Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Why is traffic so bad in Baltimore?

142 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, pepper said:

Average speed and volume (especially from developments with a lot of left turn out volume) determine the need for a signal. That, and the number of accidents. A lot of the improvements you're looking for are still conceptual or have yet to be approved. Plans go back and forth as they are submitted, with revisions that have to be addressed and it's government and moves slowly. Consider, everywhere you see some sort of roadwork, even if it's not a big deal, a maintenance of traffic plan must be done and submitted, and comments come back, and it's submitted again...until it's approved which can take forever. You just can't go out and shut down a lane with cones and a flagger quickly.

"Tanyard Cove" north and south, have been constants at work for the 4 years I've been here and it's a few years from being done.

Interesting about the Cove boat slip situation. Personally (and not fair, my wife did 20 years in high end real estate, so we would know what to ask) I wouldn't sign without an assurance, and at those prices, we'd walk without it. There are simply too many developments (proposed and established) to pick from. 

I did check out the park, but the area was under construction at the time. I do have a newer F-150, with a flashing light and I'm wearing a vest, so no one cares when I drive through areas that I wouldn't do with my wife's car. Honestly, these places are the only times I get to go 4WD for fun.

I'm glad your wife has the experience, as I understand it many people have been given false promises (or so they say). Get the contract on the boat slip before signing anything and also ask about security measures for the boat slips if you decide to buy there. If you really get serious, hit me up. We can talk about it offline. 

On 5/9/2018 at 8:04 AM, sparky1 said:

Thank you for the very extensive answer. 

lol sorry. I swear I don't do that face to face. 

On 5/9/2018 at 8:33 AM, Cowboyz said:

I'm glad your wife has the experience, as I understand it many people have been given false promises (or so they say). Get the contract on the boat slip before signing anything and also ask about security measures for the boat slips if you decide to buy there. If you really get serious, hit me up. We can talk about it offline. 

I really just think the new homes look nice. Not for us though, if we make a permanent move it's to the beach or hospice.

1 hour ago, pepper said:

I really just think the new homes look nice. Not for us though, if we make a permanent move it's to the beach or hospice.

The next time I move, I'm the one going out in a box.

10 hours ago, pepper said:

lol sorry. I swear I don't do that face to face. 

No, really it is a pleasure to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.    I read an editorial about a modified Red Line that the County and State might be able to fund on their own from Penn Station/Lexington Market out to Woodlawn. In the County I know we also have problems getting from one end of the county to the other without getting on the beltway. and I don't know a good solution. It seems that if you are a student at CCBC Essex or Catonsville and live in Towson without a car, it is easily a 90 minute trip one way to either location (if you can find a mass transit solution at all). 

11 hours ago, pepper said:

I think the the beach is a much better idea!! :) 

MTA recently discontinued three beltway bus routes because of low ridership.   Granted, they didn't run frequently.

• BWI to Owings Mills
  • Old Court to Towson
  • Towson to White Marsh

On 5/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, Cowboyz said:

I think the the beach is a much better idea!! :) 

It's been our long term plan for at least a decade. I fantasize about getting irritated by the summer crowd. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, sparky1 said:

No, really it is a pleasure to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.    I read an editorial about a modified Red Line that the County and State might be able to fund on their own from Penn Station/Lexington Market out to Woodlawn. In the County I know we also have problems getting from one end of the county to the other without getting on the beltway. and I don't know a good solution. It seems that if you are a student at CCBC Essex or Catonsville and live in Towson without a car, it is easily a 90 minute trip one way to either location (if you can find a mass transit solution at all). 

HELP I AM BEING HELD HOSTAGE BY WEST SIDE 695 ROAD REPAIR.

Ok this is getting ridiculous. For about 3 years here on the west side around the Security Blvd. exit...that traffic had been bad...because work was being done north ...around Reisterstown Road...and south at the exchange of 95 and 695. So that finally finished. 

NOW they are working on another section around Reisterstown ( a much bigger project) and around Catonsville. (again a much bigger project). So...now...regardless of what time you wish to maybe use the road between those two sections....it is gridlock.....again.

