much Trump as how Trump will react when Moon Jae-in tries to give away the store.  My concern is that Trump will try to outdo him, and then it will go south quickly.

You sound to bitter and angry. Do you think its okay that the president of the United States just found out that the Korean War has not ended?

Big progress, MOR, big progress.

Edited by hst2

6 hours ago, cprenegade said:

A few months ago people like this writer were totally alarmed at the rhetoric being tossed back and forth between Trump and Kim.  Now they don't want diplomacy.  No doubt Kim could be running a game here and should not be trusted, but isn't it better to at least be engaging him as opposed to talking military action?  Our allies in that region seem to think so.  NK is not to be trusted, anymore than Iran was.  But talking to them is better than the alternative.  Amazing how quickly the narrative from the media changed because they didn't think it was possible.  The most absurd thing they put out there is that agreeing to meet with NK legitimizes them.  Really.  NK has been around since the end of WWII.  They are a member of the UN.  The same ruling family has been in power since the 1940's.  They have demonstrated that they already have nuclear weapon capability, although how much is debatable.  They are already legitimate.  

We'll have to hope for the best. I think the author is suggesting that Trump is an idiot who doesn't really understand what is going on and is apt to do something compulsive and counter-product, which, is certainly a legitimate concern,

6 hours ago, Manny said:

The Washington Post is an extension of the DNC.

Ah no.

2 hours ago, hst2 said:

You sound to bitter and angry. Do you think its okay that the president of the United States just found out that the Korean War has not ended?

Big progress, MOR, big progress.

Thank you for your concern.

Unfortunately, the increasingly frequent trend of your posts to simply not make sense is reflected here as well.

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

Ah no.

Ah yes.

16 minutes ago, Manny said:

Ah yes.

Ah, no, it is not.

It is YOU that holds an extreme view, so far 'to the right' that everything else looks like an evil, librul conspiracy.

No, my comrade, WashPo is an award-winning news journal well known for separating the wheat from the bullcrap.  

Own your views.  Take responsibility for your opinions and feels.  Stop blaming every little thing on 'teh left'.

12 minutes ago, gonzoliberal said:

Ah, no, it is not.

It is YOU that holds an extreme view, so far 'to the right' that everything else looks like an evil, librul conspiracy.

No, my comrade, WashPo is an award-winning news journal well known for separating the wheat from the bullcrap.  

Own your views.  Take responsibility for your opinions and feels.  Stop blaming every little thing on 'teh left'.

Is Meryl Streep still running it ..???

It would appear that most see the Trump's and their inner circle as easy marks.

3 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Ah, no, it is not.

I do think WashPo is left of center but anything left of far right wingnut is full blown liberal to some on here.

3 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Ah, no, it is not.

It’s honest journalism only among those who live in a world where gender is more so a mindset than a biological characteristic.

44 minutes ago, Manny said:

It’s honest journalism only among those who live in a world where gender is more so a mindset than a biological characteristic.

Why, that there's gibberish...

Focus.

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

I do think WashPo is left of center but anything left of far right wingnut is full blown liberal to some on here.

Some of that left-of-centerness might just be a support of common decency.

1 hour ago, gonzoliberal said:

Why, that there's gibberish...

Focus.

Again, you people live in a bizarro world.