Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Why is traffic so bad in Baltimore?

142 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I apologize for tagging you with that.....but I know someone here did...MM? No matter. 

The whole Mikulski/70 thing to me has over the years taken on 'urban legend' proportions. You can read 5 different articles and find 20 different reasons why she stepped in and stopped it. However ....and I again can be wrong....it seems that when I moved down here in the 80's the top of the list was how the lower class and poor on the west side were having entire neighborhoods literally destroyed for 70. And as always...it was too little too late when it was stopped....the area had already been trashed.

The path that was cut I think was referred to as Baltimore's Berlin Wall. 

Baltimore’s DOT handles city roads. The state, MDOT handles mass transit (not the circulators). The state gives the city money to partially fund Baltimore DOT. 

SHA handles all numbered state routes outside city limits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I apologize for tagging you with that.....but I know someone here did...MM? No matter. 

The whole Mikulski/70 thing to me has over the years taken on 'urban legend' proportions. You can read 5 different articles and find 20 different reasons why she stepped in and stopped it. However ....and I again can be wrong....it seems that when I moved down here in the 80's the top of the list was how the lower class and poor on the west side were having entire neighborhoods literally destroyed for 70. And as always...it was too little too late when it was stopped....the area had already been trashed.

The path that was cut I think was referred to as Baltimore's Berlin Wall. 

Ugh, it still makes me angry. The damage was done, so you stop the highway from being built to right that wrong?  What were people thinking back then?

We're paying for it now. I think Baltimore traffic has surpassed DC traffic. And is it me or has the west-side portion of 695 by 70/40/Edmonson Ave been under construction since the 1990's? It sure does feel that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

As you can see.... I threw in the towel.

I figure I will just edit quotes like everyone else....much easier. 

As long as you make clear what is yours and what is the poster's you're quoting (as you clearly did), no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Baltimore’s DOT handles city roads. The state, MDOT handles mass transit (not the circulators). The state gives the city money to partially fund Baltimore DOT. 

SHA handles all numbered state routes outside city limits. 

And MdTA (Maryland Transportation Authority, not to be confused with MTA), handles I-95, I-395, and I-895.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

:D I lived in NJ for over 30 years and a lot of time around Seaside Heights, Midway and the Wildwoods.

Do you know about the 'Pine Barrens Devil'?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

Not to turn this into a New Jersey thread, but yes, I grew up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baltimatt said:

And MdTA (Maryland Transportation Authority, not to be confused with MTA), handles I-95, I-395, and I-895.

Correct the toll roads including bay and key bridges. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Ugh, it still makes me angry. The damage was done, so you stop the highway from being built to right that wrong?  What were people thinking back then?

We're paying for it now. I think Baltimore traffic has surpassed DC traffic. And is it me or has the west-side portion of 695 by 70/40/Edmonson Ave been under construction since the 1990's? It sure does feel that way.

Enough damage was done, but they didn't want any more damage to Leakin Park, which is like a rural oasis in the city.

Edited by Baltimatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Enough damage was done, but they didn't want any more damage to Leakin Park, which is like a rural oasis in the city.

I sense sarcasm.

It's an oasis for body dumping.

And those bodies could have still been dumped beneath a beautiful overpass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought:

Traffic in Baltimore was bad in the 70's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pickle20 said:

I sense sarcasm.

It's an oasis for body dumping.

And those bodies could have still been dumped beneath a beautiful overpass.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pickle20 said:

I sense sarcasm.

It's an oasis for body dumping.

And those bodies could have still been dumped beneath a beautiful overpass.

The Gwynns Falls trail goes through there. Haven’t heard a lot about bodies being dumped there recently. Nowadays hey don’t dump. They just shoot and leave em there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

The Gwynns Falls trail goes through there. Haven’t heard a lot about bodies being dumped there recently. Nowadays hey don’t dump. They just shoot and leave em there. 

Or dump them in Harford County.  I think there was some kind of story about that years ago.

Edited by Baltimatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baltimatt said:

Or dump them in Harford County.

That happens more than we know about.

