Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prodigalson1

The Motions of 96 Million Stars

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the future where we can even envision this sort of thing.

The Gaia Photography Mission

Since July 2014 Gaia has repeatedly photographed the entire sky with the aim of eventually determining precise distances to more than 1 billion stars across the galaxy. Gaia does this by looking for parallax, the slight apparent motion of stars that’s actually due to the spacecraft’s motion in its orbit. (Hold a finger in front of your eyes, then view it with one eye at a time — your finger will appear to move due to the same perspective effect.)

By measuring precise positions, Gaia also sees stars’ proper motions, their movement across the sky. Doppler shifts in spectra measured by other surveys provide the stars’ movement toward and away from Earth, so ultimately we’ll have not just the distances but also the full 3D motion of each of these stars.

Notice the stars that are shooting across the Galaxy and the speed with which they must be traveling.

Notice the fast moving object in the lower right quadrant of the video.

We're on the move too. I read it all, it's in Wikipedia. The Sun is in the Orion Arm of the galaxy and moving towards one of the other Constellations. Look it up yourself, There are a whole bunch of Numbers and Equations that show where we're heading and how fast in so many thousands of years. We're just here for a little while though. We won't really notice any difference down here.

Posted (edited)

On 5/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Bartman said:

We're on the move too. I read it all, it's in Wikipedia. The Sun is in the Orion Arm of the galaxy and moving towards one of the other Constellations. Look it up yourself, There are a whole bunch of Numbers and Equations that show where we're heading and how fast in so many thousands of years. We're just here for a little while though. We won't really notice any difference down here.

I heard on a science documentary that the Milky Way is headed towards the Andromeda Galaxy and eventually they will collide. 

It takes 250 million years for our solar system to complete a revolution of the center of the Milky Way and we are moving not like a record on a turntable in our solar system but like a ferris wheel within the Milly Way. Our solar system moves like a turntable but within the Milky Way it moves like a ferris wheel. 

My awe at the wonder and magnificence of the universe is as close as I get to a feeling of having a religion. It's breathtaking to me.

🙂

Edited by prodigalson1
Correct 'or' to highlighted 'of' having a religion.

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, prodigalson1 said:

I heard on a science documentary that the Milky Way is headed towards the Andromeda Galaxy and eventually they will collide. 

It takes 250 million years for our solar system to complete a revolution of the center of the Milky Way and we are moving not like a record on a turntable in our solar system but like a ferris wheel within the Milly Way. Our solar system moves like a turntable but within the Milky Way it moves like a ferris wheel. 

My awe at the wonder and magnificence of the universe is as close as I get to feeling or having a religion. It's breathtaking to me.

🙂

Yeah that's been known for some time. The thing is that Galaxies "colliding" isn't anything like a car crash. All the gravitational fields will both merge and push apart and likely few if any Stars will really smash together. What will happen is that the two will merge into one Bigger galaxy but it is likely that some stars may be flung out and some pulled in closer to the center of the merging masses. It'll be so Slow that Eons will pass before they both settle into some other form. Hubble has found other Galaxies merging elsewhere in the universe. There are pics of other galaxies that have collided and been flung apart and/or merged. The Milky Way may have already had a close encounter before as shown by the Clouds of Magellan floating on the outskirts of our galaxy. It's really Neat stuff! Religion? It's Physics! There is Order and Dis-order. “The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.” - Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Take a Look!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=merging+galaxies&FORM=HDRSC2

Edited by Bartman

Posted (edited)

On 5/2/2018 at 10:12 PM, Bartman said:

Yeah that's been known for some time. The thing is that Galaxies "colliding" isn't anything like a car crash. All the gravitational fields will both merge and push apart and likely few if any Stars will really smash together. What will happen is that the two will merge into one Bigger galaxy but it is likely that some stars may be flung out and some pulled in closer to the center of the merging masses. It'll be so Slow that Eons will pass before they both settle into some other form. Hubble has found other Galaxies merging elsewhere in the universe. There are pics of other galaxies that have collided and been flung apart and/or merged. The Milky Way may have already had a close encounter before as shown by the Clouds of Magellan floating on the outskirts of our galaxy. It's really Neat stuff! Religion? It's Physics! There is Order and Dis-order. “The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.” - Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Take a Look!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=merging+galaxies&FORM=HDRSC2

Sigh....I'm in awe and amazed.

The people who discover these things amaze me to no end.

And yes, this is way deeper to me than anything I've ever read in a religious tome. 

Edited by prodigalson1