Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

Lamar Jackson?

111 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I agree about Moore as well. I was pretty pissed when they drafted a TE that probably could have been had in the 2nd round.

Not surprising whatsoever  that you don’t like Hurst but are high on Jackson. 

Personally I love the Jackson pick at 32. With him being taken in first, we get an extra year of team control. 

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

Personally I love the Jackson pick at 32. With him being taken in first, we get an extra year of team control. 

Well that extra year is meaningless if he's a bust .....

How'd that extra year work out for the skins and rg3....

13 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Doesn’t this apply to every single player in the draft from pick 1 all the way down to the last player drafted? The Giants may have gotten a good running back in the first round but it would be a meaningless pick if he’s a bust. I can do that with every pick.

6 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Doesn’t this apply to every single player in the draft from pick 1 all the way down to the last player drafted? The Giants may have gotten a good running back in the first round but it would be a meaningless pick if he’s a bust. I can do that with every pick.

Yes you can. We just have to see how everyone does once camp begins and then how they play during the season and beyond.

16 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

That goes for every player in the first round. By your logic why draft anyone in the 1st round?

37 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

That goes for every player in the first round. By your logic why draft anyone in the 1st round?

Because you typically get better players un the first round, duh.....

That response was in response to a post saying why it was a great deal to give up draft picks to take him with the last pick of the 1st rather than in the 1st couple of the second round ....

I think the pick is a big roll of the dice and not sure it was worth given up picks for the 5th year .....

If you are arguing he may not be available, that's fair, but that's not what was being discussed when I responded ....

59 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Because you typically get better players un the first round, duh

But they might be a bust.  :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

But they might be a bust.  :rolleyes:

Yep, but you have to if others want them as well.....

No evidence offered that this was the case here, moving up was justified because of the 5th year on contract controll.....

That's the topic, care to address it ....

Edited by Eastside Terp

39 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Yep, but you have to if others want them as well.....

No evidence offered that this was the case here, moving up was justified because of the 5th year on contract controll.....

That's the topic, care to address it ....

I believe it was a good move by the Ravens. But if he is a bust, then it would suck.

I look at it this way, I don't think the move back in to the first round is that big a deal one way or the other because the position is QB.  They are likely going to give him every opportunity even if he doesn't live up to expectations.  The move is a risky one no matter what, but it is that way for every team that took a QB in the first round.  With that position, as we have seen before (aka, Kyle Boller), either you get it right or you can set your franchise back at least 5 years or more.  I have no problem with the way the Ravens maneuvered to get the pick.  I think that is one of Ozzie Newsome's biggest strenghs, wheeling, dealing, and positioning with draft picks.  My only issue is with the player the pick was used on.  I've already voiced my opinion on that, I'll let it play out now.   The Ravens have given Perriman every chance even though he is an obvious bust because he was a first round pick so you can bet Jackson will be here at least for all 5 years of his contract, probably as a starter beginning in 2019.  

I think that that Ravens had to take a TE at 25 because the Falcons who picked 26th needed a TE. I also  believe if Ravens didnt get Jackson, the Giants who picked 2nd in 2nd round may of been interested. Giants did draft a QB in 4th I think. 

I wanted ravens to pick Jackson. For once I think it will be exciting to watch a ravens offense when he gets a chance to play. 

11 hours ago, Dub said:

I think that that Ravens had to take a TE at 25 because the Falcons who picked 26th needed a TE. I also  believe if Ravens didnt get Jackson, the Giants who picked 2nd in 2nd round may of been interested. Giants did draft a QB in 4th I think. 

I wanted ravens to pick Jackson. For once I think it will be exciting to watch a ravens offense when he gets a chance to play. 

Hurst wouldn't have lasted to the Ravens pick in the 2nd.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

I believe it was a good move by the Ravens. But if he is a bust, then it would suck.

