Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

Lamar Jackson?

111 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Then why draft him?  Ozzie can't retire soon enough. 

I didn't like the pick at the time either.

Every GM has his whiffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eastside Terp said:

He averages 34 yards per game in his career.....

He has also never thrown for less than 3100 yards a season or completed less than 61% of his passes in a season . ....

Hardly a run first, option qb......I 

I never said he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdrunning said:

Difference is, Russell Wilson ran more conventional offenses in college. The read-option was new to him when he went to Seattle.

The fact that Seattle had one of the worst offensive lines in the league last season meant that Wilson had to run out of necessity.

His Oline has been horrible his entire career? :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

He was still on the board when we traded out the second time, right? I can't remember.

No, Carolina picked him (24th pick) right before the Ravens pick at 25.

Edited by NCBirdfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

His Oline has been horrible his entire career? :confused:

Wilson tends to hold the ball longer, which is going to make any offensive line's job more difficult, but the point is, the read-option is simply something he can do, but it isn't who he is. In 2016, for example, (and yes, I had to look this up), Wilson only had 17 keepers the entire season on zone reads. It's just something he and Seattle keep in their arsenal so as to make defenses conscious of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Wilson tends to hold the ball longer, which is going to make any offensive line's job more difficult, but the point is, the read-option is simply something he can do, but it isn't who he is. In 2016, for example, (and yes, I had to look this up), Wilson only had 17 keepers the entire season on zone reads. It's just something he and Seattle keep in their arsenal so as to make defenses conscious of it.

With the throwing numbers he has put up his entire career he's clearly a different kind of qb than Jackson ......

He's more like Aaron Rodgers than Lamar Jackson.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I agree about Moore as well. I was pretty pissed when they drafted a TE that probably could have been had in the 2nd round.

 

This is the flaw I'm finding with Harbaugh and Ozzie patting themselves on the back for their "masterful masterpiece" draft. They could've just taken Lamar Jackson at 16 and then picked up Hurst /Gisecki/Goedert (whatever seam stretching TE you want for our 2nd round pick- there wasn't much a difference between them in most ranking I saw ) without sacrificing our 2019 2nd round pick.

So the way I'm looking at it- and someone please correct me- they got Lamar Jackson and a Good TE and gave up our 2nd round pick in 2019 when they could've gotten Lamar Jackson and a Good TE and kept our 2019 2nd round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, poefolks said:

 

This is the flaw I'm finding with Harbaugh and Ozzie patting themselves on the back for their "masterful masterpiece" draft. They could've just taken Lamar Jackson at 16 and then picked up Hurst /Gisecki/Goedert (whatever seam stretching TE you want for our 2nd round pick- there wasn't much a difference between them in most ranking I saw ) without sacrificing our 2019 2nd round pick.

So the way I'm looking at it- and someone please correct me- they got Lamar Jackson and a Good TE and gave up our 2nd round pick in 2019 when they could've gotten Lamar Jackson and a Good TE and kept our 2019 2nd round pick. 

but I think they got 2 extra picks in this draft - a third and a fourth- so I guess they're looking to load up on something, just hope it's offense and not defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Wilson tends to hold the ball longer, which is going to make any offensive line's job more difficult, but the point is, the read-option is simply something he can do, but it isn't who he is. In 2016, for example, (and yes, I had to look this up), Wilson only had 17 keepers the entire season on zone reads. It's just something he and Seattle keep in their arsenal so as to make defenses conscious of it.

For a guy who doesn't run he's had rushing seasons of 

489

539

849

553

259

586

He's also rushed 90 or more times 5 out of his 6 years. Including two seasons over 100 runs. My point is you can still be a mobile qb and throw the ball. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

For a guy who doesn't run he's had rushing seasons of 

489

539

849

553

259

586

He's also rushed 90 or more times 5 out of his 6 years. Including two seasons over 100 runs. My point is you can still be a mobile qb and throw the ball. 

