Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

Lamar Jackson?

111 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

An awful lot of people are mocking him to the Ravens at 16. Don't get me wrong, I don't put too much stock into mock drafts, but that would be a hell of a direction shift for this franchise, and I think one that may be sorely needed. I'm not sure I can see it actually coming to fruition though.

Edited by Slidemaster

Posted (edited)

The more I read about Jackson, the more concerned I think I would be if the Ravens took him. I think it's always a bad sign when the first thing people praise about a quarterback coming out of college is his athleticism. I can't think of any quarterback who runs a significant amount that I would take over the best pocket passers. Maybe he just needs the right scheme and the right offensive fit, but since when have the Ravens ever been creative on offense?

Edited by Slidemaster

NO!   This would be a terrible pick.  Jackson is at best questionable as an NFL QB prospect.  If he fell a few rounds later, perhaps.  The Ravens have other needs rather than to take a larger version of RG III.  He's athletic, but his pocket passing is suspect.  Several teams inquired about whether he would be willing to switch to WR.  That's always a concern when a team thinks so highly about your QB skills that they want you to switch positions.  The Ravens have too many other needs than to waste a middle first round pick on a QB that has as much chance of being a bust as he does being a star.  This pick as the last first round pick of Ozzies career would definitely tarnish it.  

An unnamed NFL offensive coordinator said University of Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson won't stick at the position throughout his NFL career.

On Tuesday, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com passed along comments from coaches and scouts about the top QB prospects, and one was quick to shoot down Jackson's potential as a passer.

"He's an awesome athlete. He will not be able to play (quarterback) in this league—mark my words," the offensive coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772458-nfl-oc-lamar-jackson-will-not-be-able-to-play-qb-at-pro-level

Let's see, rg3, kapernick, Bridgewater.....

More than one draft prediction has the Ravens trading down in the first round.

Assuming they don't trade down, it's tough to see the Ravens taking Jackson with their first pick. Not only are there questions as to whether he could ever thrive in the NFL as a pocket passer (as alluded to above), but with Flacco back for at least another year, taking a guy who figures to be a bit of a project initially with a first-round pick would almost be punting on the season. If you're trying to win now, that first round pick has to be a projected starter.

I could see the Ravens drafting McGlinchey from Notre Dame if he's still available, which isn't sexy, but a solid pick nonetheless, or Calvin Ridley if he falls that far. I know there are concerns about his age (24), but given the short shelf life of most NFL players, having a guy for his age 24-29 years on a rookie contract isn't the worst thing in the world.

Having said that, Ozzie will probably take a run-stopping interior lineman from Alabama.

8 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Remember when the option quarterbacks were completely going to change the game?  That lasted about two seasons.  Kind of like the wildcat.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Remember when the option quarterbacks were completely going to change the game?  That lasted about two seasons.  Kind of like the wildcat.

They didn't have a bad showing. 3 SB's, one win. Should have been two. Could have easily been 3. :(

Edited by Pickle20

10 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Let's see, McNabb, Vick, Steve Young

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

They didn't have a bad showing. 3 SB's, one win. Should have been two. Could have easily been 3. :(

There’s nothing wrong with a mobile qb as long as he’s not run first. Russell Wilson averages over 500 yards rushing per season. 

Edited by bmore_ken

12 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I don't consider Russell Wilson the same as RG3 or Kap.  He's a great passer who can make plays with his legs when he needs to.

7 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I don't consider Russell Wilson the same as RG3 or Kap.  He's a great passer who can make plays with his legs when he needs to.

I agree but he came up with that Pistol formation class of QB.

8 hours ago, mdrunning said:

More than one draft prediction has the Ravens trading down in the first round.

Assuming they don't trade down, it's tough to see the Ravens taking Jackson with their first pick. Not only are there questions as to whether he could ever thrive in the NFL as a pocket passer (as alluded to above), but with Flacco back for at least another year, taking a guy who figures to be a bit of a project initially with a first-round pick would almost be punting on the season. If you're trying to win now, that first round pick has to be a projected starter.