I dunno ....it is pretty sad commentary when it is faster for me to use back roads with stop lights and the rest....than to use the beltway. 

If it weren't for my wife ..... I would have said screw this and moved.

Ridiculous 45 minutes to go 10 miles. 

Rant over....sorry. 

On 5/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, Guido2 said:

Ok this is getting ridiculous. For about 3 years here on the west side around the Security Blvd. exit...that traffic had been bad...because work was being done north ...around Reisterstown Road...and south at the exchange of 95 and 695. So that finally finished. 

NOW they are working on another section around Reisterstown ( a much bigger project) and around Catonsville. (again a much bigger project). So...now...regardless of what time you wish to maybe use the road between those two sections....it is gridlock.....again.

I dunno ....it is pretty sad commentary when it is faster for me to use back roads with stop lights and the rest....than to use the beltway. 

Rant over....sorry. 

That stretch of 695 has been under construction in one way or another for 20 years. Time to get started on that upper level all the way around the whole thing.

On 5/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, Guido2 said:

Rant over....sorry. 

We had Mother's Day brunch at the restaurant my son works at downtown. After that his wife had asked us to stop by the one she works at in Port Covington. So to head back to Pa. and not pay the tunnel we got on 95 to take 695 E. 95 was fine and the 1st part on 695 was but from Frederick Rd to Liberty Rd was very heavy stop & go traffic. This was a Sunday around 3:30. No lane closures were seen. Must have been that Mother's Day rush hour traffic ......

8 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

That stretch of 695 has been under construction in one way or another for 20 years. Time to get started on that upper level all the way around the whole thing.

My wife has lived here pretty much all her life .. she says that the screwed around with 695 for so long that it was behind the traffic curb by a decade by the time it officially opened. I have read that also.

I also read that way back when; that both DC and Balt. beltways were intend to be double loops. That is an inner for local/city traffic and an outer for traffic of the RT 95 and 70 type....interstate traffic. 

I am not an engineer.....but ...it doesn't take a degree to figure out that these 'imporvements' are not even bandaids. Yes the widen the road for a stretch then the hit constriction points like the 'mixing bowl' of 70 and the beltway. Where the ramps and supports are near impossible to be moved to widen the road. For some reason the west side vs the remainder of the beltway seem to have a much higher number.

Regardless; this wide road...small road....then wide road...then small road..... I have read that is actually does more harm then good. It gives the impression that traffic is moving but it creates more issues as people jocky to merge and un merge then merge and so on. 

Again some of this is based on facts and some opinion but I agree with you that the only solution is either an upper level like in LA or going back to the original plan of double loops. And I don't need a calculator to figure that cost wise both are prohibitive.

But hey....when we have a new Democratic Govenor....and he/she reinstates the Red Line project.....that will fix everything...right? :lol:

10 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

We had Mother's Day brunch at the restaurant my son works at downtown. After that his wife had asked us to stop by the one she works at in Port Covington. So to head back to Pa. and not pay the tunnel we got on 95 to take 695 E. 95 was fine and the 1st part on 695 was but from Frederick Rd to Liberty Rd was very heavy stop & go traffic. This was a Sunday around 3:30. No lane closures were seen. Must have been that Mother's Day rush hour traffic ......

His restaurant hasn't closed yet due to crime? :lol:

Just now, Pickle20 said:

His restaurant hasn't closed yet due to crime? :lol:

Just opened about 2 months ago. It is close to Central District.

3 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Just opened about 2 months ago. It is close to Central District.

Cool. I wish him the best.

9 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Yes that is the part of the things I was talking about.  Yes even screwed up when there is no construction. I attribute that to texters, talkers and the brain dead not maintaining speed. That section has a very deceptive 'hill'...you may not 'see' but the cars inertia does. Same thing on the outer loop from security to Catonsville.

To many people asleep at the gas peddle. 

On 5/12/2018 at 9:51 AM, pepper said:

It's been our long term plan for at least a decade. I fantasize about getting irritated by the summer crowd. 

I understand that.  I've decided a lake and mountain are much more my speed.  Can't take the traffic and crowds any longer.