Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

Lamar Jackson?

111 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

What better ones were available at 16? Do you think we should have traded up and lost the ability to take Hurst?

If Jackson was their guy, they played their hand pretty well, getting him at 32.

He has an amazing upside...higher than most QB's drafted recently. Risk? A little... but with big risks come big rewards and this franchise needed that.

If anything, I would rather have Moore and Jackson, but overall it's a pretty good first round. Tons of upside for now, and the future.

I also like Moore very much. I will be at the Baltimore-Carolina game this year. I hope that he doesn't show the Ravens that they made a mistake.

3 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I also like Moore very much. I will be at the Baltimore-Carolina game this year. I hope that he doesn't show the Ravens that they made a mistake.

Steve Smith Sr's praises of Moore was enough for me. Wish we had taken him. We whiffed on one stud MD WR (Diggs) and we probably whiffed on another.

2 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I agree about Moore as well. I was pretty pissed when they drafted a TE that probably could have been had in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

Steve Smith Sr's praises of Moore was enough for me. Wish we had taken him. We whiffed on one stud MD WR (Diggs) and we probably whiffed on another.

It would have been interesting to see who the ravens would have picked at 25 if Moore was still available.

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

I agree about Moore as well. I was pretty pissed when they drafted a TE that probably could have been had in the 2nd round.

To me it all depends on who they pick today and in the 4th round tomorrow. There are a few WRs still out there - not as good as Moore IMO, but still pretty good - and the Ravens can still get someone decent if they want. Losing the second round may mean they will not get Courtland Sutton or James Washington (but if they could somehow get one of them it would be great!). I do agree that OL needs to be addressed as well. Hurst (the RT) does now wow me in any way.

8 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

It would have been interesting to see who the ravens would have picked at 25 if Moore was still available.

I still think they take Jackson. It sounds like Ozzie was sold on him since they met during the combine/pro days.

I think with the FA signings they've made, plus with Hurst, they feel like they can contend this year with Flacco while setting up the future with Jackson a potential franchise QB.

Not a bad plan, but our WR corps will be terrible in a year or two.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I still think they take Jackson. It sounds like Ozzie was sold on him since they met during the combine/pro days.

I think with the FA signings they've made, plus with Hurst, they feel like they can contend this year with Flacco while setting up the future with Jackson a potential franchise QB.

Not a bad plan, but our WR corps will be terrible in a year or two.

I'm sorry. I was speculating who they would take between Moore and Hurst at 25. Jackson was definitely the "surprise pick" Ozzie teased everyone about before the draft.

Edited by NCBirdfan

2 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I'm sorry. I was speculating who they would take between Moore and Hurst. Jackson was definitely the "surprise pick" Ozzie teased everyone about before the draft.

Oh, in that case I think they definitely take Moore.

I thought for sure they'd take Ridley with him being an Alabama guy.

Just now, Pickle20 said:

Oh, in that case I think they definitely take Moore.

I thought for sure they'd take Ridley with him being an Alabama guy.

Well Ridley was available to them when they picked Hurst. I guess they can't get everyone they want, but I would have to imagine the Ravens would have liked Moore to suit up for him if the chips fell their way after trading back.

37 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

What makes you say that he is not an NFL quarterback? There were a few camps that had him as the best in the draft while others had him listed higher on their charts than some quarterbacks drafted before him.

Run option QBs don't make it in the NFL unless they can convert to a pocket passer.

8 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Well Ridley was available to them when they picked Hurst. I guess they can't get everyone they want, but I would have to imagine the Ravens would have liked Moore to suit up for him if the chips fell their way after trading back.

He was still on the board when we traded out the second time, right? I can't remember.

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

What better ones were available at 16? Do you think we should have traded up and lost the ability to take Hurst?

If Jackson was their guy, they played their hand pretty well, getting him at 32.

He has an amazing upside...higher than most QB's drafted recently. Risk? A little... but with big risks come big rewards and this franchise needed that.

If anything, I would rather have Moore and Jackson, but overall it's a pretty good first round. Tons of upside for now, and the future.

They could have taken a really good QB in a later round.  Many of the lower rated QBs are only rated lower because they didn't come from a P5 school.  Where did Flacco play in college?

Edited by Smokey 1

5 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Had the Ravens not traded back, Derwin James would have been a tremendous value at No. 16.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

They could have taken a really good QB in a later round.  Many of the lower rated QBs are only rated lower because they didn't come from a P5 school.  Where did Flacco play in college?

Flacco was also taken in the first round. So was Allen. When the talent is there, it is take in the first round.

They seemed high on Lauletta...but took the player with more talent and upside. Can't blame them.

This will almost certainly be Flacco's last year, so Jackson will be ready to step in...and they didn't want to draft a Mike Glennon.

Edited by Pickle20

Just now, Pickle20 said:

Flacco was also taken in the first round. So was Allen. When the talent is there, it is take in the first round.

They seemed high on Lauletta...but took the player with more talent and upside. Can't blame them.

I've seen Lauletta play and believe he would have been a better choice.

2 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

I've seen Lauletta play and believe he would have been a better choice.

Time will tell.

Lauletta could also be another Mike Glennon.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Time will tell.

Lauletta could also be another Mike Glennon.

I just hope Jackson doesn't turn into another Perriman.  In fact, I hope it is a long, long time before we would even need Jackson.

Edited by Smokey 1

I just hope Jackson doesn't become another Perriman.  In fact, I hope it is a long, long time before we would need Jackson.

That's apples and oranges.

Perriman also came with some big drawbacks. Hands being one of them.

Just now, Pickle20 said:

That's apples and oranges.

Perriman also came with some big drawbacks. Hands being one of them.

Then why draft him?  Ozzie can't retire soon enough. 

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Run option QBs don't make it in the NFL unless they can convert to a pocket passer.

Russell Wilson averages over 500 yards rushing per season. 

Edited by bmore_ken

Just now, bmore_ken said:

Russell Wilson averages over 500 yards rushing per year. 

I should have said "usually" or "generally".  In any event the Ravens would have to re-vamp their entire offense to play his style of QBing.  

22 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

He was still on the board when we traded out the second time, right? I can't remember.

We traded down to 22, Moore went at 24

I should have said "usually" or "generally".  In any event the Ravens would have to re-vamp their entire offense to play his style of QBing.  

Considering what we’ve been seeing on offense the last few years, how is that a bad thing?

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

He averages 34 yards per game in his career.....

He has also never thrown for less than 3100 yards a season or completed less than 61% of his passes in a season . ....

Hardly a run first, option qb......

And he never ran for more than 439 yards in a college season while throwing for more than 3,000 yards each of his last 3 seasons....

Dang, his last year he had 33 td against 4 ints  while completing 72%.....

So please just stop the Russell Wilson comparisons .....

Edited by Eastside Terp

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Difference is, Russell Wilson ran more conventional offenses in college. The read-option was new to him when he went to Seattle.

The fact that Seattle had one of the worst offensive lines in the league last season meant that Wilson had to run out of necessity.