Leakin Park was made famous for the body of the Asian girl dumped by her boyfriend infamous for the pod cast.  (Sadiat)?

 

Don't think its a dumping ground for bodies as the poster claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That happens more than we know about.

Leakin Park was made famous for the body of the Asian girl dumped by her boyfriend infamous for the pod cast.  (Sadiat)?

 

Don't think its a dumping ground for bodies as the poster claims.

Adnan dumped Hae's body there. I remember growing up and hearing that bodies were regularly dumped there but I might be mis-remembering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Ugh, it still makes me angry. The damage was done, so you stop the highway from being built to right that wrong?  What were people thinking back then?

We're paying for it now. I think Baltimore traffic has surpassed DC traffic. And is it me or has the west-side portion of 695 by 70/40/Edmonson Ave been under construction since the 1990's? It sure does feel that way.

Back then.....I am pretty sure they were thinking 'regional progress' at all costs. The weren't thinking about 'civil rights' so much. IMO.

Yes, the west side. As  you know I live in Woodlawn...the Security Blvd exit. It is always a mess and always backed up and always under repair or expansion. When I first moved here...yes the were Rush hours. But there were lulls. Now...it is Rush hour 24/7 it seems. My wife and I used to 'time' our trips that needed the beltway to avoid it....now....it doesn't matter.

For the gooberment suggestion box: Dear Whomever; I would like to suggested that when there is not an 'Amber alert' or ' A ball game alert'....why not use those very expensive over the road electronic signs to say...big an loud....blinking....

YOU ARE APPROACHING A HILL....PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION AND MAINTAIN SPEED....YOU MORON. 

From experience most all the backups are caused by idiots in LaLa land and/or texting and don't maintain speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

Adnan dumped Hae's body there. I remember growing up and hearing that bodies were regularly dumped there but I might be mis-remembering.

Not sure how old you are, but yeah I used to hear the same thing. Just haven't heard much about them in recent years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ODENTON said:

Just a thought:

Traffic in Baltimore was bad in the 70's.

According to my wife who was living in Catonsville when the Beltway was finally finished....late and over budget.....that it was already way behind traffic flow needs. 

And they have been playing catchup ever since.

I like to know what geniuses come up with a plan now....to widen the main beltway sections to say to 8 lanes.....only to have them narrow down to 6 (or less) because of an overpass.....then only to go back to 8.....and repeat. 

smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Not sure how old you are, but yeah I used to hear the same thing. Just haven't heard much about them in recent years. 

And with good reasons.....the thugs figured out that killing someone and then transporting them is a problem waiting to happen.

Now in Shootthemmore....they just leave the body in the streets and let the city take care of it. 

Very smart business plan if you ask me. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

And with good reasons.....the thugs figured out that killing someone and then transporting them is a problem waiting to happen.

Now in Shootthemmore....they just leave the body in the streets and let the city take care of it. 

Very smart business plan if you ask me. :lol:

You missed on some low-hanging fruit. Bodymore, Murdaland is much more appropriate, and was featured on the opening credits of The Wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

You missed on some low-hanging fruit. Bodymore, Murdaland is much more appropriate, and was featured on the opening credits of The Wire.

Seeing as how I never watched The Wire.....it was easy to overlook. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Seeing as how I never watched The Wire.....it was easy to overlook. :D

The Wire is mandatory viewing for anyone living in the Baltimore metro area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

The Wire is mandatory viewing for anyone living in the Baltimore metro area.

I missed the memo. Could you forward a copy to me. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

The Wire is mandatory viewing for anyone living in the Baltimore metro area.

I only saw the 1st season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That happens more than we know about.

Leakin Park was made famous for the body of the Asian girl dumped by her boyfriend infamous for the pod cast.  (Sadiat)?

 

Don't think its a dumping ground for bodies as the poster claims.

Syed

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The Wire is mandatory viewing for anyone living in the Baltimore metro area.

You know ... I was thinking....maybe I can find it on the net or firestik ...but do  you REALLY want me to watch it and have even more reason to believe that the city is a cesspool? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0