Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Why is traffic so bad in Baltimore?

142 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Hmmmmm.....kinda interesting.

When all that was happening back then.....did they have 300 homicides in the city?;)

Just wondering. 

This is a new low for you. Enjoy it.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:22 AM, Pickle20 said:

The roads definitely cannot handle it, which is all the more reason to invest in mass transit.

Regardless of what you think of me. I am all for mass transit. 

Provided:

They actually go where I want to go

They actually maintain a fairly reliable schedule that I can depend on

That when going from point A to point B. That my reasonable expectation is that a 15 minute car ride turns into to an hour of transfers and such. 

Fix all that.... :)

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

This is a new low for you. Enjoy it.

No joy at all. You are jumping to conclusions.

Even with all the flaws of 'Black Crow'.....everybody ...black and white....were more civilized and law abiding. 

That is NOT the case at the moment. 

Simple as that. 

Now what you spin in your head.......

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

No joy at all. You are jumping to conclusions.

Even with all the flaws of 'Black Crow'.....everybody ...black and white....were more civilized and law abiding. 

That is NOT the case at the moment. 

Simple as that. 

Now what you spin in your head.......

And THIS is a new low, just a minute after your last new low.

Amazing.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

And THIS is a new low, just a minute after your last new low.

Amazing.

Actually what is amazing is how easy it is to play with your head. 

I don't have to do a thing...you are messing with yourself. 

Amazing. 

Edited by Guido2

47 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Actually what is amazing is how easy it is to play with your head. 

I don't have to do a thing...you are messing with yourself. 

Amazing. 

You said what you said. It's out there. This has nothing to do with me.

17 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

You said what you said. It's out there. This has nothing to do with me.

Didn't Popeye say something like that. 

Too many people live in the state now and that's a fact. No need to do studies and fix things. The place I grew up in looks like Rockville now. Back in the old days it was easy to get around Baltimore and the surrounding counties. Thank god the only time I visit the area is on weekends. 

4 hours ago, WhatintheHell said:

Too many people live in the state now and that's a fact. No need to do studies and fix things. The place I grew up in looks like Rockville now. Back in the old days it was easy to get around Baltimore and the surrounding counties. Thank god the only time I visit the area is on weekends. 

Don't worry.....after Hogans second term....a dem gov will come in ... and the Red Line will be built. 

It will fix EVERYTHING. :D

9 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

Residents here are anxious for some commercial stores, they are impatiently waiting for Lenar to develop the commercially zoned area in Tanyard Springs.  I keep  thinking watch what you wish for.  Once the commercial areas are built it will be so much worse in my opinion. I'm really hoping a new traffic signal goes in between Creekside Village and Tanyard Cove North (which isn't developed yet).  People drive like maniacs from Spencer Road to the light at Tanyard Springs and Tanyard Cove South. The only thing that happened on Marley Neck Blvd when I was a kid was drag racing after football games on Friday nights.  I believe there used to be a pretty big homeless camp in this area also but I believe most of them have moved over near the light rail. 

Every new residential access point along Marley Neck will eventually get a light. Along the entire length, it will be two through lanes in each direction, and that along with the increased volume demands it. I've done conceptual work for every development you've mentioned, and a few you might not be aware of.

Just IMO, it's cool you have memories of drag races ( I grew up in the Thunderbird-Circle era) and kids today, most can't even drive a manual, and think a juice can exhaust on a Japanese car makes it a race car. 

I'm doing traffic studies this week along WB&A at Clarks Crossing Rd. Thats still very rural, and while I don't know whats going on there, I know it doesn't bode well for the people that live along this still very quiet stretch. 

16 hours ago, pepper said:

Every new residential access point along Marley Neck will eventually get a light. Along the entire length, it will be two through lanes in each direction, and that along with the increased volume demands it. I've done conceptual work for every development you've mentioned, and a few you might not be aware of.

Just IMO, it's cool you have memories of drag races ( I grew up in the Thunderbird-Circle era) and kids today, most can't even drive a manual, and think a juice can exhaust on a Japanese car makes it a race car. 

LOL... maybe we've met.  I've met a lot of inspectors and attended quite a few meetings. I didn't mention the smaller communities being developed, just the larger ones. 

Awwwww, the good old days. Different times now, cops used to run us off from the drag racing, if they did it now they'd be arrested if caught. 

