Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Why is traffic so bad in Baltimore?

142 posts in this topic

My father and countless others of his generation never owned a car in Baltimore until the crooked automobile lobby did away with one of the most efficient streetcar systems in the U.S. 

18 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

"The Corner" was a far more depressing show set in Baltimore.  I got through maybe two episodes.

It was depressing but it was closest to reality than the other Baltimore shows. The "corners" of Baltimore are depressing for those who live there and those who travel on by. The show addressed drug addiction crisis long before it was the cause of the day. 

8 hours ago, volperdinger said:

My father and countless others of his generation never owned a car in Baltimore until the crooked automobile lobby did away with one of the most efficient streetcar systems in the U.S. 

I wish I could have been around to see how the streetcar network worked. It would have been awesome taking the #8 streetcar from Paradise to Baltimore for O's games when I was kid, and when you were allowed to bring coolers to Memorial Stadium.

11 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

I wish I could have been around to see how the streetcar network worked. It would have been awesome taking the #8 streetcar from Paradise to Baltimore for O's games when I was kid, and when you were allowed to bring coolers to Memorial Stadium.

The No 8 actually went all the way to Ellicott City. Imagine a city transit system that reached all the way to that rural outpost, and that was just one leg of the system. 

29 minutes ago, volperdinger said:

The No 8 actually went all the way to Ellicott City. Imagine a city transit system that reached all the way to that rural outpost, and that was just one leg of the system. 

Yes....something like that would be a boon to all the thugs in the city looking for more fertile areas to plunder. :D

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Yes....something like that would be a boon to all the thugs in the city looking for more fertile areas to plunder. :D

I lived in Linthicum at the time the light rail expanded there. We were assured that that the projections that guaranteed an increase in violent crime were just a myth. The payment system at the time, was the honor system. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

13 hours ago, Guido2 said:

A 12 MPH streetcar makes for the perfect getaway vehicle. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

A 12 MPH streetcar makes for the perfect getaway vehicle. :rolleyes:

Easier to jump off of. Light rail goes too fast.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, volperdinger said:

Link?

And don't you mean Bus lobby? Buses replaced the trolly's.....cars just supplemented  the conjestion for an entirely different reason....

12 hours ago, volperdinger said:

I lived in Linthicum at the time the light rail expanded there. We were assured that that the projections that guaranteed an increase in violent crime were just a myth. The payment system at the time, was the honor system. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Same myth was perpetrated on Ownings Mills residents. 

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Thanks for proving my point. Buses.....not car conspiracy (theory) ..but I am sure that more than a few politicians across the nations got a nice bribe .....oooopppppsss...sorry contribution. :D

That's me doing your work for you. ;)

Edited by Pickle20

45 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

That's me doing your work for you. ;)

If you are expecting an atah boy....you got  your allotment for the day. 

On 5/1/2018 at 5:39 PM, pepper said:

Arundel Mills is one of our clients, and they're currently adding a 17 story hotel, and some other developments the public isn't supposed to know about. You'd be surprised how often developments are planned that we are told not to mention outside the office. 

Anyway, back in the 80's Baltimore started installing cameras and a system to manipulate lights in certain intersections. But it's not like in The Italian Job, where a nerd can throw all the lights green or red to facilitate a heist, or just a commute. The actual problem is volume and inconsiderate drivers. Any attempt to mess with flow at one signal will only cause massive issues up and down the line so it's almost never done that way. Typically, signals are fixed or adjusted from the control box at the site. I've been in the field with signal pros at places like 24 and 95, and I wouldn't touch a thing, but you could easily switch all movements to red or green for some GTA 5 style mayhem. Thing is, people that go into those boxes are liable so it doesn't happen. 

Most intersections are now using camera detection which is a huge improvement over the old in ground loop detectors. (loop detectors are wires in the ground that sense your cars magnetic field to trigger a phase. Doesn't always work for motorcycles)

Theres also a device called an Opticon, that can actually sense the lights from an approaching emergency vehicle and give them the green. And theres tech that will probably become a fixture, where your car communicates with the signal, and will automatically brake to prevent running a red light. 

Sorry for the long winded posts on this thread. My wife just asked if I was writing a book..

In AA County the Developer is required to have public hearings before final approvals on subdivisions, It's crazy because normally very few people attend.  There is a small section of Glen Burnie that is developing at a very rapid pace.  Along Marley Neck Blvd there are already close to 3000 new homes and there are more to come.  There is a hearing next week regarding another community that will have almost 1000 more homes. This area cannot handle it. Schools, roads, police, fire and even the hospitals. The numbers are mind numbing. 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:15 PM, ODENTON said:

Odenton was once a sleepy old town.......now😳. RT 100 needs widening past AMs and RT97 evening rush hour is backed up from RT50 to RT32. They seem to be developing but doing nothing with the roads. There’s a WaWa in Gambrills in the middle of 301 and Royal Farms are planning to build directly across from the WaWa. It’s going to be a royal mess. 

