Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Why is traffic so bad in Baltimore?

142 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Back then.....I am pretty sure they were thinking 'regional progress' at all costs. The weren't thinking about 'civil rights' so much. IMO.

Yes, the west side. As  you know I live in Woodlawn...the Security Blvd exit. It is always a mess and always backed up and always under repair or expansion. When I first moved here...yes the were Rush hours. But there were lulls. Now...it is Rush hour 24/7 it seems. My wife and I used to 'time' our trips that needed the beltway to avoid it....now....it doesn't matter.

For the gooberment suggestion box: Dear Whomever; I would like to suggested that when there is not an 'Amber alert' or ' A ball game alert'....why not use those very expensive over the road electronic signs to say...big an loud....blinking....

YOU ARE APPROACHING A HILL....PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION AND MAINTAIN SPEED....YOU MORON. 

From experience most all the backups are caused by idiots in LaLa land and/or texting and don't maintain speed. 

What you mentioned made me think of something while headed on 695E on Saturday. Whats up with the slow down in traffic between Dulaney Valley Rd & Loch Raven Blvd.??

This was 2:30 in the afternoon on Saturday. No traffic problems until a slow down between those spots. Now rush hour is expected, but no road work was seen, no broken down vehicles. Its just odd about that area.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

What you mentioned made me think of something while headed on 695E on Saturday. Whats up with the slow down in traffic between Dulaney Valley Rd & Loch Raven Blvd.??

This was 2:30 in the afternoon on Saturday. No traffic problems until a slow down between those spots. Now rush hour is expected, but no road work was seen, no broken down vehicles. Its just odd about that area.

That whole area especially going east is messed up.....starting before 83.

They don't have hills necessarialy.....but the have what I call....lazy dips.....you go down a slight hill...the driver falls asleep....just putts along ....then hits the upside and does nothing. Well except in stay on one of the two left hand lanes......playing with themselves. 

Then we have the flight formations.....everyone texting...putting along....

Times like that I wish I had James Bonds Aston Martin with the machine guns in front. 

Edited by Guido2

48 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I only saw the 1st season...

I saw the first and the last couple episodes.

Don't get how It's "mandatory viewing for Baltimore residents" since most of us watch the news and read the papers back then and were quite aware what goes on in the city.

37 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I saw the first and the last couple episodes.

Don't get how It's "mandatory viewing for Baltimore residents" since most of us watch the news and read the papers back then and were quite aware what goes on in the city.

I think it's mandatory viewing just for the settings.  Trying to figure out the bars they go to is a fun challenge.  Plus it's one of the best written shows ever.

Just now, ivanbalt said:

I think it's mandatory viewing just for the settings.  Trying to figure out the bars they go to is a fun challenge.  Plus it's one of the best written shows ever.

I can see that and had some fun with that for the few episodes I saw.

But frankly it was so depressing that mess goes on less than 30 minutes from my home I couldn't really get into it like other series I would watch

5 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I can see that and had some fun with that for the few episodes I saw.

But frankly it was so depressing that mess goes on less than 30 minutes from my home I couldn't really get into it like other series I would watch

"The Corner" was a far more depressing show set in Baltimore.  I got through maybe two episodes.

2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

You know ... I was thinking....maybe I can find it on the net or firestik ...but do  you REALLY want me to watch it and have even more reason to believe that the city is a cesspool? :lol:

Well...it doesn't make the city look like a paradise, but it does offer a sobering look at people on both sides of the war on drugs and presents them all as human beings, with real motivations and behaviors based on their experiences and upbringing. It probably won't sway you on anything, but it does give you more of a perspective.

50 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

"The Corner" was a far more depressing show set in Baltimore.  I got through maybe two episodes.

Never saw it. Been meaning to, though.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

This. Exactly this.

Baltimore is what it is, just embrace the fact that one of the best shows of all time is set here and explores its problems.

Edited by Pickle20

I loved The Wire, except for the last season when I feel it lost some of its mojo. And you all need to do yourselves a favor and watch The Corner miniseries in its entirety. Depressing to say the least, but an uncompromising examination into how the scourge of drugs destroys individuals, families, and communities.

Thanks in large part to old Baltimore Sun crime reporter David Simon, a stunning amount of quality literature and TV programming centering on Baltimore has been produced. Homicide, The Corner, and The Wire--each of them outstanding in its own way.

2 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

I loved The Wire, except for the last season when I feel it lost some of its mojo. And you all need to do yourselves a favor and watch The Corner miniseries in its entirety. Depressing to say the least, but an uncompromising examination into how the scourge of drugs destroys individuals, families, and communities.

Thanks in large part to old Baltimore Sun crime reporter David Simon, a stunning amount of quality literature and TV programming centering on Baltimore has been produced. Homicide, The Corner, and The Wire--each of them outstanding in its own way.

Sounds uplifting! :(

2 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Well....look on the bright side. I am sure that across the nation, Professors at Major Universities are using the shows as examples of not to do when doing social engineering and city goooberment. :lol:

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

I made it to one:D.

If I want to be depressed about urban blight and crime in Bmore I just watch the local news.  And that gets tiresome depressing.

16 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Nope, not very uplifting. No ABC after school specials here. But incredible writing and acting while shining an uncompromising light on the devastation of drugs in this city.

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

If I want to be depressed about urban blight and crime in Bmore I just watch the local news.  And that gets tiresome depressing.

Kinda funny you say that. My wife and I used to watch the local news all the time then national.

But we found out the news was sort of on a loop.........so why watch..................typical local news clip IMO. 