16 hours ago, pepper said:

I'm doing traffic studies this week along WB&A at Clarks Crossing Rd. Thats still very rural, and while I don't know whats going on there, I know it doesn't bode well for the people that live along this still very quiet stretch. 

Out of curiosity what, other than more roads would make the area traffic more bearable. Would a light rail spur, first mile last mile bus travel. trolley or anything else.

7 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

LOL... maybe we've met.  I've met a lot of inspectors and attended quite a few meetings. I didn't mention the smaller communities being developed, just the larger ones. 

Awwwww, the good old days. Different times now, cops used to run us off from the drag racing, if they did it now they'd be arrested if caught. 

If you and Pepper want some good ol' illegal street drag'n.....it still does exist.

If you get the the 70 east ramp off of Security Blvd in Woodlawn....the ramp that 'ends' 70 after the aborted build through the city.

Get on the ramp head west....about 1/2 mile down you will see some very serious 'tire burns'.  I don't know the schedule I don't even know if there is one.....but I do know when the weather is like this.....I can hear the engines and stuff for a few hours after the sun goes down on most any day. And sometimes...the next day when I drive on that stretch.... I see 'tell tale' signs of activity....like knocked down reflectors marking the road and bits an pieces of cars and oil. 

Seems cops don't care. Take that back. I think it is because no one really has jurisdiction. I say that because that section of road seems to be in a 'limbo' spot is it local, is it state is it county.....judging by the multiple beginning of 'signs'.

Have fun

BTW my two nieces were Jr Drag racing champions out in NJ a few years back. Now off to college. Their Dad is big time into Drag racing ...amateur. 

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If you and Pepper want some good ol' illegal street drag'n.....it still does exist.

If you get the the 70 east ramp off of Security Blvd in Woodlawn....the ramp that 'ends' 70 after the aborted build through the city.

Get on the ramp head west....about 1/2 mile down you will see some very serious 'tire burns'.  I don't know the schedule I don't even know if there is one.....but I do know when the weather is like this.....I can hear the engines and stuff for a few hours after the sun goes down on most any day. And sometimes...the next day when I drive on that stretch.... I see 'tell tale' signs of activity....like knocked down reflectors marking the road and bits an pieces of cars and oil. 

Seems cops don't care. Take that back. I think it is because no one really has jurisdiction. I say that because that section of road seems to be in a 'limbo' spot is it local, is it state is it county.....judging by the multiple beginning of 'signs'.

Have fun

BTW my two nieces were Jr Drag racing champions out in NJ a few years back. Now off to college. Their Dad is big time into Drag racing ...amateur. 

I was coming back from a night out in the city a few years ago, took Route 40 to Cooks Lane to Route 70. It was about midnight, and I come up the ramp to the park and ride area and...stand still. There's about 50 cars there, a crowd, and all the sudden I hear tires squealing, and motors revving. Street race. Everyone hurries back into their cars and scatter...it was very efficient.  I wasn't sitting there for 5 mins before I was moving again. Pretty crazy.

4 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I was coming back from a night out in the city a few years ago, took Route 40 to Cooks Lane to Route 70. It was about midnight, and I come up the ramp to the park and ride area and...stand still. There's about 50 cars there, a crowd, and all the sudden I hear tires squealing, and motors revving. Street race. Everyone hurries back into their cars and scatter...it was very efficient.  I wasn't sitting there for 5 mins before I was moving again. Pretty crazy.

I have never personally witnessed it. But now that you describe it. I remember this.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/02/25/md-state-police-shut-down-illegal-street-race-in-baltimore-co/

But it seems they are back at it.... I hear it very clearly from my home which is a  good mile or so away as the crow fly's. 

5 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

Hi Cowboyz

If you're employed by a land developer, a road design and study company or a civil engineer, I may have heard your name, but I've only been doing this for 4 years, and I'm just the concept/ signing and pavement marking guy, and I've never been to a meeting out side of the office. 

I was out on Marley Neck Blvd. today.  I wouldn't mind one of the waterfront homes in Tanyard Cove South. Once they're done at Curtis creek I'd have a nice commute for at least 5 years or so.. At the North development still under construction, the road looks like it hasn't been improved beyond a long ago widening from single country lane. That will be totally redone and signalized. Ultimately I believe Marley Neck will be two through lanes in each direction with a two way left turn lane down the middle. (with dedicated left turn lanes at each development) There will likely be bike compatible shoulders on each side as well. Unless a waiver is granted or there's no widening, you have to provide a bike lane.