I know Odenton very well, I used to manage a very large HOA there. I was there earlier this week and I could not believe the changes.  especially by the Metro stop. The whole Odenton/Gambrills area is crazy. I was glad to hear they are putting a high school in near Crofton, Arundel HS is busting at the seams. I wasn't aware of the Royal Farms going in, that's a huge WaWa. and that intersection is already a mess.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, Guido2 said:

Thuggery by mass transit in the 1950’s/60’s wasn’t even on the worst miscreants’ radar back then. 

19 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

In AA County the Developer is required to have public hearings before final approvals on subdivisions, It's crazy because normally very few people attend.  There is a small section of Glen Burnie that is developing at a very rapid pace.  Along Marley Neck Blvd there are already close to 3000 new homes and there are more to come.  There is a hearing next week regarding another community that will have almost 1000 more homes. This area cannot handle it. Schools, roads, police, fire and even the hospitals. The numbers are mind numbing. 

The roads definitely cannot handle it, which is all the more reason to invest in mass transit.

10 hours ago, volperdinger said:

Thuggery by mass transit in the 1950’s/60’s wasn’t even on the worst miscreants’ radar back then. 

Post fail. :rolleyes:

Your "miscreants" back then were forced to sit at the back of the trolley, drink from separate fountains, eat at different diners and too busy looking over their shoulder for where the next racist attack would come from.

Nice try though.

On 5/3/2018 at 11:46 AM, Cowboyz said:

We are involved in just about every residential development along Marley Neck Blvd., and be sure, except for a small cemetery, pretty much every wooded parcel is accounted for. What isn't done or proposed as residential, will be filled by commercial because all those new homeowners will of course need a new Royal Farms, etc...I did a study at Holly Ridge just this week. Those homes are currently surrounded by nice woods. I'm sure it's a selling point. Unless you can afford the higher end communities like Tanyard Cove, your view today, will not be your view by the time your new baby starts first grade. 

We used to ride dirt bikes where White Marsh mall is now, and had no idea, but White marsh as it is today was already a done deal in the 50's.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:29 AM, Baltimatt said:

Why is working downtown miserable?   Lots of lunch spots and other shopping within walking distance.  The bus drops you off close to your office.

If you don’t live downtown, but work downtown, then you need to drive (if you want to keep your job).  

The traffic and perpetual road construction is agonizingly costly of time.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, pepper said:

We are involved in just about every residential development along Marley Neck Blvd., and be sure, except for a small cemetery, pretty much every wooded parcel is accounted for. What isn't done or proposed as residential, will be filled by commercial because all those new homeowners will of course need a new Royal Farms, etc...I did a study at Holly Ridge just this week. Those homes are currently surrounded by nice woods. I'm sure it's a selling point. Unless you can afford the higher end communities like Tanyard Cove, your view today, will not be your view by the time your new baby starts first grade. 

We used to ride dirt bikes where White Marsh mall is now, and had no idea, but White marsh as it is today was already a done deal in the 50's.

Residents here are anxious for some commercial stores, they are impatiently waiting for Lenar to develop the commercially zoned area in Tanyard Springs.  I keep  thinking watch what you wish for.  Once the commercial areas are built it will be so much worse in my opinion. I'm really hoping a new traffic signal goes in between Creekside Village and Tanyard Cove North (which isn't developed yet).  People drive like maniacs from Spencer Road to the light at Tanyard Springs and Tanyard Cove South. The only thing that happened on Marley Neck Blvd when I was a kid was drag racing after football games on Friday nights.  I believe there used to be a pretty big homeless camp in this area also but I believe most of them have moved over near the light rail. 

Posted (edited)

I drive out of town a lot. Traffic pretty much sucks everywhere.

Development has exploded without upgrades to infrastructure. What is needed is an efficient rail network that can get you from point A to B faster than driving.

Edited by Pickle20

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

I drive out of town a lot. Traffic pretty much sucks everywhere.

Development has exploded without upgrades to infrastructure. What is needed is an efficient rail network that can get you from point A to B faster than driving.

That's fine if there is a lot of movement between A and B.  Trouble is, most people aren't going from A to B, but from scattered origins to scattered destinations.

If you're on a barrier island like Ocean City, MD, frequent bus or even rail service would be great.  In most of the rest of the state, travel patterns aren't so concentrated.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, Pickle20 said:

Post fail. :rolleyes:

Your "miscreants" back then were forced to sit at the back of the trolley, drink from separate fountains, eat at different diners and too busy looking over their shoulder for where the next racist attack would come from.

Nice try though.

Hmmmmm.....kinda interesting.

When all that was happening back then.....did they have 300 homicides in the city?;)

Just wondering.