I could see the Ravens drafting McGlinchey from Notre Dame if he's still available, which isn't sexy, but a solid pick nonetheless, or Calvin Ridley if he falls that far. I know there are concerns about his age (24), but given the short shelf life of most NFL players, having a guy for his age 24-29 years on a rookie contract isn't the worst thing in the world.

Having said that, Ozzie will probably take a run-stopping interior lineman from Alabama.

It would be ideal if Jackson is there at 16 and teams would try to move up for him. He was linked early to SD, but that's been down played. 

TAKE  SONY MICHEL!!!!!!!!!!! 

HE'S AN IMMEDIATE GAME CHANGER!!!!

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

As I said Wilson averages 500 yards rushing. Has Seattle’s O line been that bad the last 5 or 6 years?

7 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Let's see, McNabb, Vick, Steve Young

Not hardly the same .....

Passing qbs that can run aren't the same as running qbs that don't pass all that well....

5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

As I said Wilson averages 500 yards rushing. Has Seattle’s O line been that bad the last 5 or 6 years?

Yes. He scrambles so much because he has to.

Well, that was interesting.

High risk/high reward...what worries me some is that we have an offense that has been retooled to win now, not necessarily built to last into the Jackson era. I also don't have a lot of faith in this organization to surround him with the talent he needs to succeed on an elite level. But he's an elite talent, no doubt about it.

I'd rather have Moore and Jackson than Hurst and Jackson, but what do I know.

Things are going to be very interesting if Flacco gets off to another slow start...but hopefully this motivates him to play at a higher level.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Marty is quick to pull the trigger on pushing a QB change. He knows he needs a Griffin or Jackson under center for him to personally succeed. Maybe they make some highlight reel plays and score more points, along with a bunch of turnovers. But he'll frame the turnovers as "new system" mistakes that'll improve with more time. But they won't.

Marty can't run a disciplined, dedicated run oriented offense. He needs speed at the QB position to compensate.

Edited by Ravens2006

4 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Marty is quick to pull the trigger on pushing a QB change. He knows he needs a Griffin or Jackson under center for him to personally succeed. Maybe they make some highlight reel plays and score more points, along with a bunch of turnovers. But he'll frame the turnovers as "new system" mistakes that'll improve with more time. But they won't.

Marty can't run a disciplined, dedicated run oriented offense. He needs speed at the QB position to compensate.

And qbs like this can be successful in the short term.....

Teams eventually adjust and they eventually get the snot knocked out of them....

Yea, a running qb can make things happen but eventually some really big, really fast men on the other side make you pay .....

I like the pick, and they can groom him.

25 minutes ago, alienrace said:

I like the pick, and they can groom him.

I agree 

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I agree 

I do too. At worst it should give Flacco a spark in his butt that he has to look over his shoulder for once. But besides that, Jackson has the raw tools to be extremely successful in the NFL. There have been knocks on him for his accuracy, but that could be because of a variety of reasons. When I see him in the pocket he does not have happy feet. He has a good presence there and he seems to be able to read defenses well. I admittedly base this on limited "scouting" but I like what I see.

Posted (edited)

It was a big mistake, what good is he?  Jackson is not an NFL quarterback.  If they really wanted a QB there were better ones out there.  This is just like the Perriman fiasco.  I am so glad this is Ozzie's last year, he will completely degrade the team if he is here any longer.

Edited by Smokey 1

14 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

It was a big mistake, what good is he?  Jackson is not an NFL quarterback.  If they really wanted a QB there were better ones out there.  This is just like the Perriman fiasco.  I am so glad this is Ozzie's last year, he will completely degrade the team if he is here any longer.

What makes you say that he is not an NFL quarterback? There were a few camps that had him as the best in the draft while others had him listed higher on their charts than some quarterbacks drafted before him.

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

What better ones were available at 16? Do you think we should have traded up and lost the ability to take Hurst?

If Jackson was their guy, they played their hand pretty well, getting him at 32.

He has an amazing upside...higher than most QB's drafted recently. Risk? A little... but with big risks come big rewards and this franchise needed that.

If anything, I would rather have Moore and Jackson, but overall it's a pretty good first round. Tons of upside for now, and the future.

Edited by Pickle20