You're right about the racing, and in context and slightly faded memories that for me easily filter out the bad, they really were the good old times. I am so glad that social media as it is today didn't exist. 

7 minutes ago, pepper said:

Hi Cowboyz

If you're employed by a land developer, a road design and study company or a civil engineer, I may have heard your name, but I've only been doing this for 4 years, and I'm just the concept/ signing and pavement marking guy, and I've never been to a meeting out side of the office. 

I was out on Marley Neck Blvd. today.  I wouldn't mind one of the waterfront homes in Tanyard Cove South. Once they're done at Curtis creek I'd have a nice commute for at least 5 years or so.. At the North development still under construction, the road looks like it hasn't been improved beyond a long ago widening from single country lane. That will be totally redone and signalized. Ultimately I believe Marley Neck will be two through lanes in each direction with a two way left turn lane down the middle. (with dedicated left turn lanes at each development) There will likely be bike compatible shoulders on each side as well. Unless a waiver is granted or there's no widening, you have to provide a bike lane.

You're right about the racing, and in context and slightly faded memories that for me easily filter out the bad, they really were the good old times. I am so glad that social media as it is today didn't exist. 

Heading towards Pasadena on Marley Neck, they haven't done any improvement past Tanyard Springs.  My guess is Elm Street Development will be addressing that stretch as they are developing Tanyard North.  Atapco Properties, the Developer of Creekside Village took care of the stretch in front of Creekside and they added the light at Spencer. It's getting there but the plans I saw don't show anymore widening and they didn't show a light at Creekside and Tanyard South which concerns me.  Maybe they have been updated.  

Have you seen the waterfront park at Tanyard Cove South?  It's gated down there now so you might not be able to access it by car.  It's really nice, they put in a pier with boat slips. Those are sold by lottery though so a lot of people over there are pissed because they thought they would have a pier, they are also only selling a few at a time or they lose that marketing ability. It's nice over there, but has it's issues like any other HOA.  I work closely with the the Developer and Engineering firm but not for them.     

True, true about the social media and not growing up with it.  I tell my boys that all the time! 

6 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Out of curiosity what, other than more roads would make the area traffic more bearable. Would a light rail spur, first mile last mile bus travel. trolley or anything else.

Hi Sparky 

On this, I might be a nickles width above a layman, so this is just my opinion.

Existing roads can't possibly keep up with rising development. It's attempted and by adding lanes or stuff like the 95 ETL's (packed every morning, just like the main 95, except it keeps moving at speed till Moravia)

I honestly think the answer is with autonomous cars. I think it will be the only option and that we're looking at maybe 40 years? I say 40 not because I don't think the tech will be around to do it right, just that we love our cars. I know I do, and the downside is that every car would have to be in sync. That would mean you wouldn't be allowed to take your original 68 Camaro down 97, or any other road. 

Tech exists to eliminate traffic signals and make them safer and more free flowing. The legislation and ability of the automakers, and the culture of the consumer isn't. But change is always accelerating. My co-worker just had a baby and it struck me that it's very likely that the child might never actually drive a car. His loss if that happens, imo.

In the future ,currently signalized intersections will to detect  each cars position in advance and adjust it's speed to allow seamless weaving at higher speed. You might not want to look out the window, but you'll probably be doing something else anyway. It'l take a generation to become cool with it. You can Youtube or Google it, it's interesting.

Imagine a caravan of linked cars (trucks is another issue, or maybe not) going down 95 through the tunnels, 3 feet apart going 80. 

More people would rather commute in their cars than ride the bus. This might be more specific to Baltimore and it's setup, but I really doubt the people in NYC crammed in leaky, nasty, perpetually delayed trains wouldn't rather just hop in their cars if that option was even viable. I commute 95 every week, going on 36 years. I work near the airport so there might be some sort of combination bus way to get there, but it would suck and take too long. I check traffic before I leave the house and in route so I can pick another route on the fly, which is an enormous advantage. 

I think that if enough people thought mass transit was a great option we'd very quickly reach a tipping point, with roads clogged with buses instead of cars. In this area, I can't imagine the powers doing anything so we'll never know.

I have never used mass transit, all I know of it is what I read here and in the news. With that info I'm not willing to give it a try.

6 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Have fun

Sorry, Guido, I'm to old to be standing in front of a judge explaining why I was there. I got it out of my system long ago. Today it's legal shows and events. 