Any player could be a bust. You don't know until they hit the field( I have Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch on hold). The thing is he's not being thrown to the wolves. Before he possibly becomes the starter, he'll have two training camps under his belt as well as a whole season of practice and learning whatever weak offensive scheme MM puts out there. If the plan is to move on from Flacco, you had to draft a qb and he was the best of what was left. My only concern is if Harbs and MM will even be here next year and he has to learn a completely new playbook, That's not an ideal situation for a new starting qb.

Edited by bmore_ken

On 4/27/2018 at 9:18 PM, Manny said:

I like the Jackson pick as well. They need a change from the predictable offense they've had for years and it starts at the QB position.

I think he has a lot of potential and I hope he gets some snaps this year-Harbaugh has a tendency to baby rookies and I'm glad they have a QB coach and MM isn't it.

Harbaugh certainly didn't baby rookie QBs......the one he drafted ten years ago started Game 1 of both of their careers

Would have the reports said on Jackson's coachability?  What kind of leader is he?

5 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Harbaugh certainly didn't baby rookie QBs......the one he drafted ten years ago started Game 1 of both of their careers

That was mainly due to injuries.

7 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

Would have the reports said on Jackson's coachability?  What kind of leader is he?

Im reading he's a coach's dream. Humble kid and very hungry to get better. There was a reason guys like Belichick and Sean Payton were spending so much time on him. He presents the ultimate talent. Imagine if he's driven and willing to learn?

Here's an article about him where you glean lot of his bad habits in college are bc Petrino coached him that way.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/24/lamar-jacksons-qb-coach-helping-him-navigate-his-nfl-path-and-undo-some-mechanical-flaws/aou2ze0/

It will take time I think but if he's dedicated and with the right coaching theres no limit to what he'll accomplish in the NFL. 

Flacco has never been pin point accurate either so Jackson's deficiency in that area doesn't concern me as much as him getting hurt.  The very thing that makes him dangerous and explosive in the open field is also what can send him to IR in a hurry.  If he can somehow harness his talents, learn to operate from the pocket efficiently, run when he has daylight and keep defenses and DC's up at night, the Ravens have their quarterback of the future.  Just stay healthy and learn the nuances of professional football.  

10 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

By default. Flacco would have never seen the field that year if the two guys in front of him didn’t get sick and injured. Harbs had no choice. 

17 minutes ago, Duckey said:

Flacco has never been pin point accurate either so Jackson's deficiency in that area doesn't concern me as much as him getting hurt.  The very thing that makes him dangerous and explosive in the open field is also what can send him to IR in a hurry.  If he can somehow harness his talents, learn to operate from the pocket efficiently, run when he has daylight and keep defenses and DC's up at night, the Ravens have their quarterback of the future.  Just stay healthy and learn the nuances of professional football.  

And there’s no reason why he can’t do that. 

2 hours ago, poefolks said:

Im reading he's a coach's dream. Humble kid and very hungry to get better. There was a reason guys like Belichick and Sean Payton were spending so much time on him. He presents the ultimate talent. Imagine if he's driven and willing to learn?

Here's an article about him where you glean lot of his bad habits in college are bc Petrino coached him that way.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/24/lamar-jacksons-qb-coach-helping-him-navigate-his-nfl-path-and-undo-some-mechanical-flaws/aou2ze0/

It will take time I think but if he's dedicated and with the right coaching theres no limit to what he'll accomplish in the NFL. 

If that's the case then he could be a great one.

I think Jackson has the tools and the mindset.  He is sturdier than RG3, but he needs to play more like Russell Wilson or Steve Young than Michael Vick or he will have a short career.  He could start as early as 2019 depending on what happens this year.  

39 minutes ago, alienrace said:

I think Jackson has the tools and the mindset.  He is sturdier than RG3, but he needs to play more like Russell Wilson or Steve Young than Michael Vick or he will have a short career.  He could start as early as 2019 depending on what happens this year.  

I'm sure they are going to teach him how important it is to slide before getting hit. I listened to him talk and he doesn't seem all that smart to me. I hope he will be able to read defenses