 

Maybe it's because he's a smart runner and doesn't get creamed every time that I don't think of him as a runner in the sense of Vick and RG3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

For a guy who doesn't run he's had rushing seasons of 

489

539

849

553

259

586

He's also rushed 90 or more times 5 out of his 6 years. Including two seasons over 100 runs. My point is you can still be a mobile qb and throw the ball. 

 

Like i said in my earlier post, thats 34 yds a game .....

That's less than 10 yrs a quarter in his career .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Maybe it's because he's a smart runner and doesn't get creamed every time that I don't think of him as a runner in the sense of Vick and RG3. 

Neither do I. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Neither do I. 

And I don't see that in Jackson either. About 80% of his rushing yards came on designed rushing plays with about 20% of his total rushing yards coming from when he was in the pocket. If you look at his stats, he averaged about 300 yards per season from the pocket. That translates to less than 27 yards per game (out of his total of 108 ypg). In other words, the vast majority of Jackson's rushing yards were from plays that were designed for him to run. But when in passing situations he didn't overrun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Like i said in my earlier post, thats 34 yds a game .....

That's less than 10 yrs a quarter in his career .....

That's actually a lot for a QB, second in the NFL behind Newton. And an avg of 3 first downs with his feet.

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure, this will be the most interesting preseason the Ravens have had in a loooooooooong time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

That's actually a lot for a QB, second in the NFL behind Newton. And an avg of 3 first downs with his feet.

My point exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

One thing is for sure, this will be the most interesting preseason the Ravens have had in a loooooooooong time.

Yea, because most teams have given up on the running qbs .....

Vick averaged more than 50 game in his ....

Wilsons is skewed by the 800 yd year .....

Aaron Rodgers has average almost 20 yrs a game in his career ....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Yea, because most teams have given up on the running qbs .....

Vick averaged more than 50 game in his ....

Wilsons is skewed by the 800 yd year .....

Aaron Rodgers has average almost 20 yrs a game in his career ....

 

No, because we have a QB who can realistically start over Flacco.

At the very least it'll be interesting to lay eyes on Jackson in game action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

No, because we have a QB who can realistically start over Flacco.

At the very least it'll be interesting to lay eyes on Jackson in game action.

I didn't mean to quote you.....

That post was in response that Wilson was the second leading rushing qb in the NFL last year .....

Flacco has been terrible for 3 years .......

This might be fun to watch and could be a short term way to win a few games, but running QBs have never had long term success in the NFL ......

(And that's why folks are trying to label Wilson a running qb to point to him).......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

One thing is for sure, this will be the most interesting preseason the Ravens have had in a loooooooooong time.

it's definitely an out of the box pick for Baltimore.

I think Jackson himself would have preferred to go to NOLA and had a little visible disappointment over it.

I'm just not convinced the current coaching staff is going to mesh with his style of play. I don't think he is either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

but I think they got 2 extra picks in this draft - a third and a fourth- so I guess they're looking to load up on something, just hope it's offense and not defense

The meat of this draft is in the middle rounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least it will make the last preseason game worth going to to see Jackson. Might be the only time you see him all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The discussion I heard on TV was that making use of Jackson talents would require a big change in offensive philosophy. I'm sure not attached to the current offensive philosophy (like 3 yard passes on 3rd and 7), but I wonder if the staff is ready, willing, and able to make that change? How would it take place? Specifically, Jackson will be breaking in behind a very different kind of QB. It will be interesting to see how things mesh during the transition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if the offense is stalling out on an important drive, and suddenly Flacco runs off the field, Jackson sets up under center and they fire off some kind of wildcat play? It could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

....

This might be fun to watch and could be a short term way to win a few games, but running QBs have never had long term success in the NFL ......

(And that's why folks are trying to label Wilson a running qb to point to him).......

No folks. Ok not folks me, have shown that Wilson runs more than the average qb. Wilson has 3275 career rushing yards, Flacco, 766 in almost double the seasons. Mobile qb doesn't equal run first qb. It's not like MM or whoever is the OC next year is going to let him run every play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0