Also, I'm guessing it's more imports than muscle, more bought than built.  I know there's exceptions just as back in the day with the serious people, but when I was in high school, (in Essex) everyone actually did their own Chevell, Camaro, Nova etc...I had the only import car with ability that I knew of. I once saw at Thunderbird an MG with a smallblock, but it was unheard of. Swapping cams was up there, but not unusual, and most guys ( I knew one girl with an insane Charger) knew how to get more out of their cars. Today, you have to be a tech with a computer and code skills to adjust the timing. 

46 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Heading towards Pasadena on Marley Neck, they haven't done any improvement past Tanyard Springs.  My guess is Elm Street Development will be addressing that stretch as they are developing Tanyard North.  Atapco Properties, the Developer of Creekside Village took care of the stretch in front of Creekside and they added the light at Spencer. It's getting there but the plans I saw don't show anymore widening and they didn't show a light at Creekside and Tanyard South which concerns me.  Maybe they have been updated.  

Have you seen the waterfront park at Tanyard Cove South?  It's gated down there now so you might not be able to access it by car.  It's really nice, they put in a pier with boat slips. Those are sold by lottery though so a lot of people over there are pissed because they thought they would have a pier, they are also only selling a few at a time or they lose that marketing ability. It's nice over there, but has it's issues like any other HOA.  I work closely with the the Developer and Engineering firm but not for them.     

True, true about the social media and not growing up with it.  I tell my boys that all the time! 

Average speed and volume (especially from developments with a lot of left turn out volume) determine the need for a signal. That, and the number of accidents. A lot of the improvements you're looking for are still conceptual or have yet to be approved. Plans go back and forth as they are submitted, with revisions that have to be addressed and it's government and moves slowly. Consider, everywhere you see some sort of roadwork, even if it's not a big deal, a maintenance of traffic plan must be done and submitted, and comments come back, and it's submitted again...until it's approved which can take forever. You just can't go out and shut down a lane with cones and a flagger quickly.

"Tanyard Cove" north and south, have been constants at work for the 4 years I've been here and it's a few years from being done.

Interesting about the Cove boat slip situation. Personally (and not fair, my wife did 20 years in high end real estate, so we would know what to ask) I wouldn't sign without an assurance, and at those prices, we'd walk without it. There are simply too many developments (proposed and established) to pick from. 

I did check out the park, but the area was under construction at the time. I do have a newer F-150, with a flashing light and I'm wearing a vest, so no one cares when I drive through areas that I wouldn't do with my wife's car. Honestly, these places are the only times I get to go 4WD for fun.

46 minutes ago, pepper said:

Sorry, Guido, I'm to old to be standing in front of a judge explaining why I was there. I got it out of my system long ago. Today it's legal shows and events. 

Also, I'm guessing it's more imports than muscle, more bought than built.  I know there's exceptions just as back in the day with the serious people, but when I was in high school, (in Essex) everyone actually did their own Chevell, Camaro, Nova etc...I had the only import car with ability that I knew of. I once saw at Thunderbird an MG with a smallblock, but it was unheard of. Swapping cams was up there, but not unusual, and most guys ( I knew one girl with an insane Charger) knew how to get more out of their cars. Today, you have to be a tech with a computer and code skills to adjust the timing. 

My father was a master mechanic and used to work on the Indy 500 offey's that his boss ran. And I used to know my way around a tool box also. could tune a car with a matchbook cover, a set of points (remember them) and a file for the sparkplugs. Got a lot of dates that way in college. 

Now....forget it. I still have an old Jeep (86)...straight 6 iron block....250,000 miles still runs great get around 21mpg (yeah I tinkered) ..beauty is I can still work on it. 

My wife says...'don't you tink you need a new truck'....I think...'hmmmmmm maybe only spend 4000 for a pro to do a re-furb and paint job....and they can bury me in it. 

:lol:

BTW ....IMHO....regarding techs/computers/cars......as my Dad used to say ...these new mechanics aren't mechanics ....they are part swappers. :D

14 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

My father was a master mechanic and used to work on the Indy 500 offey's that his boss ran. And I used to know my way around a tool box also. could tune a car with a matchbook cover, a set of points (remember them) and a file for the sparkplugs. Got a lot of dates that way in college. 

Now....forget it. I still have an old Jeep (86)...straight 6 iron block....250,000 miles still runs great get around 21mpg (yeah I tinkered) ..beauty is I can still work on it. 

