Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikemor1

Draft Thread

238 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Two more years of Flacco, two more years of missing the playoffs

Who were the Ravens going to get that would be better than him?  They didn't draft high enough to get one of the four potential good QBs this year, there aren't many FAs available, and it's almost impossible to trade for a legitimate top QB.  Unless they tank to 3-13 they are going to have to find a QB for the future with a later round pick.  

13 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

they at least have to give him some weapons to succeed.

Have they? 

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Have they? 

you just got your guy Ken!

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Have they? 

and the answer to that I would say is no

Just now, mikemor1 said:

you just got your guy Ken!

Go Bmore, it's your birthday :)

25 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Two more years of Flacco, two more years of missing the playoffs

The Ravens just traded up and drafted Lamar Jackson!

Not sure what they traded, but they wasted one of the picks they acquired, imo.  If he replaces Flacco, the Ravens will have a superbowl drought for years to come.  

Just now, cprenegade said:

Not sure what they traded, but they wasted one of the picks they acquired, imo.  If he replaces Flacco, the Ravens will have a superbowl drought for years to come.  

He's not replacing Flacco this season.

Hoooo boy.

Welp...this season just got more interesting.

1 minute ago, cprenegade said:

that's a good question, what did they trade?

1 minute ago, cprenegade said:

It's not like they were making regular appearances.

Posted (edited)

I actually kind of like this.  DeShaun Watson was a monster last year.  Flacco had a good run, but it's time for a change.  What's the worst that could happen - they don't make the playoffs again?

Edited by Slidemaster

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

I just want to know how this affects RGIII. ;)

I know you're being funny, but I said after he was signed there was no guarantee he would suit up in week 1

Just now, Slidemaster said:

I actually kind of like this.  DeShaun Watson was a monster last year.  Flacco had a good run, but it's time for a change.

Holy crap , we agree on something :huh:

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

He's not replacing Flacco this season.

I wouldn't expect it, but when they do replace him it makes sense to replace him with a pocket passer who can play at the NFL level.  IMO, that is not Jackson.  I would have rather seen them go for Macon Rudolph.  But we shall see.  He's probably good enough to be another Tyrod Taylor, but that's about it.  He's going to excite some fans with his ability to run and make some plays, but in the end good defenses will clamp that down and force him to throw from the pocket where he will come up short.  

Just now, Slidemaster said:

It's not like they were making regular appearances.

No, but most of that is because they have neglected the offense for quite some time, and mostly the WR position.  Loved their first pick and the way they maneuvered around to get it, hated the second one.  I will be glad to say I was wrong when Jackson is leading the league in passing and hoisting a Lombardi trophy.  Just really don't believe either of them will ever happen.  

10 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I just want to know how this affects RGIII. ;)

I doubt the Ravens keep 3 QBs so it probably means he will be around in camp and for the preseason games and will end up a victim to the final cuts.  

Posted (edited)

Interesting pick, but I wouldn't expect Jackson to see the field very much this year even if Flacco struggles. He simply isn't a plug-and-play type because he'll need a completely different system than the one the Ravens currently use (whatever it is.) 

By trading back into the first round to acquire Jackson, however, the Ravens did retain the fifth-year option on his contract.

Edited by mdrunning

4 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Interesting pick, but I wouldn't expect Jackson to see the field very much this year even if Flacco struggles. He simply isn't a plug-and-play type because he'll need a completely different system than the one the Ravens currently use (whatever it is.) 

By trading back into the first round to acquire Jackson, however, the Ravens did retain the fifth-year option on his contract.

Bottom line is they dont trade up to get him if they aren't going to give him ample opportunity to be their guy.

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I think they gave up a 2019 second-round pick.

Edited by mdrunning

6 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

Bottom line is they dont trade up to get him if they aren't going to give him ample opportunity to be their guy.

I never said they weren't going to give him a chance; what I did say is that if people starting clamoring for Jackson to start next season, it isn't going to be a smooth transition because Jackson is not your prototypical pocket passer. 

If nothing else, the immediate impact of this pick is it creates interest, which I'm sure the Ravens are hoping translates into more fannies in the seats. Quarterback controversies are always good for business.

16 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I never said they weren't going to give him a chance; what I did say is that if people starting clamoring for Jackson to start next season, it isn't going to be a smooth transition because Jackson is not your prototypical pocket passer. 

If nothing else, the immediate impact of this pick is it creates interest, which I'm sure the Ravens are hoping translates into more fannies in the seats. Quarterback controversies are always good for business.

There’s no qb controversy. Flacco will be under center in September. It was pretty much known this was his last season here unless he took a major pay cut in 2019. Maybe he’ll consider that now that his replacement is here. If not, they have a whole season to get Jackson ready. 

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

There’s no qb controversy. Flacco will be under center in September. It was pretty much known this was his last season here unless he took a major pay cut in 2019. Maybe he’ll consider that now that his replacement is here. If not, they have a whole season to get Jackson ready. 

The first time Flacco has a bad game, there will be a QB controversy.