There was a homicide....blah .....and the Mayor....bleep boop....blah....two people were shot....blah....Commissioner says we a coming up with a strategy....blah blah...city lost money dinky doo blah blah....... ....just in....... another shooting at.....blahdee blahdee blah.....3 people died from overdoses....bla..bleep blahhh..... more money needed...blahh blah.... an new program is planned....dinkieto do....blah blah...Mayor walks neighborhood.....complaining about guns and rugs....meanwhile the security team double checked there Glocks.....dinke do blahh blahhhh

And the O's lost again. 

But the peregrine falcons are nesting again....here is the cam link. 

Sad huh. 

Edited by Guido2

22 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Occupational requirements called for me to work the city for years, and rarely not in the parts known for the "renaissance." The local news avoids the facts as if it were the plague. 

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Occupational requirements called for me to work the city for years, and rarely not in the parts known for the "renaissance." The local news avoids the facts as if it were the plague. 

I dunno.....see my post above.....the channels I watched that was pretty much it.

OH MY GOD.....are you really saying that there are places worse than what then local news reports?

I believe. it. 

Edited by Guido2

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

I dunno.....see my post above.....the channels I watched that was pretty much it.

OH MY GOD.....are you really saying that there are places worse than what then local news reports?

I believe. it. 

He double hockey sticks yes. My colleagues as well as myself have been shot at and missed, and ****xt  at and hit (to borrow a term). Mostly because we were white guys, and the 'hood didn't like us there for any reason, even if we were trying to do some little bit of good.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

He double hockey sticks yes. My colleagues as well as myself have been shot at and missed, and ****xt  at and hit (to borrow a term). Mostly because we were white guys, and the 'hood didn't like us there for any reason, even if we were trying to do some little bit of good.

I give you credit....that takes guts.

But it is a fool's errand. 

Next time bring some 9mm ammo in bulk. They will like you more. 

they want their lifestyle....eos. 

Edited by Guido2

17 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Enough of the facts come out on the local news to depress me.  Like kids being shot and killed in the crossfire, a mother and a number of her children burned to death because the mother wanted the city to protect her and her family and they failed,,,etc.

7 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

Great post Pepper, thank you. 

AA County is a mess with traffic and development is out of control. Getting in and out of Pasadena is ridiculous. They need to widen Rt. 100 from Mountain Road down to 97. Then of course you have Arundel Mills to contend with which always have heavy traffic and no signs of development slowing down. 

Come on September, I can't wait to get out of here.  

Arundel Mills is one of our clients, and they're currently adding a 17 story hotel, and some other developments the public isn't supposed to know about. You'd be surprised how often developments are planned that we are told not to mention outside the office. 

Anyway, back in the 80's Baltimore started installing cameras and a system to manipulate lights in certain intersections. But it's not like in The Italian Job, where a nerd can throw all the lights green or red to facilitate a heist, or just a commute. The actual problem is volume and inconsiderate drivers. Any attempt to mess with flow at one signal will only cause massive issues up and down the line so it's almost never done that way. Typically, signals are fixed or adjusted from the control box at the site. I've been in the field with signal pros at places like 24 and 95, and I wouldn't touch a thing, but you could easily switch all movements to red or green for some GTA 5 style mayhem. Thing is, people that go into those boxes are liable so it doesn't happen. 

Most intersections are now using camera detection which is a huge improvement over the old in ground loop detectors. (loop detectors are wires in the ground that sense your cars magnetic field to trigger a phase. Doesn't always work for motorcycles)

Theres also a device called an Opticon, that can actually sense the lights from an approaching emergency vehicle and give them the green. And theres tech that will probably become a fixture, where your car communicates with the signal, and will automatically brake to prevent running a red light. 

Sorry for the long winded posts on this thread. My wife just asked if I was writing a book..

7 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Not to turn this into a New Jersey thread, but yes, I grew up here.

I think this will be our 10th summer in OCNJ, and I'm counting the days. 

7 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Back then.....I am pretty sure they were thinking 'regional progress' at all costs. The weren't thinking about 'civil rights' so much. IMO.

Yes, the west side. As  you know I live in Woodlawn...the Security Blvd exit. It is always a mess and always backed up and always under repair or expansion. When I first moved here...yes the were Rush hours. But there were lulls. Now...it is Rush hour 24/7 it seems. My wife and I used to 'time' our trips that needed the beltway to avoid it....now....it doesn't matter.

For the gooberment suggestion box: Dear Whomever; I would like to suggested that when there is not an 'Amber alert' or ' A ball game alert'....why not use those very expensive over the road electronic signs to say...big an loud....blinking....

YOU ARE APPROACHING A HILL....PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION AND MAINTAIN SPEED....YOU MORON. 

From experience most all the backups are caused by idiots in LaLa land and/or texting and don't maintain speed. 

Can I get a "slower traffic move right"?

1 hour ago, pepper said:

Can I get a "slower traffic move right"?

How about 'Numb nut....text at home....drive. 

12 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

Great post Pepper, thank you. 

AA County is a mess with traffic and development is out of control. Getting in and out of Pasadena is ridiculous. They need to widen Rt. 100 from Mountain Road down to 97. Then of course you have Arundel Mills to contend with which always have heavy traffic and no signs of development slowing down. 

Come on September, I can't wait to get out of here.  

Odenton was once a sleepy old town.......now😳. RT 100 needs widening past AMs and RT97 evening rush hour is backed up from RT50 to RT32. They seem to be developing but doing nothing with the roads. There’s a WaWa in Gambrills in the middle of 301 and Royal Farms are planning to build directly across from the WaWa. It’s going to be a royal mess.