My wife says...'don't you tink you need a new truck'....I think...'hmmmmmm maybe only spend 4000 for a pro to do a re-furb and paint job....and they can bury me in it. 

:lol:

BTW ....IMHO....regarding techs/computers/cars......as my Dad used to say ...these new mechanics aren't mechanics ....they are part swappers. :D

NOT ANY MORE. 

Today, nothing could be farther from the truth.

“WE’RE NOT MECHANICS; WE’RE AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIANS,” SAYS LEBLANC, THE INDEPENDENT SHOP OWNER. “YOU PRACTICALLY NEED TO BE AN I.T. GUY TO WORK ON NEW CARS.

“In the old days, you might flip open a repair manual and look at the wiring diagram—you could fold the whole thing out on four pages,” says Ken VomSaal, a tech at a Maryland BMW dealership, as he works through a stop-start-switch problem on a BMW 7-series set up in one of the classrooms.

Now, wiring diagrams are too large to print on foldouts; they’re all on the diagnostic computer. “Reading wiring diagrams now is like learning another language,” he says.

“I think it’s important for people to know that fixing cars is not your father’s mechanic job anymore—it’s very technical and requires an ability to work with your hands and use your brain,” Serratore says. “We need to let our young people know that this is still a viable career option for them.”

Read the link and learn.

15 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

NOT ANY MORE. 

Today, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Read the link and learn.

I am not demeaning what they do....please understand that. But, back in the day a mechanic may walk in with a basic set of skills... much was seniors saying....'well yah ...it says in the manual...you are supposed to do that...never worked....now this is what really fixes that.' It seems unless the machine tells them what to do they are clueless.

And I don't say that lightly. My last experience was with an AC in my van. I usually handle such things...but ....it was due for X year check up....and I mentioned that the AC was acting weird...just accept that ...it is to much to go into. Anyway, they did the usual over priced stuff....and guess what....they could not find anything wrong with the AC....they said they ran the machine on it twice it was ok. 

Well... I brought it home...got a can of AC charger......fixed....runs like a champ.

However they were nice enough to deduct the AC checking machines cost (189.00) ....because they (the machine) couldn't find anything....wasn't that special. :rolleyes:

Yup a feeble old broken down backyard mechanic fixed it. For 20 bucks and 15 minutes time. 

14 hours ago, pepper said:

Hi Sparky 

On this, I might be a nickles width above a layman, so this is just my opinion.

Existing roads can't possibly keep up with rising development. It's attempted and by adding lanes or stuff like the 95 ETL's (packed every morning, just like the main 95, except it keeps moving at speed till Moravia)

I honestly think the answer is with autonomous cars. I think it will be the only option and that we're looking at maybe 40 years? I say 40 not because I don't think the tech will be around to do it right, just that we love our cars. I know I do, and the downside is that every car would have to be in sync. That would mean you wouldn't be allowed to take your original 68 Camaro down 97, or any other road. 

Tech exists to eliminate traffic signals and make them safer and more free flowing. The legislation and ability of the automakers, and the culture of the consumer isn't. But change is always accelerating. My co-worker just had a baby and it struck me that it's very likely that the child might never actually drive a car. His loss if that happens, imo.

In the future ,currently signalized intersections will to detect  each cars position in advance and adjust it's speed to allow seamless weaving at higher speed. You might not want to look out the window, but you'll probably be doing something else anyway. It'l take a generation to become cool with it. You can Youtube or Google it, it's interesting.

Imagine a caravan of linked cars (trucks is another issue, or maybe not) going down 95 through the tunnels, 3 feet apart going 80. 

More people would rather commute in their cars than ride the bus. This might be more specific to Baltimore and it's setup, but I really doubt the people in NYC crammed in leaky, nasty, perpetually delayed trains wouldn't rather just hop in their cars if that option was even viable. I commute 95 every week, going on 36 years. I work near the airport so there might be some sort of combination bus way to get there, but it would suck and take too long. I check traffic before I leave the house and in route so I can pick another route on the fly, which is an enormous advantage. 

I think that if enough people thought mass transit was a great option we'd very quickly reach a tipping point, with roads clogged with buses instead of cars. In this area, I can't imagine the powers doing anything so we'll never know.

I have never used mass transit, all I know of it is what I read here and in the news. With that info I'm not willing to give it a try.

Thank you for the very extensive answer.