Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

Lamar Jackson?

111 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

I'm sure they are going to teach him how important it is to slide before getting hit. I listened to him talk and he doesn't seem all that smart to me. I hope he will be able to read defenses

OldFan is that you?

13 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Harbaugh certainly didn't baby rookie QBs......the one he drafted ten years ago started Game 1 of both of their careers

yes, because the 2 guys ahead of him were injured as I recall....

Yeah Flacco starting in 2008 was more about Boller and Smith being injured.

58 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

I listened to him talk and he doesn't seem all that smart to me. I hope he will be able to read defenses

Yea but at end of the day it ain't rocket science. He just needs to grasp concepts and learn the playbook and when to apply the concepts. He has great football instinct- so not worried as much on that front as I am his mechanics and threat for injury...

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, alienrace said:

I think Jackson has the tools and the mindset.  He is sturdier than RG3, but he needs to play more like Russell Wilson or Steve Young than Michael Vick or he will have a short career.  He could start as early as 2019 depending on what’s happens this year.  

I think he starts regardless of what happens this year. Unless Flacco turns in a Brady type performance (and there’s no reason to believe he will), I don’t see the team carrying that $25M cap number next season. A post June cut saves $12m against the cap. 

Edited by bmore_ken

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I think he starts regardless of what happens this year. Unless Flacco turns in a Brady type performance (and there’s no reason to believe he will), I don’t see the team carrying that $25M cap number next season. A post June cut saves $12m against the cap. 

I think it depends on a few factors.  If Joe doesn't play well, or continues his mediocrity, it's a lock that they cut him next June and Jackson is given the reigns.  Conversely, if he takes them deep into the playoffs and has a really good, or great year, I could see them renegotiating his contract to try and give Jackson another year or two of development.  I'm having a hard time seeing Joe playing past 36.  

Also, if Jackson looks really good in preseason, or winds up seeing some PT this year and plays really well, that changes things as well for 2019.  

No question Jackson is the future, the only question that remains is how soon the new era starts.

49 minutes ago, alienrace said:

I think it depends on a few factors.  If Joe doesn't play well, or continues his mediocrity, it's a lock that they cut him next June and Jackson is given the reigns.  Conversely, if he takes them deep into the playoffs and has a really good, or great year, I could see them renegotiating his contract to try and give Jackson another year or two of development.  I'm having a hard time seeing Joe playing past 36.  

Also, if Jackson looks really good in preseason, or winds up seeing some PT this year and plays really well, that changes things as well for 2019.  

No question Jackson is the future, the only question that remains is how soon the new era starts.

The problem with that is your cap down the road. Renegotiating is definitely pushing what will become dead money further down the road. If Flacco is cut next year, we're on the hook for $8M for 2019 and 2020. We're off the hook for 2021. Unless Flacco is taking a major pay cut, you're pushing money beyond 2020. I'm not sure that's how Acosta wants to start his era. 

Problem is how do you make a clean transition from a quintessential pocket qb with no mobility to a mobile with questions about his pocket ability .....

Need different skill sets around him, plays, etc because flacco can't run the plays that leverage Jackson's skills....

Maybe the plays they put in for rg3 will help the transition .... 

I would be happy if Lamar could play like Steve mcnair ......

I don't see him being another wilson.....

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Problem is how do you make a clean transition from a quintessential pocket qb with no mobility to a mobile with questions about his pocket ability .....

Need different skill sets around him, plays, etc because flacco can't run the plays that leverage Jackson's skills....

Maybe the plays they put in for rg3 will help the transition .... 

I would be happy if Lamar could play like Steve mcnair ......

I don't see him being another wilson.....

Morningweg has worked with mobile QBs. 

9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Morningweg has worked with mobile QBs. 

And teams that were built around them....

Just reading Preston, said something similar .....

Just have to wait until Joe is done then build around Jackson.....

"While Flacco is silent, the town is buzzing about Jackson. People are asking questions about how much Jackson will play this season and whether the Ravens will put in special packages for him.

That’s what we don’t need to see. Wildcat offenses indicate unproductive offenses. It’s tough enough watching Mornhinweg tinker with his current offense much less changing it to compensate for Jackson’s skill set. That could be ugly."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-jackson-20180430-story.html

I think it will be more like what happened in Kansas City- Alex Smith had one year left with the Chiefs primarily due to contract costs-it was then up to him to attract a future team-so if he wanted to play in 2019 he had to play like it in 2018 but he was being cut by the Chiefs regardless.

The Raven's draft very intentionally. There's no way they jump back into Round 1 because they're looking to ditch Mallett, IMHO.